Which box?
Hi All!

I have a cringeworthy question and yes I have just joined.

This is the box I want:
Plays all commonly used video/audio formats including FLAC 16bit, 1080 Video
HDMI out to screen
Digitial Audio Out to Headphone Amp/Amp etc.
Wifi (and Ethernet) to access my data on my Qnap network drive
Can be controlled with my Iphone. I want to interface directly with files on NAS using my phone so that I can play FLAC without turning on monitor. I use Jriver at the moment to store audio files. It would be good if I could continue to use this.

Things I don't care about:
Streaming Content

I essentially want a box that allows me to access my video and audio files across my home network and that can be controlled easily with my phone.

What should I buy?

Sorry if this is not the right place for this post. But the Kodi world is bewilderingly vast and I don't know where to start with it.

Thanks
No cringeworthy questions here if you want the correct device Wink

MINIX U1 and run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on it, you can leave the U1 on 24/7 because it has a properly designed and engineered heat sink in it. I'm impressed with the heat sinks in MINIX's hardware.

U1 also has strong AC WiFi that is Dual Band with 2 Antennas.
Has all the output ports you need, SPDIF and 3.5mm Analog too.

You can control Kodi Krypton from a number of Smartphone interfaces with the TV off.
Yatse on Android is popular and there is also the official Kodi smartphone App.

Once LibreELEC Kodi is running from an external SD card or USB, you can overwrite the internal Android OS on the U1 and boot straight into Kodi every time.

Otherwise if you want Plug n Play, buy a Vero 4K. That also runs a Linux operating system called OSMC. Kodi Krypton runs on top of that.

Both quality devices.

Thanks for such a quick and informative reply. Will look into these two devices. Any idea what a fair price for the Minix U1 would be?
If you don't want to spend much money a Beelink MXIII II S905X 2gb 16gb is what I have and recommend. Definitely get rid of the Android Bloatware and run super smooth LE on it as per Wrxtasy's advice. Take a look on the LibreELEC.tv forum.
Thanks. What's the difference between the Beelink and the Minix? Why is it half the price?
Do you want class leading WiFI, a box that will not overheat, a far superior Wireless remote, Gigabit Ethernet or not ?

You have to do really careful research with cheap AMLogic Boxes that the WiFi chipset actually has Linux/LibreELEC WiFi drivers available for it. You cannot just go out and buy any old box and expect WiFi to work properly with LibreELEC.

All those cheap AML devices use tiny internal WiFi antennas too, and often poor 2.4GHz only WiFi.

Even then there is no guarantee the seller will send you the correct box. It's all a bit of a gamble. Thems the pitfalls at the budget end of the market.

OK, that makes sense.

(2017-09-22, 03:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Even then there is no guarantee the seller will send you the correct box. It's all a bit of a gamble.

Hmm, I hadn't thought this. What's the safest way to acquire the Minix?
Amazon I would think due to ease of faulty hardware returns if there was a problem.

But MINIX pretty much sell everywhere. Just make sure if looking at the U1, you get a package with the MINIX A2 lite Mini Keyboard Wireless remote.

Basically you get what you pay for. Dirt cheap usually does not equal long term reliable. As I said depends on how much you like to gamble and how willing you are to spend money to get something really decent. Something you know "Just Works"

Working out of the Box - the (UK sourced) Vero 4K is a very good option, especially if living in the UK or Europe.

OSMC Vero 4K Media Streamer Review

(2017-09-22, 05:40)wrxtasy Wrote: Amazon I would think due to ease of faulty hardware returns if there was a problem.

But MINIX pretty much sell everywhere. Just make sure if looking at the U1, you get a package with the MINIX A2 lite Mini Keyboard Wireless remote.

Basically you get what you pay for. Dirt cheap usually does not equal long term reliable. As I said depends on how much you like to gamble and how willing you are to spend money to get something really decent. Something you know "Just Works"

Working out of the Box - the Vero 4K is a very good option, especially if living in the UK or Europe.

Or buy 2 Beelink boxes Wink
(2017-09-22, 05:46)ed_davidson Wrote:
(2017-09-22, 05:40)wrxtasy Wrote: Amazon I would think due to ease of faulty hardware returns if there was a problem.

Working out of the Box - the Vero 4K is a very good option, especially if living in the UK or Europe.

Or buy 2 Beelink boxes Wink
And probably regret it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Not at all. Get rid of the Android Garbage and it is superb box. Wifi is top notch.
And have relatively poor WiFi due to the Tiny internal antenna, like I have already explained.
Have you actually opened these cheap AMLogic boxes and looked at what they use for an antenna ?

Nothing beats a proper external antenna, especially if a home WiFi router is in another room with two or three wall in between.
WiFi was one of the OP's primary requirements.

If the requirement was Ethernet only box then there are many many more choices.

(2017-09-23, 03:20)wrxtasy Wrote: And have relatively poor WiFi due to the Tiny internal antenna, like I have already explained.
Have you actually opened these cheap AMLogic boxes and looked at what they use for an antenna ?

Nothing beats a proper external antenna.
WiFi was one of the OP's primary requirements.

If the requirement was Ethernet only box then there are many many more choices.

I've done testing of my own THANKYOU and find the wifi great.
Food for thought, cell phones have NO external antenna and it picks up my WiFi signal anywhere in the house or outside.
With ed_davidson on this one. I've got a beelink mx iii ii. It's been flawless on 5Ghz for me. Of course, we're assuming that they don't change the components every now and again like some of them seem to...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which box?0