Advice on which Box to buy
Hey guys,

First off sorry if I'm posting this in he wrong place and also if you're sick of answering this question.

I've been using XBMC/Kodi for years now. First started with XBox Media Centre on an XBox and then moved to an eeeBox EB1501 where I was running XBMC through to openelec today. While the trusty eeeBox has been very good to me it's now tired and needs to go and now I find myself completely overwhelmed with the choices of boxes available.

I'm looking to spend as little as possible while being able to do the following:
  • 4K capable (Will be just running at 1080p but I want it future proofed for upgrades)
  • Steam In-Home Streaming capable
  • PVR (Won't be using initally but agian I want it future proofed)
  • Quiet
  • MAME/Console emulation
  • Discrete power on/off IR commands (would be nice)
  • Fast startup

I'm also wondering if to do Steam In-Home Streaming do I need to be runing Kodi on windows? Looks like you can't do it on Libreelec, Openelec or OSMC but is it possible on a linux distro?

Cheers and thanks in advance.
You can also start reading here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

FYI: Libreelec, Openelec or OSMC are all Linux based distros.
(2017-09-13, 15:22)Klojum Wrote: You can also start reading here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
I had a read of that but like I said I found it a bit overwhelming. I was hoping I could just shortcut the research into every box and just have someone say this box will do everything you want.

(2017-09-13, 15:22)Klojum Wrote: FYI: Libreelec, Openelec or OSMC are all Linux based distros.
Yeah I know that, I guess I mean a full linux distro.

Cheers
(2017-09-13, 15:04)Unicorn! Wrote: I'm looking to spend as little as possible while being able to do the following:
  • 4K capable (Will be just running at 1080p but I want it future proofed for upgrades)
  • Steam In-Home Streaming capable
  • PVR (Won't be using initally but agian I want it future proofed)
  • Quiet
  • MAME/Console emulation
  • Discrete power on/off IR commands (would be nice)
  • Fast startup

Sound like a powerful all rounder like the NVIDIA Shield would fit the bill. See the Shield thread for models with inbuilt IR.

Steam Link vs NVIDIA Shield TV: Which is best for PC game streaming?

For PVR usage you would have to use an external HD Homerun and a compatible NAS. Or use a DIY TvHeadend server to interface with TvHeadend for Android TV Live Channels or SPMC 16.7.1 (Kodi Jarvis).

(2017-09-13, 23:49)Unicorn! Wrote:
(2017-09-13, 15:22)Klojum Wrote: You can also start reading here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
I had a read of that but like I said I found it a bit overwhelming. I was hoping I could just shortcut the research into every box and just have someone say this box will do everything you want.

(2017-09-13, 15:22)Klojum Wrote: FYI: Libreelec, Openelec or OSMC are all Linux based distros.
Yeah I know that, I guess I mean a full linux distro.

Cheers

OSMC is a 'full' Linux distribution, it's a Debian derivative so you have apt-get and all of
the packages that come with it.

Sam
Try Amazon Fire TV Stick. It has long been a top streamer for Kodi users. With the 2017 version of the Fire TV Stick, things are even better. A faster processor makes the media streamer 30% faster than the old one, according to Amazon. There is also built-in Alexa support (although this doesn't work with Kodi), and the device is only marginally more expensive than the original.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice on which Box to buy0