Cestmoila
I added Kodi on my Amazon Fire player, and it works well. But there is one area that has me confused. I'm in my mid 60's and lots of people I knew in life, has passed away. I'm from a small town, so there are only 2 funeral homes to choose from, and the one I chose to browse for obituaries, contract out to create Tribute's in a person's obituary, based on photo's that encompass their lives. However, the person uses FLASH, something I have dreaded since I got on pc's. You can download the Tributaries you want, if that person has one, and the downloads work fine, and are viewable on mu computer. But they are almost all are in .swf or .mp3 format, which Kodi doesn't play. I tried converting those, to mp4, but all I get is AUDIO, no VIDEO at all. Being as unknowing about FLASH as I am, I have tried several online converters, but the conversions, won't even play on my pc. So right now, I'm stuck on what to try next. Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing wrong with this on Kodi? Or is it better if I simply cast to Chromecast, and hope that works? Any ideas? Thanks. [/size]
Kodi does support mp3 audio, but from a quick peek at the wiki I couldn't see Flash Features and supported formats (wiki) in the supported formats. Kodi plays most of the stuff I've been able to throw at it and looking at the wiki, the developers have tried their best to make all-encompassing software, but sadly there will be some proprietary formats that are not included.
Quote:and are viewable on my computer
If you have a reliable program that will play these videos, then I encourage you to investigate External players (wiki) otherwise you'll have to rely on some software conversion Supplemental tools (wiki) https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116

Quote:tried several online converters, but the conversions, won't even play on my pc
You might have better luck with standalone download software that is supported by the author. There are other work-rounds but I'll leave that up to your explorations in the forum to find or others to mention.

I hope you're getting your fill of the free buffets at least.
Pretty sure swf files are not proper media files, they are just pointers to the actual media file location which should be an flv file that Kodi does play.
Quote:Pretty sure swf files are not proper media files, they are just pointers to the actual media file location which should be an flv file that Kodi does play.

If these files are actually are streams, maybe This thread could help you to add the stream to Kodi. Off course, it requires internet access.
If they are NOT streams, or if you want to have your own copy of the video stored locally, you could check whether you can open the file with VLC player. If that's the case, you might be able to convert them to MP4 with this guide: http://www.vip-video-converter.com/artic...using-vlc/

Hope this helps.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
Perhaps this helps. An Obit usually has TWO download options: Obituary Video - Audio, Tribute - .swf. I downloaded 1 of each, audio as mp3, tribute as .swf, and then tried opening each with VLC, and a few other players on my pc. VLC plays ONLY the audio, as do the other players, but VLC and the rest, shows NO VIDEO. I made an error thinking one of these showed video, but I guess it's a flash player on the Funeral Home site. I next went to settings, for the Flash downloader...
It lists under Global options, .mp4, .3gp, .flv, .mov,.avi, .wmv, .asf, .dwf, .webm. All checked but .3gp, so I unchecked them all, but .mp4. Again, this is for the FLASH DOWNLOADER, I found in the Chrome Web Store. After I made the changes, I downloaded again, but only an .mp3 was available, no .swf. So, this is what I tried on my pc. Does this help any? Thanks.
Is this an open to all website not requiring a login? If so it would be helpful if you posted the url.
If it's the Funeral Home with the Obituaries you mean, I suppose I could list their url. If it's the what I use that I got in the Chrome Web Store, that has the different listings I wrote about, that is called the FLASH VIDEO DOWNLOADER, and it's free to use. Does that help?

I realize ONLY checking .mp4, means only .mp4 format videos will be made available, not that it converts other formats, into .mp4. That is what converters are available for. That's why perhaps I am ignorant on Flash video, that trying to convert .swf format video to .mp4, gave me only audio, that Kodi could handle, but it's the video part I can't seem to get. Other suggestions may be what I need to look into, to try and make it work.
@ jjd-uk might have been asking for the 'Funeral Home' page URL to check out the video type, and status.

I suspect you're looking for support and instructions for this program FLASH VIDEO DOWNLOADER https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...pdbc?hl=en offered by fvddownloader.com ?
Mu understanding is that swf is just the flash player container that embeds the video, audio and website stuff into a single file for publishing to the website, normally the flash video file (with extension flv) that is embedded into the swf file would also be accessible via the website server, however you may have to sniff for the correct url to download the flv file directly.

So yes I wanted the 'Funeral Home' page URL from where the obituaries are being downloaded, assuming there's no login or other restrictions in accessing, as I wanted to see for myself if there's anyway to obtain the flv flash video file so negating the need for any conversion as Kodi is perfectly capable of playing flv files.
I regret it took a few days to reply back. I was tossing around the choice of putting the Funeral Home's URL, or not doing so. I'm not sure of this Forums guidelines concerning the placing of an URL that I am speaking of, thus making it PUBLIC, or if it wasn't even allowed. But last night, it came to me what I needed to do, and that was NOT listing the URL here in this forum. Regardless of this Forums guidelines on this issue, it really doesn't matter, because those guidelines are SECONDARY, behind my own personal ideas, and that is to not list the URL. I'll try and find a work around with this, and there are other web sites, that I can probably add this on, that I'm a member of. Thanks anyway..
If you are concerned about making the url public, but you still require assistance from a Team Member, and are happy for the Team Members to view the URL, then do the following...

1. Create a new post in this thread with the URL
2. Immediately Edit that post and remove the URL and add a comment you have done that, so it draws our attention to it.
3. Team Members will still be able to see the URL, but the public will not.

You don't have privileges for PM's yet.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cestmoila0