VC1 not being decoded on GPU
Hello Kodi users, I hope someone can help,

I am running Kodi 17.4 on a laptop with an i5 2410m with Intel HD3000 GPU (Sandy Bridge), OS is Windows 7. All drivers are up to date.
DVXA2 decoding is turned on. HD content in h264 is handled by the GPU, pressing O during playback confirms it, as does the quietness of the fan.
VC1 content is decoded by the CPU. It can handle it, but the works hard and the fan becomes intrusive. The content is not interlaced.
Fiddled with lots of setting but it won't use the GPU for VC1. Other media player on the laptop do i.e. TMT3.

I have a copy of Lubuntu on a usb. Booted this and installed Kodi there. On the same hardware Kodi used the GPU for VC1. Fan was quiet, cpu load minimal.
Currently it is more useful to run Windows on this laptop than move to purely linux world, so I would keep my current setup.
So my question is, why is the GPU not being used under Kodi Windows for VC1? Is there any way I can get it to work?

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives this some time.
You will need to provide a debug log. The instructions are in my signature. Use the Basic method. Once you have enabled debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging, restart Kodi then replicate the problem. In your case, try to play the movie. Once done upload to pastebin and link back here.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hello Karellen

Here is the information you requested

https://pastebin.com/QCyuQux3

Thank you
I cannot find the relevant information in this logfile - why did you cut the preamble?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello fritsch,

Sorry if that wasn't quite right. I've noticed that last time Component Specific Logging was enabled. Have done it again with it disabled, the result is lot more text. Hope that gives you what you need.

https://pastebin.com/wKBSzJmw
OOOPS! Sorry cut and pasted the wrong one to pastebin. Ignore my above post this is link you need...

https://pastebin.com/RrD7VwN2
Sadly not supported on your GPU:

Quote:20:26:41.320 T:5244 ERROR: DXVA::CProcessorHD::IsFormatSupported: Unsupported format 104 for 1.
20:26:41.320 T:5244 ERROR: DXVA::CProcessorHD::IsFormatSupported: Unsupported format 105 for 1.

What does the mediainfo of that file say? Does it work on linux with that GPU?

Quote:20:26:41.744 T:4428 DEBUG: DXVA - supports 'Intel VC-1 VLD'

at least there is some support but most likely not for the profile level that mediainfo will reveal.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you for looking.

Of this file mediainfo states

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : VC-1
Format profile : Advanced@L3
Codec ID : 234
Duration : 1 min 10 s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Language : English

All VC-1 files I have tried perform the same.

Running Kodi on the same machine in Ubuntu, or openELEC does decode on the GPU. This is what prompted me to seek help in the hope of saving my windows install.

Do you think a different profile level might behave differently?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VC1 not being decoded on GPU0