Ethernet connection randomly lost.
Hi guys,
today I changed the settings on my rpi 3 to zero cache and also installed my codec licences.
Since then my live tv has been buffer and glitch free.
Im running Krypton 17, Libreelec 8.02

However....for some reason, my pi seems to suddenly lose internet connectivity and show the time of 15.02
This has never even once happened before with this unit.

Is there a connection between these settings and these symptoms.?
Thnx guys
Since 15:01:27 is the time at which systemd in 8.0.2 was built, and since this will be the default time whenever the device boots, this sounds like your device is not getting the current date/time from the internet. By the time the Kodi GUI appears the time will most likely be shown as 15:02:xx

So... when you boot your device is the correct date/time being shown? If you "lose internet connectivity" and the time _then_ starts appearing as 15:02, this might suggest your device is unstable and has rebooted, but when it comes up the second time it doesn't have a working internet with which to get the current date/time.

Are you overclocking? If so, disable your overlocks and see if the issue no longer occurs.

There shouldn't be a connection between installing codec licences, but I'm not really sure what you mean by "changed the settings on my rpi 3 to zero cache" - do you mean Kodi buffer cache? Again, shouldn't be an issue.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Hi,
thnx for your reply.
So whilst watching a channel the video will freeze and show the buffer circle but will be stuck at zero.
This is the period when the connection drops.
Then, when I reboot, the time shows 15.02 as it doesnt automatically reconnect.
I doubt it could be the cables as they are always safely tucked away and not moving around.
Also, if I go into network setting at this time it shows as wired connection 'ready'. but not 'online'
I then disconnect and reconnect the cable to get it back online.
Is there a command or script that can be added to advancexml to reconnect to ethernet if this happens.?
Quote:Is there a command or script that can be added to advancexml to reconnect to ethernet if this happens.?

That is a band-aid for the larger problem at hand. There are no other complaints of such behavior so, that would be indicative of a problem with your router/network causing the disconnect. You are much wiser to address that issue.
(2017-09-07, 18:27)Barabus Wrote: Then, when I reboot,

Ok... just a small detail you omitted from your original description...

This does sound like more of an issue with your network router or possibly DHCP server (possibly the same device performs both functions). Try assigning your RPi device a static IP address and see if the network connection is more reliable.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Ok thnx.
Can you tell me what the pros and cons are of having the static Ip address.?
I am currently looking to upgrade my (brightbox 2) router to an asus one.Hopefully this will improve overall performance.
Pro would be that your device has a fixed IP address also wouldn't rely on a (possibly broken) DHCP server to allocate it an address.

Con is that you might use a static address that is in the pool of DHCP addresses and cause a conflict, so choose a static IP address that is not in the DHCP pool. Also, if you are in the habit of connecting your RPi device to a different network (ie. take it to a friends) then a static IP address may not be such a great idea.

Anyway, it was only meant as a test to see if your DHCP server is part of the problem.
(2017-09-08, 21:06)Milhouse Wrote: Pro would be that your device has a fixed IP address also wouldn't rely on a (possibly broken) DHCP server to allocate it an address.

Con is that you might use a static address that is in the pool of DHCP addresses and cause a conflict, so choose a static IP address that is not in the DHCP pool. Also, if you are in the habit of connecting your RPi device to a different network (ie. take it to a friends) then a static IP address may not be such a great idea.

Anyway, it was only meant as a test to see if your DHCP server is part of the problem.
Thnx Millhouse for your very informative replies.
I have seen (varying)various tutorials on how to assign the static address.
Can you point me to the one that would work .?
thnx
https://help.my-private-network.co.uk/su...berry-pi-2-

Use DNS servers your ISP is using, or 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 for Google DNS servers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ethernet connection randomly lost.0