Android Will Kodi be compatible with Google Assistant? [SOLVED]
I really liked how Kodi was integrated into the Shield.  I could search for media inside Kodi using Google's Voice Search and play it directly.  But, now that the Nvidia Shield TV has upgraded to Google Assistant, all of those features now gone?  I asked over at Nvidia's forums and they said that's a Kodi issue, it needs to be updated to be compatible with Google Assistant.

I'm not asking for a timeframe or anything but just wondering if Kodi plans to be compatible with Google Assistant?

Thank you!
I think if you use a fork of SPMC 17.3 from FTG it will work
I recall reading this was language issue. What language do you have the shield set to?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2017-09-28, 18:49)Tinwarble Wrote: Yes, it already works, at least for v18.

Try "play Spider-man Homecomings, Kodi".

You can also do, "Pause", "Play", "skip + time"

Do we have to speak the "comma"?

Is this the correct version?  http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/

I tried installed the most recent APK on my Shield but the command still doesn't work?  Do we have to enable anything in Kodi for this to work? Does Kodi have to be "on" in the background?

Thank you!
For v18 you need a Nightly development build from http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android...8a/master/ then for Google Assistant to work with Kodi you need to enable the web server see http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Services/Control
As stated before, Kodi v18 already works with Assistant.  But as also stated here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2501967 it's still a WIP.

Also, there is no reason to start a new thread, you already have a thread about Assistant and should use that one.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Why have you created another thread? absolutely no need for that so merging with your previous one.
(2017-10-14, 19:31)bry Wrote: I recall reading this was language issue. What language do you have the shield set to?

English
I finally got this working! Installing the latest dev build of Kodi 18.x and following instructions for enabling web server DID NOT WORK.

I had to delete the mySQL database (previously built using SPMC 16.x) and build it again using Kodi 18.x and now it works?

I don't know why but I'm happy that it does!

Love the new Estuary skin too! Thanks for all the hard work guys!!
With the shield upgrade and google assistant can you still use your voice to enter in text instead of the keyboard? This was handy for some plugins that had their own search.
Yes, this is exactly my problem as well. Since the new update to Google assistant, when I search in my library the keyboard doesn't take my voice input but the assistant itself and it doesn't search in my library but in other apps.
(2017-10-21, 11:17)fgarcor Wrote: Yes, this is exactly my problem as well. Since the new update to Google assistant, when I search in my library the keyboard doesn't take my voice input but the assistant itself and it doesn't search in my library but in other apps.

Now this is a problem. I need to be able to still use voice for keyboard input within kodi iteself and sounds like the shield 6 update broke it. Guess I'll hold off for now until Kodi provides a fix(if it's even possible)

I wonder if we should mark this thread as Not Solved since the issue still exist.
(2017-10-21, 17:20)Gustovier Wrote:
(2017-10-21, 11:17)fgarcor Wrote: Yes, this is exactly my problem as well. Since the new update to Google assistant, when I search in my library the keyboard doesn't take my voice input but the assistant itself and it doesn't search in my library but in other apps.

Now this is a problem. I need to be able to still use voice for keyboard input within kodi iteself and sounds like the shield 6 update broke it. Guess I'll hold off for now until Kodi provides a fix(if it's even possible)

I wonder if we should mark this thread as Not Solved since the issue still exist.

Does anybody know if this is fixed yet?
Really sucks that the Nvidia shield has Google assistant since I have an echo dot. Seems kind of dumb for me to buy a google home or a new shield controller since I have the 2015 shield.
Sony android TV (built in google assistant)
Kodi 18.2 23 march nightly (may work with previous versions?)

Assign the up / down prg buttons to activate voice-to-text search in the virtual keyboard

1. Paste this into notepad:

<keymap><virtualkeyboard><keyboard><key id="61572">VoiceRecognizer</key><key id="61573">VoiceRecognizer</key></keyboard></virtualkeyboard></keymap>

2. Rename the file as this (must remove extension .txt):

gen.xml

3. FTP it to here:

/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/keymaps

So now voice search will work by pressing either up or down prog key whilst in the virtual keyboard in any app.

Of course, this will only work if your remote key id's are the same - My remote is SONY_TV_RC_MIC_001 (054C 0BE8)

If yours doesn't work then use kodi's keymap editor program addon to discover your key id number and replace in gen.xml file

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will Kodi be compatible with Google Assistant? [SOLVED]0