Maintenance tool for old release
(2017-09-03, 22:53)twilight0 Wrote:
(2017-09-03, 22:13)Lunatixz Wrote: ... thinking .... pondering .... So you want to MANIPULATE a file system that is already self maintained in order to URGENTLY free up space? Why can't a user simply adjust the appropriate parameters to accomplish the same thing?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.x...foldersize

...afraid of 3rd party addons... Yeah damn right I am! If it wasn't vetted by team Kodi or myself personally.. I don't touch it!

You can think however you please about 3rd party addons, vetted or not. Most users don't know code and are therefore not able to "vet", its just a matter of simple trust to their favourite developer. It is still FOSS and anyone can read the code and warn others, like what happened with a very popular addon back in February.

And for fork's sake its very difficult to manipulate advancedsettings.xml unless you have, you guessed it... yet another 3rd party addon. Because yet again for things like this Kodi doesn't provide a native tool.

Well that's the exact issue at hand, Common users need to put their trust into Kodi and their forum developers.... not off site 3rd party developers that may be trusted at some point but go unchecked, so they could push malware... as in your February reference.

I wouldn't have a objection to a maintenance tool that actually works within normal Kodi parameters... by editing the advancedsetting.xml... FYI I think the advancedsetting.xml is considered "hacks" so you won't find a editing tool for it in the official repo.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2017-09-03, 22:53)twilight0 Wrote: IWouldn't it be great if you dealed new users with less hostility? How about asking for something and getting ignored. I think it happens often.

What about "Team-Kodi" is a group of volunteers don't you understand? No one is under any obligation to acknowledge when you ask for something nor are they required to implement any requests.

Kodi is also open-source, so if you want something badly enough, learn code and implement it yourself. If you don't want to learn to code, then learn to live with what you get.

Quote:This wiki page doesn't explain anywhere about package cache. No mention was made about "banned addons". *Sigh*

That has already been explained and whether banned add-ons where mentioned or not, it is usually the reason that people think they need a "maintenance tool".
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-09-03, 23:05)Lunatixz Wrote: Well that's the exact issue at hand, Common users need to put their trust into Kodi and their forum developers.... not off site 3rd party developers that may be trusted at some point but go unchecked, so they could push malware... as in your February reference.

I wouldn't have a objection to a maintenance tool that actually works within normal Kodi parameters... by editing the advancedsetting.xml... FYI I think the advancedsetting.xml is considered "hacks" so you won't find a editing tool for it in the official repo.

They way users trust Team Kodi and devs that manage to pass your firewall into official repo, the same way they can trust devs like myself. I forked lambda's greek addons which were once inside org repo. I am willing to make a PR to put them back inside but you see... a dev must be REALLY patient for them to be accepted. And that PR process of yours making squashing of commits mandatory? Sigh once again. I cannot squash the commit with info.txt. I can't even get them back to Jarvis like they used to be, just because of some absurd rule for accepting new addons only for the latest Kodi version. And that's probably one of the reasons for 3rd party repositories. I might even say its your fault for their existence.

(2017-09-03, 23:25)Tinwarble Wrote: What about "Team-Kodi" is a group of volunteers don't you understand? No one is under any obligation to acknowledge when you ask for something nor are they required to implement any requests.

Kodi is also open-source, so if you want something badly enough, learn code and implement it yourself. If you don't want to learn to code, then learn to live with what you get.

Tell you what... I love you for making this great piece of software called Kodi. But in the last few years your stance about a few things, including those already mentioned and "infringing addons" is overwhelming.
Sure no obligation for anything, lets not cater any user.
(2017-09-03, 23:54)twilight0 Wrote:
(2017-09-03, 23:05)Lunatixz Wrote: Well that's the exact issue at hand, Common users need to put their trust into Kodi and their forum developers.... not off site 3rd party developers that may be trusted at some point but go unchecked, so they could push malware... as in your February reference.

They way users trust Team Kodi and devs that manage to pass your firewall into official repo, the same way they can trust devs like myself. I forked lambda's greek addons which were once inside org repo. I am willing to make a PR to put them back inside but you see... a dev must be REALLY patient for them to be accepted. And that PR process of yours making squashing of commits mandatory? Sigh once again. I cannot squash the commit with info.txt. I can't even get them back to Jarvis like they used to be, just because of some absurd rule for accepting new addons only for the latest Kodi version. And that's probably one of the reasons for 3rd party repositories. I might even say its your fault for their existence.

You are welcome to make any PR you want, if the code and source are deemed acceptable it should be accepted.

As for github submission rules, There is a process... and it does require squashing commits history (so what?). If you need help on how to, then ask. Otherwise except its the rules for submission and move on. Same with limited backward compatibility. Why would you JUST NOW push code for Kodi 16, when Kodi 18 is about to be released?

Anyway... I'm tapping out of this thread.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2017-09-04, 00:33)Lunatixz Wrote: Why would you JUST NOW push code for Kodi 16, when Kodi 18 is about to be released?

Kodi 18 hasn't even an Alpha release yet, only "nightlies". IMHO Kodi 16 has proven its maturity and stability, no wonder it has been forked so many times. Its also a lot more lightweight. These are a few reasons why I want to support Jarvis on my addons.

As for PR submission help, I am considering posting here on forums for assistance, hopefully not getting ignored.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Maintenance tool for old release0