Solved Kodi freezes on autostart up
I just re-installed my mediacenter using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS(MATE) and installed kodi 17.4. I have a user kodi
which automatically logs into my system, and then I have it set for that user that kodi should startup
once the user is automatically logged in: Preferences --> Personal --> Startup Applications.
When I reboot my machine and kodi starts up, I see quick flicker and then the screen/menu freezes,
the menu doesn't react to the mouse or keyboard.

However when I kill all the process running kodi:
kodi 1993 0.0 0.0 4508 860 ? S 00:19 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/kodi
kodi 1995 3.0 3.0 1847232 119808 ? Sl 00:19 0:03 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi.bin

And then startup kodi via the menu then my kodi screen/menu doesn't freeze, and I can browse
through my files start up a file and watch a video file. Am I missing something?

Here's the info I think ya'll need:
- mesa
- vainfo
- dmesg
- amixer
- id
try:
sudo usermod -a -G cdrom,audio,video,plugdev,users,dialout,dip,input kodi

If it still does not work, provide a Debug Log
(2017-09-06, 08:32)wsnipex Wrote: try:
sudo usermod -a -G cdrom,audio,video,plugdev,users,dialout,dip,input kodi

If it still does not work, provide a Debug Log

Thanks that worked, I tried removing those groups again and it works without them too now.
I'll keep the kodi user in those groups since it is advised. But why is it that it works
now too without the user being in those groups, just out of curiosity
did you reboot after removing those groups?
(2017-09-06, 11:10)wsnipex Wrote: did you reboot after removing those groups?

Yes cause when removing the groups in the current session they stay active until the user logs out, or system is rebooted which has the same result.
well, tbh I don't believe that kodi works without those user groups. But good for you if it does.
I'm leaving it the way you advised it since that's how it supposed to be. Thanks for your help! Smile Topic can be marked as solved.
Thread marked solved.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi freezes on autostart up0