Solved SMB-share password for specific users
Hi Kodinerds

When I'm inside Kodi and want to get access to an smb-share there is the option to save username and password for this share.
I have configured multiple Kodi-accounts inside Kodi.
Now the problem for me is that this saved username/password for this smb-share will be saved for every Kodi-User, meaning that every Kodi-User is using this specific username/password for accessing this share.
What I want to reach is that my kids should have no access to some files inside this specific share.
On the other side I don't want to enter the username/password everytime I login into Kodi with my specific Kodi-account, so just not saving username/password is not an option for me.
Is there a way to insert and save a specific username/password inside Kodi for a single smb-share for a specific Kodi-user?

Thank you in advance.
Anyone? Or was my problem description not clear enough? Maybe it's a bit confusing I see.

What I want is just that every different Kodi-user can save its own Username/password for accessing a smb-share.
@Tattoofreak

Please wait at least 24 hours before bumping threads. Especially as your query is quite technical which rules out 99% of the members from helping you.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I think you should look into profiles.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-09-11, 11:10)nickr Wrote: I think you should look into profiles.

I don't think this information is very helpful as there are files called "sources.xml" and "passwords.xml", independent from "profiles.xml" afaik.
By now I am not sure if I got this right but there should be a way to use "passwords.xml" instead of including user and password directly in a smb-path in "sources.xml".
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And I am not sure yet if this gives me the possibility to set specific passwords for specific users for just one and the same smb-share.
If you use profiles (wiki) then each one can have its own sources and passwords etc. (you tell Kodi what you want shared and what you want independent when you set the profile up).

Basically if you look in the userdata (wiki) folder you'll find the sources.xml and passwords.xml files you mention, which are for the default master profile (the one you normally use, if no others are created). But you should also find a profiles folder in there, and if you create other profiles then that folder becomes populated with subfolders for each profile, and in there you'll find their individual xml files.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-09-11, 12:51)DarrenHill Wrote: which are for the default master profile (the one you normally use, if no others are created).

Aah, now this is a very important information, I guess.
So it is possible to set a smb-path inculding username/password for every user individually inside the different ".xml"-files inside the profiles folder?
If yes, everything is clear.
It should be yes. if you chose it to be so when you set up the profiles, they can each have entirely different sources.

See the wiki for more details on profiles (wiki).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-09-11, 14:16)DarrenHill Wrote: It should be yes. if you chose it to be so when you set up the profiles, they can each have entirely different sources.

See the wiki for more details on profiles (wiki).

Yes, and that's what I've already done, I've tried to set every user to have its independent sources. But everytime I chose to save the username/password for one smb-share this credentials were saved for every other user too, so once I've saved a username/password there was no need to enter a username/password anymore, not even when I switched to another kodi-user.
So maybe and hopefully I can do an entry manually inside the XML-Files as you told me.
I will see tonight when I am @ home, so thank you in advance anyway even I don't know the result yet ;-)
Well @DarrenHill, that really worked! Thank you so much for helping me saving my children from specific content that don't belong to them!!!
No probs, glad to hear it Smile

Kodi Blog Posts
Thread marked solved.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB-share password for specific users0