2017 - Amazon 4K HDR Fire TV for $69.99
Update - August 3rd:

Firmware - Frame Rate Matching feature added (click) for ultra smooth video playback when used with Prime Video, Kodi, Plex and MrMC Apps.

From AFTV News..

Quote:Amazon today announced an all-new Fire TV model. It is the first Fire TV capable of playing 4K video at 60 frames per second, since the 2nd-generation Fire TV could only play 30 fps 4K video. This new model is also the first Fire TV to support HDR video, which combined with the higher frame rate 4K capabilities, makes its video playback superior to the 2nd generation Fire TV. For that reason, Amazon is officially calling this the 3rd-generation Fire TV

2017 Fire TV pendant Tech Specs:

- 1.5 GHz AMLogic S905Z quad-core CPU (should be good for excellent AMLcodec TV deinterlacing if done correctly)
- Dolby Atmos, 7.1 surround sound, 2ch stereo, and HDMI audio pass through up to 5.1
- 2 GB of RAM and 8 GB of internal storage.
- HDMI 2.0a
- Micro USB port used for power
- Dual Band MIMO 802.11ac WiFi
- Bluetooth 4.1 BLE
- Android 7.1 / FireOS 6.0
- Amazon Ethernet Adapter for Amazon Fire TV Devices available. (includes passthrough USB port for power ?)
- $10 extra gets you a Fire TV with an Echo Dot for Hands Free Voice Control.

Media Specifications (Amazon Fire TV, Gen 3)

Thinking about this box for demanding Kodi - you may want to think again (click) !

Amazon using an AMLogic SoC in this new FireTV would likely be the largest SoC customer AMLogic has ever had.

(2017-09-28, 05:04)wrxtasy Wrote: ...
Amazon today announced an all-new Fire TV model.
- 1.5 GHz AMLogic S905Z quad-core CPU (should be good for excellent AMLcodec TV deinterlacing if done correctly)

I hope that the deinterlacing is implemented correctly on Amazons side (hope amcodec is available), together with MrMC it would be for me finally the perfect Mediaplayer Smile

But then: again missing volume control keys on the remote, its finally time they could have chosen to use the Fire TV Edition remote and make the volume and the power button learnable...
Forget about amcodec, i'm afraid.

Will be interesting to compare with mibox, when it finally gets an official N, which shouldn't be too far now, I guess.
Would make a nice libreelec box :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yes it would with that BT remote :-)

I have an 'el cheapie AMLS905X box running AMLogic's 7.1.1 SDK and it still includes Amcodec Hardware decoding, works fine with SPMC 16.7.1 with high quality full motion TV deinterlacing.

Also when you have bug busted AML Android Firmware - you also get Kodi dynamic refresh switching PLUS resolution switching as well.
AML Android Kodi refresh switching works properly on the MINIX U9 and the WeTek Hub / Play2 currently with proper Fractional video playback support. (23.976, 29.97, 59.94fps)

In the above scenario, Android Kodi 1080p / 4K Resolution switching works, but the GUI and Video scaling is wrong due to Android Kodi needing further codebase tweaking, which was fixed for AML LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

Seems pointless to put LE into picture, here.
No ethernet + box still needs to be rooted (if ever) + plenty of el cheapo alternatives don't make it a good match
Interesting. So Amazon is also moving away from crappy MediaTek...
(2017-09-28, 10:50)Koying Wrote: Seems pointless to put LE into picture, here.
No ethernet + box still needs to be rooted (if ever) + plenty of el cheapo alternatives don't make it a good match

That may be true but the el cheapos don't have Amazon Prime video and very often you have a hard time getting tv layout versions of apps like NetFlix or ESPN. If this box does good de-interlacing and Kodi can be sideloaded then it's a great box in that you get ESPN, Netflix, Amazon, and Kodi in a single hidden box behind the tv.

Says in the OP that it could gain an ethernet port. I'd be tempted if this is proven at this price point.

Quote:- Amazon Ethernet Adapter for Amazon Fire TV Devices available. (includes passthrough USB port for power ?)
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
(2017-09-28, 22:18)cable_guy Wrote: Says in the OP that it could gain an ethernet port. I'd be tempted if this is proven at this price point.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074TC662N extra $15 or included?
Ah OK. Hence my comment "if included at this price point". Still even with 15 quid more seems not a bad deal
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
(2017-09-28, 21:47)rykr Wrote:

That may be true but the el cheapos don't have Amazon Prime video and very often you have a hard time getting tv layout versions of apps like NetFlix or ESPN. If this box does good de-interlacing and Kodi can be sideloaded then it's a great box in that you get ESPN, Netflix, Amazon, and Kodi in a single hidden box behind the tv.
I speak about libreelec here, ie replacing fireos by a pure Linux + Kodi solution.
hmm wonder if that adapter could be used with other devices other than Amazon. Might be useful to get ethernet and power on other sticks.
ethernet port... meh?

Why are people so hung up over the stupid eth0? It has a tiny amount of storage, it's not like you are going to transfer anything to it. Ya'll need better wifi, even if you are streaming 4k HEVC... if you can't send 65gb in 2 hours.. yikes!!!!
Looks promising. I hope it can be rooted as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2017 - Amazon 4K HDR Fire TV for $69.991