Auto resulution switcher 1080P/2160P
(2017-08-30, 07:53)Kolabor Wrote:
(2017-08-28, 22:59)Kolabor Wrote: Another question. When I tested this on Kodi win32 build it properly switched resolution from 1080P to 2160P. It would be great if Kodi could show its UI in full 2160P on 4K TVs (yes, it looks great) and also switch resolution down for 1080P movies. Currently it only does it in one way (so it sets higher resolution for movies only, not lower). 1080P UI on 4K TV looks OK but not good or great.

So such options:
For video files that res is >1080P switch to: [selectable res]
For video files that res is <=1080P switch to: [selectable res]

And then current resolution selector would work for Kodi UI.

What about this idea? Or maybe – how can I achieve this right now without such feature in Kodi?

Call a script via python that switches xrandr for you.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Well Fritsch, I'm not a programmer and simply can't do that Sad

Maybe I'll put it once again this way:
If I set Kodi UI resolution 1080P and play 4K file it switches to higher resolution and when I stop it, it goes back to 1080P. How can I "reverse" it? So if I set 2160P resolution on Kodi UI and play 1080P file. Then Kodi doesn't switch resolution to LOWER one and simply plays that file on 2160P.

TVs got much better scaling algorithms than Kodi so it would be much better if Kodi would always switch resolution for played media based on "whats in the file" and regardles of currently set UI resolution. If it is 1080P then switch to 1080P and if it is 4K switch to 2160P. Problem is in Kodi UI. I must say that UI in 2160P on 4K TV looks sharp and beautiful while at 1080P TV scales it up and this looks so-so.

I think that "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" should change device resolution to best match what's inside the played file. Currently it only works upwards not downwards sadly Sad
Polish language translator/maintainer for Grid skin.
Quote:I think that "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" should change device resolution to best match what's inside the played file. Currently it only works upwards not downwards sadly

I completely agree with you.

I run my kodi gui at 4k for the simple reason that kodi's gui image scaling is really bad and running the gui at 4k makes the artwork really sharp.

The problem is that when playing an actual video my TV does a much better job of 1080p to 4k upscaling than kodi does but for some reason kodi will shift resolutions up to 4k when playing 4k content but wont do the reverse shifting down from 4k to 1080p when you play a video of 1080p or lower.
(2017-09-01, 09:56)Kolabor Wrote: TVs got much better scaling algorithms than Kodi so it would be much better if Kodi would always switch resolution for played media based on "whats in the file" and regardles of currently set UI resolution.

Not all of them, my LG OLED B6V is not as good scaler as Kodis lanczos3.

It would be nice to adjust also resolution from advanced settings along with refresh rate because my tv can't do 4k@50Hz, only 1080@50Hz. Real 50fps videos looks horrible in 4k@25Hz mode.
Yes. I thought about advancedsettings.xml too. It would be great if we could simply set few rules. Something like minres and maxres and setres but this should be usable few times (so one rule for 1080P, other for 2160P and so on). That would be great.
I don't plan to implement that as I simply don't have time. PRs are welcome.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Maybe other devs? It could be fixed in much simpler way. Just tell Kodi to adjust resolution also downwards and it will be fixed. Anyone?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto resulution switcher 1080P/2160P0