v17 Lower power graphics card suggestions for accelerated video playback?
I've recently installed Kodi 17 on a Windows 7 based HTPC I have made out of old parts. Specs wise it is fine and runs without issue, but the GTS 450 appears to be incompatible with DXVA2. I have installed the latest drivers, and when playing MPEG 2 DVD or MPEG 4 footage I get strange artifacts when using it (split second black screen, large triangular shapes that disappear / re-appear suddenly).

With DVXA2 off in the settings menu, all renders properly... I am thinking hardware wise maybe the decoder feature on this card is a little out of date, hence the anomalies.

I would like to buy a new ATI card (ideally silent / passively cooled) to use in it's place. It won't be used for gaming so 3d capabilities are moot. What would you suggest?

Thank you
Windows - Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC (click)

If you are sticking to Windows as the OS, I'd recommend the MSI GT1030 Nvidia card. You should be fine for the next few years.

Alternatively, if you only have videos to play upto 1080p, no HEVC, HDR or other goodies, a simple Raspberry Pi 3 setup will also do for the same price. And it will use much less electricity as well.
Quote:I would like to buy a new ATI card (ideally silent / passively cooled)
Ethereum mining craze has made the AMD cards insanely expensive, not a good time to shop for AMD (ATI) graphic cards imho.
Thanks guys. That card looks ideal, I will look into it. ATI were reputed as the best brand for HTPC compatibility years ago but if crypto currency has sent the prices out of balance I'll stick to nvidia.

Must say I do like the idea of a minimalist setup with a raspberry pi - I still have an old xbox running XBMC4XBOX elsewhere which remains rock solid and still produces a nice SD picture over component video. However it's really show it's age now specs wise. Would be nice to put something better in it's place... I would require an SPDIF output of some sort and ideally compatibility with an XBOX 360 wireless receiver / pad (still the best input choice IMO).

Any ideas if a Pi supports these features?
RPi hardware was dated when it was released, it has been impressively pushed to its limits.
(Excluding 1080p 3D) It really is slower and less competent for Audio and Video playback these days.

A lot of people have upgraded to the AMLogic S905(X) devices running LibreELEC Kodi, that are both faster and handle virtually anything you throw at them out of the box.

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lower power graphics card suggestions for accelerated video playback?0