v17 Video Playback Flickering when switching to next title
Hi together,

there is a very strange behaviour.

Video playback start heavily flickering when the next title (Music video) starts to play.

The problem is reproducable always. The first video is always played fine, together with the second video the flickering starts.

When I stop and start again the problem is gone until the next video starts.

The issue idoes not come up when debugging is enabled. But it does not heal to enable debugging while flickering is active (kodi-send --action=ToggleDebug)

System is Linux amd64 (Debian stable) / Kodi 17.1 on Intel Celeron / Intel HD Graphics / Kernel 4.12.

The system was running without problems for a long time. Unfortunately I cannot exactly tell at which point the problem started.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks
igs.
You will need to provide a debug log. The instructions are in my signature. Use the Basic method. Once you have enabled debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging, restart Kodi then replicate the problem. In your case, try to play the music videos so you experience the stutter. Once done upload to pastebin and link back here.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hi,

log is available here:

https://pastebin.com/FxL0tWzZ

Thanks and best regards
igs
Please install a proper kodi build
Quote:22:10:10.902 T:140011518929792 NOTICE: Kodi from Debian compiled from 2:17.1+dfsg1-3 by GCC 6.3.0 for Linux x86 64-bit version 4.9.25 (264473)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-09-15, 14:41)fritsch Wrote: Please install a proper kodi build
Quote:22:10:10.902 T:140011518929792 NOTICE: Kodi from Debian compiled from 2:17.1+dfsg1-3 by GCC 6.3.0 for Linux x86 64-bit version 4.9.25 (264473)

What is wrong on Debian builds?

And what would be a proper build?
Hi everybody,

exact same problem here, but this happens with just any video playlist. After enabling the auto play next item in the player settings, the first video I play goes smoothly, while from the second on it is just unwatchable. This is very strange as it only started happening after I switched from an ubuntu server to an ubuntu desktop operating system (16.04 LTS).

Quote:badger@naboo:~$ dpkg -l | grep kodi
ii kodi 2:17.4+git20170822.1009-final-0xenial all Kodi Media Center (arch-independent data package)
ii kodi-bin 2:17.4+git20170822.1009-final-0xenial amd64 Kodi Media Center (binary data package)
badger@naboo:~$ kodi --version
17.4 Git:20170822-nogitfound Media Center Kodi
Copyright © 2005-2013 Team Kodi - http://kodi.tv

I will upload a complete debug log as soon as I reach home tonight.

Thank you in advance!
Hi,

after several weeks extensive tests here an update from my side.

I tried more than 10 different Krypton builds from 17.1 to 17.4. I upgraded, downgraded, backported all video related packages so far possible (libva, ffmpeg, vaapi driver, Linux kernel, ...). I tested several dozen different Krypton configurations. I uninstalled Lightdm and OpenBox and downstripped the system to kodi-standalone. The problem was and is absolutely reliable in every tested Krypton configuration.

The problem is not just flickering. When I press stop while flickering there is a 30 percent chance that the Kodi interface starts also flickering and there is a 50 percent chance that Kodi freezes completely. Only 'kill' or reset button helps then. Unfortunately no crash log is written in that case.

Finally when I downgraded to Jarvis the problem was immediately gone.

At this point I discovered also that the playlist handling is different in Jarvis. In Jarvis after playing several titles and pressing 'stop' the title where I started playback is highlighted. In Krypton pressing 'stop' always jumps to the first title what for me is a little annoying.

So like @couchbadger also lined out the playlist handling in Krypton has changed and there must be a heavy bug in Krypton code handling video playlists.

igs
Hi, same issue here. Is this still an unsolved problem?
I'm using openelec 8.0.4 kodi 17.3 and suffering from this problem.
Any workaround?
It seems that the bug is in all 17.x versions of Kodi. Kodi 18 I have not tested yet.

I downgraded to Kodi 16. That is the only one workaround I could find.

igs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Playback Flickering when switching to next title0