v17 mkv video with AC3+ (DDPlus)
hello,

i'm running kodi 17.4 with windows 10.
all files are playing great, including with ac3 dd5.1 audio under kodi.

however, new mkv are mute if encoded with E-AC3 when played with kodi.
no issue if played with VLC. so i'm guessing a setting is wrong.

anybody to direct me ? thx in advance.
What software are you using to encode the files?
Same issue here.( My dd+ mkvs contain the dd+ streams from my HDDVD rips, no re-encodes)
You need to provide a Debug log (wiki).
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hmm, trying to but it's too large for pastebin (>512KB) and xbmclogs gives me a 404 error.

Will try and trim the log to fit in pastebin
Try paste.ubuntu.com . It has a larger limit than pastebin.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Okay: https://pastebin.com/je07xBu9

I deleted the ffmpeg:mjpeg lines - I think this is just me scrolling down the movie window - and some of the monitor detected modes lines that refer to modes I don't use.

If you'd like me to start my own thread, happy to do so, don't want to hijack a thread but it seems the issue is exactly the same as the OP's (could be wrong of course).

Would just add that the symptoms are that the sound is either not there or there are very short (1s or less) snippets. My receiver display flickers rapidly between 'Decoder off' and 'Dolby Digital+'

Thanks
(2017-09-20, 15:34)Yearofthegoat Wrote: Okay: https://pastebin.com/je07xBu9

I deleted the ffmpeg:mjpeg lines - I think this is just me scrolling down the movie window - and some of the monitor detected modes lines that refer to modes I don't use.

If you'd like me to start my own thread, happy to do so, don't want to hijack a thread but it seems the issue is exactly the same as the OP's (could be wrong of course).

Would just add that the symptoms are that the sound is either not there or there are very short (1s or less) snippets. My receiver display flickers rapidly between 'Decoder off' and 'Dolby Digital+'

Thanks

Debug log is not fully activated:

Code:
14:08:55.640 T:4384  NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.
14:08:55.640 T:4384  NOTICE: Log level changed to "LOG_LEVEL_NORMAL"
Moanbag is in da place!
Sorry, I don't know what that means. How do I activate it (debug logging is set as 'on' in the GUI and there are 'DEBUG' entries in the log that aren't there otherwise)?

Thanks
Do you have your PC connected to the TV first? It looks like that from the log. If so, you need to first make sure that your TV can indeed passthrough Dolby Digital Plus and also enable any related audio setting on the TV.
No, the PC is connected to a Yamaha RX-A3050 av receiver which plays sound and passes video to the TV (or my projector, whichever is on at the time).

All the other sound formats are passed through fine (DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, Atmos, DTSX, DD, DD-EX, DTS-ES), just not DD+

I do have one .mkv which plays DD+ okay, and the only difference I can see is that that one has EAC3@ 640Kbps, whereas the HDDVD rips are all @1536Kbps. Maybe that one file doesn't have any of the extra bits that DD+ can carry?

It's also possible it's a problem with the encoded files (the problem ones are H264 video in .mkv), will be checking that next.
Done a little more investigation.

I have a Dolby Digital Plus speaker callout test file that plays fine. It's encoded at 640Kbps, 7.1 channels. The only difference I can see from my HDDVD mkvs is that they're 1536Kbps, but that might be due to my using MediaInfo, which seems to have trouble reporting certain codecs.

VLC doesn't play DD+ at all - a known lack of functionality - and MPC-HC displays the same behaviour as Kodi.

My goal is to be able to store my aging (and some, rotting) HDDVD discs as MKVs, complete with the best audio - sometimes DD+7.1, sometimes DD+ with a higher bitrate than AC3.

Next thing to check would be ffmpeg - if that's what Kodi uses to pass the audio through (does it?).
If you use passthrough, then kodi just send the audio to your receiver without touching it

Maybe your receiver does not support DD+ with high bitrate...
Moanbag is in da place!
That's entirely possible given what I've found out. I used TMT5 to play the HDDVD isos back and I get all the channels just fine, but oddly the bit rate shows as '--' in the receiver display, so I need some sort of snooper to give me the output bit rate. The info display on TMT5 just says Dolby Digital/Plus as appropriate.

I used eac3to to extract the audio and that lists it as 1536Kbps and naturally that's what it demuxes.

Anyway, long story short is that the issue looks like it's not a Kodi-specific issue, given that MPC-HC behaves the same way. My apologies to the OP.
Hmm gets odder. My Pioneer bluray player plays the same DD+ mkvs just fine, in bitstream mode.

There must be something common to Kodi and MPCHC that can't cope with DD+.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mkv video with AC3+ (DDPlus)0