HTPC Upgrade advice
Hi there,

I have been using Kodi since the early days. It is the center of my households media experience.
I do believe it is in need of a decent upgrade.

Right now I have the following specs:
Asrock A75M-ITX
AMD A4-3400
120GB SSD
MS-Tech CI-70 (60W)
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3

Although I can do pretty much anything without problems, I do notice it is starting to fall behind a little. Right now I am running the millhouse builds of Kodi 18 and I am especially pleased with the Netflix addon. I have a TvHeadend server in my attic with an HDHomerun 4 tuner tv card.
I notice lag when decoding the netflix streams and when watching TV using software decoding (I use the high end scalers). Also I have a 318LED Hyperion setup.
also it cannot do X265, 3D HSBS and Full SBS works on X264

so, bottomline:
I want to upgrade to a more powerfull setup that can handle 4K HDR content to make it future proof.

Right now I have in mind:
Asus B150I PRO GAMING/AURA
Intel Core i5-7400
G.Skill Aegis F4-2400C17S-8GIS 8GB

rest stays the same.

so, my question:
In terms of power I would prefer to spend the extra money on the i57400T (35W TDP) But I am not sure it can handle 4K HDR using software decoding.
does anyone have experience with this? Intel processors are expensive when compared to amd and I am not about to replace the processor within a few years.
Audio Requirements with Linux/LibreELEC Huh?

Because of - THIS

Read THIS from Intel Mr Chromebox himself.

Consensus from LE developers is do NOT buy the current generation of Apollo / Kaby Lake Hardware that packs the PITA Display Port > HDMI 2.0 adapter.

none...
I have SPDIF going to a Logitech Z906 5.1 set. I am not much of an audiophile.

the board I chose does not have Displayport. Only regular HDMI, SPDIF and DVI-D
Update: Changed the board because of lack of Optic Audio Tongue
Asus B150I PRO GAMING/AURA

(2017-09-02, 11:04)wrxtasy Wrote: Consensus from LE developers is do NOT buy the current generation of Apollo / Kaby Lake Hardware that packs the PITA Display Port > HDMI 2.0 adapter.

However I do not really understand (after reading the linked posts) what the problems entail. can you elaborate?
Do you need x86 at all? Some arm chips will do what you want for under $90.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes, but not because of logical reasons...
I just prefer it this way and I understand the architecture somewhat...
Kaby Lake (& Coffee Lake) Have 8/10Bit HEVC (H.265) Hardware Decoding With Integrated Graphics.. I Too Have This Conundrum i3-7100 or i3-8100 w/ Intel UHD630 (Integrated) Graphics
Okay Nevermind I'm Just Gonna Get A X96 Mini 16GB Android TV Media Box

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Upgrade advice0