MythTV add-on installed but how to use?
I am completely new to Kodi, but I have been using MythTV since January.

I successfully installed Kodi 17.4 on an Amazon TV fire stick, then apparently successfully added the MythTV add-on.

I reconfigured my MythTV backend so that, I think, the MythTV add-on now connects to my MythTV backend server. From Kodi System info/PVR service, I can see the correct server name, server IP address, MythTV version (0.28.2), number of TV channels identified on the server, and number of recordings.

What do I do next? There doesn't seem to be any way to view a channel guide or list of recordings or any way to playback anything.

It seems that I am missing something simple but fundamental.

Thanks for your help.
(2017-09-02, 15:35)davcot Wrote: I am completely new to Kodi, but I have been using MythTV since January.

I successfully installed Kodi 17.4 on an Amazon TV fire stick, then apparently successfully added the MythTV add-on.

I reconfigured my MythTV backend so that, I think, the MythTV add-on now connects to my MythTV backend server. From Kodi System info/PVR service, I can see the correct server name, server IP address, MythTV version (0.28.2), number of TV channels identified on the server, and number of recordings.

What do I do next? There doesn't seem to be any way to view a channel guide or list of recordings or any way to playback anything.

It seems that I am missing something simple but fundamental.

Thanks for your help.

In kodi settings have you enabled live tv. On a keyboard "e" opens the guide, if there is a problem you'll get a pop up letting you know what the problem is
Thanks for the reply.

Live TV is enabled in Settings-MythTV PVR Client.

Unfortunately I don't have a keyboard since I am using a Fire TV stick, so finding the location of specific settings takes a while.
(2017-09-02, 17:29)davcot Wrote: Thanks for the reply.

Live TV is enabled in Settings-MythTV PVR Client.

Unfortunately I don't have a keyboard since I am using a Fire TV stick, so finding the location of specific settings takes a while.

Does the menu item for live tv/tv show? In the Mythtv.pvr settings have you changed the ip to match your backend and the password to "0000". Also I think there is a setting in myth.pvr to enable live tv you could check
I did change the IP to the backend address (and used the same port numbers as specified on the backend), but the backend has a different password, so I used that. Should I try "0000"?

Where should the menu item for live tv/tv be? The IP address and password are accessible from Settings-MythTV PVR Client, which is displayed after clicking on a "Configure" button from a MythTV screen.

The version of the MythTV add-on that I am using is 4.15.3. Is this the best or most recent version?
(2017-09-02, 19:50)davcot Wrote: I did change the IP to the backend address (and used the same port numbers as specified on the backend), but the backend has a different password, so I used that. Should I try "0000"?

Where should the menu item for live tv/tv be? The IP address and password are accessible from Settings-MythTV PVR Client, which is displayed after clicking on a "Configure" button from a MythTV screen.

The version of the MythTV add-on that I am using is 4.15.3. Is this the best or most recent version?

Yeah, that's most recent. I said password when I meant pin. The pin should be 0000 unless you changed it in Mythtv-setup. The menu item should be part of your home screen/main menu area. It should automatically add a new category
Also, can you check the backend log and see if there is a connection?
I grepped the backend log for "Frontend" and "connected", and only saw indications of connections to the Myth frontend on the backend server. That is interesting given that the Kodi system info log shows evidence of a connection. I have tried shutting down the local Myth frontend to see if that was blocking Kodi/MythTV, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

I also tried shutting down the backend to see if I could get a response from the Kodi client. The Kodi client beeped, suggesting some form of communication. After restarting the backend, a message was briefly displayed on the screen that said something about client name, again suggesting some form of communication.

The pin is not 0000, but the pin is also not 0000 in the backend configuration. It seems that this was set by the MythTV installation program when I set it up in January, but I don't remember the details. The pin is the same for both the backend and the Kodi MythTV add-on. Sorry for the confusion about pin and password.

I may not be looking in the right place, but I haven't found a menu item like you describe. From the Kodi initial screen, I see a list of options such as Movies, TV shows, Music, ... Add-ons, and MythTV is one of the choices for PVR client add-ons. Selecting MythTV displays a screen with options including Configuration, but nothing about TV or Live TV. This area is where I think I don't understand what should have been done and in what order.
(2017-09-02, 22:56)davcot Wrote: I grepped the backend log for "Frontend" and "connected", and only saw indications of connections to the Myth frontend on the backend server. That is interesting given that the Kodi system info log shows evidence of a connection. I have tried shutting down the local Myth frontend to see if that was blocking Kodi/MythTV, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

I also tried shutting down the backend to see if I could get a response from the Kodi client. The Kodi client beeped, suggesting some form of communication. After restarting the backend, a message was briefly displayed on the screen that said something about client name, again suggesting some form of communication.

The pin is not 0000, but the pin is also not 0000 in the backend configuration. It seems that this was set by the MythTV installation program when I set it up in January, but I don't remember the details. The pin is the same for both the backend and the Kodi MythTV add-on. Sorry for the confusion about pin and password.

I may not be looking in the right place, but I haven't found a menu item like you describe. From the Kodi initial screen, I see a list of options such as Movies, TV shows, Music, ... Add-ons, and MythTV is one of the choices for PVR client add-ons. Selecting MythTV displays a screen with options including Configuration, but nothing about TV or Live TV. This area is where I think I don't understand what should have been done and in what order.

The pin and the password for mythconverg are two different things, the pin should be automatically set to 0000, I believe you can check this by running Mythtv-setup and it should be listed on the first page of the general tab. The backend and kodi plugin must match on this, so if the pin is blank in Mythtv-setup (and I vaguely remember this happening to me once) you have to fill it in. The fact that kodi is making a noise when you restart the backend makes me believe that there is a connection, but it's being rejected by the backend.

Edit: looks like the pin is called the security code in Mythtv-setup, 4th line down on first page of general
Another thing to do is stop your backend then restart it using verbose, it'll show you what's happening with your front end.
Make sure also that you turned off ipv6 in mythtv-setup.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I set the pin to 0000 in mythtv-setup. ipv6 is ::1, unchanged from the default.

I restarted the backend in verbose mode. I then turned off Kodi.

The following messages in the Linux terminal running the backend caught my eye:
I monitor sock(11b9b70) 'localhost' disconnected.
I monitor sock(11675c0) 'localhost' disconnected.
I playback sock(11bfb60) 'localhost' disconnected.

I then restarted Koki, and found:
C: MainServer: MainServer:: HandleVersion - Client speaks protocol version 91 but we speak 88!
I Control sock(11274b0) disconnected
I MainServer: MainServer:: ANN Monitor
I MainServer: adding:: localhost(11dc7d0) as client (events: 0)
I MainServer: adding:: localhost(116d230) as client (events: 0)
I MainServer: adding:: localhost(11d7680) as client (events: 1)

Other observations:

I found a way to connect to my Plex server (running on the same machine as MythTV) via UPnP, and movies played back perfectly with no networking issues. I was concerned that there was a general networking problem between Kodi and my server, but this is apparently not so.

On restarting the backend, Kodi displayed a message similar to "Connection to server established"
Turn OFF ipv6 in mythtv setup. ie blank it out.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
A couple of things I notice from your logs, when you disconnect kodi the log says that localhost is disconnected but I was under the impression that this was an external device. I'm not sure if this would relate to IPv6 as nickr has said or if it's something to do with bind-addresses in /etc/mysql/config.xml (I think that's the path but might be wrong, I'm not in front my computer right now).

The other error seems to be saying that the database on your backend is a newer version than the frontends is expecting, i.e. Version 0.29 but the backend can only use 0.28. It seems as though you installed everything correctly though so I'd chase down the first issue and that might actually take care of the second.

One last thing you could try is to use the addon keymap editor to assign a button on your remote to open the pvr guide and see what pops up
I made the changes suggested above, and had some problems.

First, I encountered the diagnostic "couldn't read first 2048 bytes".
Then, I had a message to the effect that the device (tuner) is busy when trying to watch live TV using the frontend on the server.

I somehow fixed these after playing around a bit (including unplugging and reinserting the USB tuner).

After this, I had some limited success. I then found that I could configure LiveTV in Kodi/MythTV, and watch Live TV.

If I watched a TV channel throught the frontend on the server, I was able to view the same channel on Kodi, and pause, stop, rewind, fast forward. While watching LiveTV in Koki, if I changed the TV channel through the server frontend, the first show continued to be displayed, but if, in Kodi, I selected the new show playing on the second channel , the new show would play but I wouldn't be able to go back to the first show without changing the channel on the frontend on the server.

In other words, I can view Live TV on Kodi, but I can't select a channel on Kodi, only using the frontend on the server. This behavior seems consistent with the identification of the localhost in the log.

I also still have no access to the PVR guide. Could you explain where to find and how to use the addon keymap editor. The remote is a simple remote for the Fire TV stick.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MythTV add-on installed but how to use?0