Best way to display kodi messages on second screen
Hi all

I have a multi monitor setup with two screens. Kodi is running on the first screen, the other screen is not used. What alternative do you guys think is the best way to show Kodi information (dialogs, player status, ...) on the second screen:

1) Service-Addon with pure Python
I've tested sample code and found ways to get the information, but no way to display the information on the second screen. The Window classes seem only to know the first screen (no setPosition() method) and not the second screen, even with negative X coordinates or coordinates beyond the first screen, e.g.
PHP Code:
xbmcgui.ControlLabel(2500, ... 
no label is shown. The same seems to be the case for PyXBMCt.
If that's correct, then a pure Python solution seems not ideal for me, because I've not found another gui framework (Tkinter, ...) on LibreELEC and to integrate an external library as separate addon or in my own addon seems out of proportion

2) Binary-Addon in C++
To be honest, I've found no tutorial or detailed explanation, so I don't know if this is possible with a binary addon. I know the term only, because I use Gentoo and had to compile a few of them

3) Service-Addon that sends the information to a C++ GUI
The only disadvantage seems to be, that I've to learn two new languages, not only one...

4) Separate C++ program with JSON-RPC calls
Seems to be not so difficult. A watcher thread and a simple GUI and voilà, but I don't know how fast and efficient the RPC calls are

I'm not a C++ or Python programmer (only Pascal, Delphi, Basic, Java, C#, JavaScript if one of them is helpful), so sorry if I overlooked something in the API.
I want to learn one or both languages and I prefer learning by doing not only by reading tutorials. Alternative 4) is my favourite, but if you think one of the other alternatives is more appropriate, I would switch to that, because I don't want to start the wrong way

Thanks in advance
zehner
Kodi is not (yet) designed for multi-monitor purpose.
Major rewrites are necessary to the display system.
Thanks for the reply

I was afraid of that, so I think i try 4) (or 3) if 4) has a bad performance)
With a little imagination and some basic java you could create a custom Kodi web interface plugin... and display it on the second display in a frameless web browser.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
nice idea, but does LibreELEC contain a browser?

... perhaps I must have a closer look on Qt WebBrowser
(2017-09-06, 17:53)zehner Wrote: nice idea, but does LibreELEC contain a browser?

... perhaps I must have a closer look on Qt WebBrowser

This is a Kodi forum, You might want to inquire in the LibreELEC forums.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to display kodi messages on second screen0