v17 Can Not Access SMB Shares after 17.4 Update
I an running kodi on Raspberry Pi3 with OSMC. I have a hard drive plug into the ASUS RT-N66U router.

I have had no problem with my SMB shares prior to the 17.4 update on installed 29Aug. I have even loaded a previous image(backup) to another SD card and the shares still work. I guess worst case scenario I can run off the older version.

When I view the share in File Manager I can see the individual folders. When I attempt to open I just get an endless loop of User/Password requests. I am able to navigate to and use the hard drive from computers on the network so I know the UN/PW is correct.

I have tried changing the Maximum Protocol version in settings/services with no luck. I have also tried a few of the fixes from previous updates to edit the smb.conf file. However it seems that upon reboot the smb.conf file is overwritten.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
If you want to add manual changes to your smb client configuration, add your changes to .kodi/.smb/user.conf (you'll need to create it) as this file is "included" by smb.conf.

Setting "maximum protocol" to None should give you a smb,conf configuration similar to previous Kodi versions, ie. you'll only be using SMB1/NT1 and nothing else/better.

Support for the really, really old and insecure "lanman" protocol has been dropped, but if that's what your router needs then you'll need to re-enable it in user.conf.

Code:
client lanman auth = yes
lanman auth = yes
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Milhouse,
Thank you for your fast response. I figured there was something to do with the user.conf but wasn't sure.

I made the change but it still didn't work. so added the following to it.
Code:
client lanman auth = yes      
lanman auth = yes
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no

I was then able to access the shares. For my own "learning" and curiosity I removed the "lanman" lines to test it. It still worked. I then reset the max protocol back to SMBv3 with only the following in the user.conf and it worked.

Code:
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no

Thanks again for your help
It does seem that we may need to reinstate some of the changes we made to smb.conf before; as the
recent Kodi changes don't seem to cover all cases. At least not for us on Debian (presently, Jessie).

See https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/cant-access-...am_nazarko for some
additional discussion.
The strange thing is that the properties which need to be added in order to make the current smb.conf work with these Asus routers, ie.:
Code:
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no
were never included in previous versions of Kodi, so I'm not sure how or why they are needed now.

The only possibly contentious property that has been removed (ie. disabled) is "client lanman auth" but this is for working with absolutely ancient Win95-era Samba servers (even my FreeNAS 8.3 server with Samba 3.6 will work without lanman).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2017-09-04, 06:35)Milhouse Wrote: The strange thing is that the properties which need to be added in order to make the current smb.conf work with these Asus routers, ie.:
Code:
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no
were never included in previous versions of Kodi, so I'm not sure how or why they are needed now.

The only possibly contentious property that has been removed (ie. disabled) is "client lanman auth" but this is for working with absolutely ancient Win95-era Samba servers (even my FreeNAS 8.3 server with Samba 3.6 will work without lanman).

We were patching Kodi's creation of smb.conf to include these two lines. We noticed this became a necessity at some point
in January for some networks; presumably because of Samba security changes in Debian.

We probably need to re-add this patch.
Thanks Sam, hadn't realised you were already adding those in OSMC - as you speculate must be something to do with the underlying OS and/or version/configuration of Samba.
(2017-09-02, 00:38)Milhouse Wrote: If you want to add manual changes to your smb client configuration, add your changes to .kodi/.smb/user.conf (you'll need to create it) as this file is "included" by smb.conf.

Setting "maximum protocol" to None should give you a smb,conf configuration similar to previous Kodi versions, ie. you'll only be using SMB1/NT1 and nothing else/better.

Support for the really, really old and insecure "lanman" protocol has been dropped, but if that's what your router needs then you'll need to re-enable it in user.conf.

Code:
client lanman auth = yes
lanman auth = yes

What if your version of kodi on the pi doesn't have the maximum protocol setting? How do you make it show up under expert if it is not there?
(2017-10-16, 00:33)Mansome Wrote:
(2017-09-02, 00:38)Milhouse Wrote: If you want to add manual changes to your smb client configuration, add your changes to .kodi/.smb/user.conf (you'll need to create it) as this file is "included" by smb.conf.

Code:
client lanman auth = yes
lanman auth = yes

What if your version of kodi on the pi doesn't have the maximum protocol setting? How do you make it show up under expert if it is not there?

If you are on an old version of OSMC, check for updates via My OSMC -> Updates

Sam
Having the same problem.

Only have the "smb.conf" file, no user.conf
Should i create the "user.conf" file on the same place?

Have added the lines:
client lanman auth = yes
lanman auth = yes
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no

Works fine but doesnt survive reboot.
Fix?
(2017-09-04, 14:01)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2017-09-04, 06:35)Milhouse Wrote: The strange thing is that the properties which need to be added in order to make the current smb.conf work with these Asus routers, ie.:
Code:
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no

We were patching Kodi's creation of smb.conf to include these two lines. We noticed this became a necessity at some point
in January for some networks; presumably because of Samba security changes in Debian.

We probably need to re-add this patch.   
         Sam I am having the Exact same issue as diggerules see post 1.

Sam you mentioned that “We were patching Kodi's creation of smb.conf to include these  two lines.”What version of Kodi will this be added?

I have version 17.6 and SMB is not working for me. I have tried SMB 1; 2 and 3 no luck.

Is there a zip that can be downloaded?
Are you using OSMC? Please start a forum post if this is the case
hi, thank you for the code. I am a newbie. Would you please tell me how to have the code or steps to follow in the Raspberry pi 3. Thanks in advance
I AM USING "OPENELEC 8.0.4 KODI 17.3" on a Raspberri PI 3.
(2017-09-02, 16:19)diggerules Wrote: Milhouse,
Thank you for your fast response. I figured there was something to do with the user.conf but wasn't sure.

I made the change but it still didn't work. so added the following to it.
Code:
client lanman auth = yes
lanman auth = yes
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no

I was then able to access the shares. For my own "learning" and curiosity I removed the "lanman" lines to test it. It still worked. I then reset the max protocol back to SMBv3 with only the following in the user.conf and it worked.
Code:
client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no

Thanks again for your help 
I made the changes to my smb.conf file, saved the changes, confirmed the changes via cat smb.conf and then rebooted my computer. When I reopened smb.conf, it had the original contents as though I did not make any changes. So my problem is still there. I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 with Kodi 17.6 as a fresh install.
This FINALLY fixed it!
kodi has been a worthless PoS lately, and beyond frustrating.
Ubuntu was not the problem, as I could access all of the files on my NAS just fine, even when kodi would lose it's shít.
I hope they fix this buggy crap in the next update, as these options are NOT available even under expert as others have said.
I did;

client use spnego = no
client ntlmv2 auth = no
maximum protocol = none

Together they all fixed it. No more losing my connections and having to constantly kill kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can Not Access SMB Shares after 17.4 Update1