Please stop supporting TVAddons
Using the os.path check method should be pretty fast.
Probably a faster way would be to use os.listdir and then loop (1 system call vs n - number of addons to check)

EDIT:
Updated original code with the os.listdir method.
I haven't tested any of it - but should be mostly correct Smile
It's funny, many here crucified TVA for doing the exact same thing with other addons, might not have been either of you but it was still done by many

Yet look what's taking place in these forums.. sad days it is when I thought this group was beyond this stuff, but here we even have a Kodi Team Member involved

Sorry guys but these are dirty tactics, I spoke up before when I saw it and I will speak up again

To be specific I'm talking about disabling an addon if another is installed, love to hear what users will say when they find out about code like this

Just took a peak over at SuperRepo, one of MANY sites that index addons, I imagine he profits quite well off all your addons: https://superrepo.org/kodi/list/repositories/others/

Catalogs 646 repositories which obviously has no affiliation with nor has asked permission, is profiting off indexing your addons

Pitchforks? Or do we care about only TVA just because it's the popular thing?
If you are taking the side of tvaddons you will not survive long here.

Also do not start finger pointing to others cause really no one gives a fuck.
Tvaddons and superrepo are both serious assholes
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I'm not a developer nor a lawyer etc etc.  But wouldn't it be within the addon author's right to have sort of a "terms of use" for his/her addon?  If he/she wrote the addon, and they don't want their addon used in certain situations, isn't it their right to prohibit such use?  Similar to any anti-piracy stance (as those repos are essentially pirating the author's addon -- and profiting from it).  I'm taking an overly-simplistic view of the topic, but just my opinion.
(2017-10-19, 16:39)Eldorado Wrote: It's funny, many here crucified TVA for doing the exact same thing with other addons, might not have been either of you but it was still done by many

Yet look what's taking place in these forums.. sad days it is when I thought this group was beyond this stuff, but here we even have a Kodi Team Member involved

Sorry guys but these are dirty tactics, I spoke up before when I saw it and I will speak up again

To be specific I'm talking about disabling an addon if another is installed, love to hear what users will say when they find out about code like this

Just took a peak over at SuperRepo, one of MANY sites that index addons, I imagine he profits quite well off all your addons: https://superrepo.org/kodi/list/repositories/others/

Catalogs 646 repositories which obviously has no affiliation with nor has asked permission, is profiting off indexing your addons

"dirty tactics" This is just a discussion... I personally wouldn't approve "popup" code into the Official Repo... however how individual developers handle their own repositories are on them. 

If anything is a dirty tactic... it's the game TVA is playing. Redirecting users to their site, while promoting plugins available in the official repositories. I"m tired of it! Many developers here want NOTHING to do with TVA and have on multiple occasions requested takedowns... which have gone ignored.

Really surprised that you of all people can't understand. This has nothing to do with pitchforks... but rather protecting the good name of honest developers.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Maybe KODI addons needs a "conflicts" addon.xml option.
Works pretty much opposite to "dependencies".

The main issue for me, is that my addons are on a site grouped in with all the banned addons.
Expecially with all their lawsuits etc, it's not something I want my name anywhere near.

At least if their users can't use my addons, then the sites should remove them.
Once they remove them, then I'll remove the disable code.
(2017-10-19, 16:39)Eldorado Wrote: To be specific I'm talking about disabling an addon if another is installed

Actually, you're not being specific enough, and it seems as though you're painting with a brush just broad enough to support a weak argument. So please allow me to be as specific as possible in my statement:

I am not looking to disable any add-ons except my own.  

If a user has add-ons that facilitate piracy on their system, I would like to be able to prevent them from using my add-ons.  If they are my add-ons, then it should be my right to disable them.  If users want to use add-ons that facilitate piracy, disabling my own add-ons will do nothing to interfere with their pirating activities.

Making add-ons is just something that I do for fun.  I don't ask for donations (nor would I accept if they were offered), I'm not looking to make a name for myself, I do this solely for fun and entertainment, and also to give back a little to the legitimate community that has helped me.  Sites like TVA and SR take the fun out of it by trying to capitalize on work that others have done.  I just really don't want to be seen as someone who is willingly a part of what they are doing.

(2017-10-19, 18:08)Lunatixz Wrote: Many developers here want NOTHING to do with TVA and have on multiple occasions requested takedowns... which have gone ignored.

Really surprised that you of all people can't understand. This has nothing to do with pitchforks... but rather protecting the good name of honest developers.

(2017-10-19, 22:08)matthuisman Wrote: The main issue for me, is that my addons are on a site grouped in with all the banned addons.
Expecially with all their lawsuits etc, it's not something I want my name anywhere near.

At least if their users can't use my addons, then the sites should remove them.
Once they remove them, then I'll remove the disable code.

The posts by @Lunatixz and @matthuisman both sum it up rather succinctly for me.  I would prefer my work not be connected with that of those who condone, and facilitate, piracy.  I probably wouldn't mind so much if other sites merely catalogued my add-ons and made them available to others, but when my add-ons (and those of other legitimate coders) are used to promote builds and wizards with the prime intent to facilitate piracy, then I want out.

(2017-10-19, 22:08)matthuisman Wrote: Maybe KODI addons needs a "conflicts" addon.xml option.
Works pretty much opposite to "dependencies".

You are a genius.  I like this idea even better than the disabling code you posted earlier.
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: NEWSnet| NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
I thoroughly sympathise with @matthuisman and @Lunatixz, however the GPL supports the ability to distribute the source code, and with python the source code is the addon is the source code.

Perhaps you need to be looking for another license. I can't think of what might be appropriate offhand.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm stupid. This isn't going to go over very well, but how does the "sanctioned" I'm going to use NFL.com outweigh looking for third party feeds? I can download a addon from the official "sanctioned" kodi repo, that gives me the same results as the "non-sanctioned" third party repo. PBS kids is down. METV is down. NFL.com is down. So you have explicated rights from the nlf, nhl, nba, nhl, to rebroadcast programming? It tells you at the time of the broadcast you don't unless you have "permission" METV is another one? I'm confused why you even care about TVaddons. Keep doing what you feel is right, and forget them. My build is 98% from the kodi repo. But too much has been failing, forcing me to look "outside" the "official" box. You want to Meet Oscar the grouch? meet my kids who can't watch PBS! I'm hiding in the garage!
(2017-10-20, 05:34)nickr Wrote: I thoroughly sympathise with @matthuisman and @Lunatixz, however the GPL supports the ability to distribute the source code, and with python the source code is the addon is the source code.

Perhaps you need to be looking for another license. I can't think of what might be appropriate offhand.
As nickr said look for another license, made me think does the US not have a laws you could use i am thinking something that has to do with "sites" known for breaking the law, and after a quick look it seems TVA is all about how to get everything for free.
I apologize if this looks like rubbish, i have a clear idea in my head about what i mean but i can't seem to write what i mean sorry about that.
I hope someone has a faint idea about what i am getting at.
Thank you
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
(2017-10-19, 18:08)Lunatixz Wrote:
(2017-10-19, 16:39)Eldorado Wrote: It's funny, many here crucified TVA for doing the exact same thing with other addons, might not have been either of you but it was still done by many

"dirty tactics" This is just a discussion... I personally wouldn't approve "popup" code into the Official Repo... however how individual developers handle their own repositories are on them. 

If anything is a dirty tactic... it's the game TVA is playing. Redirecting users to their site, while promoting plugins available in the official repositories. I"m tired of it! Many developers here want NOTHING to do with TVA and have on multiple occasions requested takedowns... which have gone ignored.

Really surprised that you of all people can't understand. This has nothing to do with pitchforks... but rather protecting the good name of honest developers.
I do understand very well and I've always tried my best to step back and try to view the argument from both sides.. I'm really on neither side in this battle, I don't care really - in terms of other sites indexing other addons

But based on the quick response here I think it's you guys who are not understanding what I am saying, your view on what TVA or any other site does is your view and shared by others here, you don't like them advertising your addons and I respect that, when my now-dead repo was passed around I didn't like it either and fought against it.. to no avail (super repo)

My beef is with putting in 'virus' (as was referred to here) type actions into addons, this turns into yet another site war and with the critics from this site on what happened there, this is the last type of thing I would expect to read here

Do your other tactics, editing xml or whatever.. but putting in code to block other addons = a step over the line, always and always will be
(2017-10-20, 00:37)MetalChris Wrote:
(2017-10-19, 16:39)Eldorado Wrote: To be specific I'm talking about disabling an addon if another is installed

Actually, you're not being specific enough, and it seems as though you're painting with a brush just broad enough to support a weak argument. So please allow me to be as specific as possible in my statement:

If a user has add-ons that facilitate piracy on their system, I would like to be able to prevent them from using my add-ons.  If they are my add-ons, then it should be my right to disable them.  If users want to use add-ons that facilitate piracy, disabling my own add-ons will do nothing to interfere with their pirating activities.

Making add-ons is just something that I do for fun.  I don't ask for donations (nor would I accept if they were offered), I'm not looking to make a name for myself, I do this solely for fun and entertainment, and also to give back a little to the legitimate community that has helped me.  Sites like TVA and SR take the fun out of it by trying to capitalize on work that others have done.  I just really don't want to be seen as someone who is willingly a part of what they are doing.

Actually I was being specific, I know exactly what you were meaning as it was said in this thread so I don't need to draw a picture and re-spell it out to a T

And of course you can do whatever you want in your own addon, anyone can do what they want.. why can't you?

I am pointing out the hypocrisy here where this very forum condemned other sites for doing the EXACT same thing, in my view it's shit and I thought this forum would take a stance against such actions by not allowing talk of it and if an addon went that route they would not be supported on this forum

But apparently because it's TVA (or SR supposedly), it's ok?

As of now, I believe nothing on TVA facilitates piracy, the addon you are targeting (Indigo) is just a tool, I haven't look at it in a while but last I saw it just does system maintenance type actions and installs addons from TVA's repo (?)

btw, looks like the repos/addons mentioned in this thread have been removed from tva site
(2017-10-20, 05:34)nickr Wrote: I thoroughly sympathise with @matthuisman and @Lunatixz, however the GPL supports the ability to distribute the source code, and with python the source code is the addon is the source code.

TVA has no respect for developer's and their work, beefing up the license will change nothing.

Since my work is non-profit it's not economical for me to take legal actions against every violator.

It all boils down to basic decency, which TVA has little of.
(2017-10-20, 15:40)Eldorado Wrote:
(2017-10-20, 00:37)MetalChris Wrote:

Actually I was being specific, I know exactly what you were meaning as it was said in this thread so I don't need to draw a picture and re-spell it out to a T

And of course you can do whatever you want in your own addon, anyone can do what they want.. why can't you?

I am pointing out the hypocrisy here where this very forum condemned other sites for doing the EXACT same thing, in my view it's shit and I thought this forum would take a stance against such actions by not allowing talk of it and if an addon went that route they would not be supported on this forum

But apparently because it's TVA (or SR supposedly), it's ok?

As of now, I believe nothing on TVA facilitates piracy, the addon you are targeting (Indigo) is just a tool, I haven't look at it in a while but last I saw it just does system maintenance type actions and installs addons from TVA's repo (?)

btw, looks like the repos/addons mentioned in this thread have been removed from tva site

I think you are misinformed... I don't condone other sites that pool together plugins like SR... however I've never seen any of them pull shenanigans on par with TVA.

For example : https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi/com...s/do7205d/

TVA went out of its way to produce an article about my work to which they redirect users to.... tying my name and work with their site.

Example 2:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi/com...d_content/

Show me another site that pulls this nonsense?
(2017-10-20, 15:40)Eldorado Wrote: btw, looks like the repos/addons mentioned in this thread have been removed from tva site

Just did a search for my username at TVA and all of my add-ons are still listed.
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: NEWSnet| NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please stop supporting TVAddons2