2017 Sony Android TVs
doesn't read kodi bluray now
In the US, their 2016 XBR55X850D is a POS! The 2017 'E' model was only slightly better (per the negative review %)
Terrible menu, the worst I have ever seen and that is just for picture settings. I've never saw a more poorly organized mixed uip picture settings setup in my like. (I thought Sams*it was bad)),
It clips (crushes) blacks,
Reading Amazon reviews over 30% were 1 & 2 star making it someone you want to run away from.

The biggest complaints were the O/S itself and Internet applications, both being very slow due the wimpy processor(s) Sony used.
(2018-05-30, 10:24)CiNcH Wrote: Mine does a bit more...
 Now that is a understatement!
You would be banned from Amazon, since reviews like that put even the best Amazons reviews to shame! Wink
Phoney, the one and only.
@CiNcH 
Its been a year since your last in depth review and Sony has release new firmware on Android 8. Are there any things in the implementation that are moving for better, any bugs fixed? Also, what improvements can be expected with new MT5893 SOC exept raw power that is more than dubled? 
Also there is Philips 55PUS7304/12 on preorder for 800eur with Android 9. How different, better or worse, is Philips implementation expecially that is comes with Android 9 out of box?
I can tell you one thing in regards to brand new Android TV devices launching with Google Certified Android Oreo or greater in 2018 / 2019.

They must be Goggle "Treble" (click) compliant, which for Android users means from that point onwards supposedly much faster Android OS updates (click) going forward independant of the hardware the OS is running on.
Along with that Goggle has mandated Treble compliant devices must run a modern v4.x Linux Kernel to plug security holes in the older v3.x Kernels.

For Sony "Master Series" TV's (click) the immediately noticable difference is the much more powerful new ARM MediaTek Chipset that includes a modern, powerful "G" series ARM Mali GPU. Combine that with optimizations in the Oreo OS and beyond and you have a much snappier device that is Treble compliant and should get OS updates much faster and for a longer period of time into the future - In theory !

Quote:I can tell you one thing in regards to brand new Android TV devices launching with Google Certified Android Oreo or greater in 2018 / 2019.

They must be Goggle "Treble" (click) compliant, which for Android users means from that point onwards supposedly much faster Android OS updates (click) going forward independant of the hardware the OS is running on. 

AFAIK both, nVIDIA and Amlogic updated drivers and kernel to be Project Treble compliant for their fairly old chipsets (see SHIELD TV and Mi Box). Yet MediaTek is not doing the same thing for their previous generation chipsets. Only latest MT5893 (a.k.a. MT5598) received support. Older chipsets are sitting on a 3.10 kernel which used to be the baseline for Android KitKat...

Quote:Along with that Goggle has mandated Treble compliant devices must run a modern v4.x Linux Kernel to plug security holes in the older v3.x Kernels. 
Google also mandates a 3.18 for older devices which get updated to Oreo (see here), yet those MediaTek based TVs still use a 3.10 which is even true for 2018 A8F and X90F.

I don't trust Sony/MediaTek for anything. Master Series with MT5893 still has the very same bugs as the old ones. Sure, it is faster now...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2017 Sony Android TVs0