How to repair kodi install on Pi 3
I am running a Pi 3 with kodi running on openelec. Earlier this week the device froze up and I had to do a hard reset. After that point, my Harmony Ultimate remote would not work properly. I am using a Flirc to get the Harmony to work with kodi on the Pi. I tried the Flirc with Kodi on my Surface tablet and it works perfectly.

So something has gone wrong with kodi on my Pi. I had made settings backups, but I cannot find where they are. So I would like to know if there is a way to repair kodi, or something along those lines so that all my library settings, playlists, and network shares are kept in place. I don't want to have to set everything up again, and I worry that if I backup my settings that it will back up the problem that is causing my Harmony remote and Flirc to not work properly.
Having a somewhat corrupted backup is better than having no backup at all. Not everything will be lost. The microSD card may have suffered a problem (it happens sooner or later), and it's possibly in the settings or it can be in the system partition.

If you have a 2nd sdcard to test with, do a fresh install and restore the backed up settings from the original sd card.
I'm pretty sure if you do an apt-get purge kodi then apt-get install kodi (assuming you used apt-get to install it the first time) that your settings and stuff will stay put. At least on Windows and OSX uninstalling or reinstalling Kodi doesn't delete the stuff in your userdata directory.
OP will have to tell us first which OS with Kodi he is using on his RPi. When it's something like LibreELEC or OpenELEC, then apt-get will have no use at all.
(2017-10-08, 23:14)Klojum Wrote: OP will have to tell us first which OS with Kodi he is using on his RPi. When it's something like LibreELEC or OpenELEC, then apt-get will have no use at all.

First sentence of my post: openelec Smile
OPenelec = dead

Upgrade to LibreELEC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thread moved to Pi section
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-10-11, 08:54)nickr Wrote: OPenelec = dead

Upgrade to LibreELEC.

^^^This.

If you upgrade your existing install to LibreELEC I imagine that your problems will be gone.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2017-10-11, 13:57)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2017-10-11, 08:54)nickr Wrote: OPenelec = dead

Upgrade to LibreELEC.

^^^This.

If you upgrade your existing install to LibreELEC I imagine that your problems will be gone.

I'll give that a try. A quick search turned up several links explaining how to upgrade. I'll report back on how it went.
That seemed to work. You guys are good Smile
Well, it did work, but now it didn't. The remote is not navigating again., nor does the Select/OK button work.

I made a backup after I upgraded to Libreelec when it was working again. But now when I tried to restore it, it warned me that the backup was made with a previous version of kodi. I reckon there was an update in the last few days. Is my best best to rollback that update?
(2017-10-15, 00:30)Ferkner Wrote: Well, it did work, but now it didn't. The remote is not navigating again., nor does the Select/OK button work.

I made a backup after I upgraded to Libreelec when it was working again. But now when I tried to restore it, it warned me that the backup was made with a previous version of kodi. I reckon there was an update in the last few days. Is my best best to rollback that update?

Rather than going backwards I would find out why the remote stops working.  You are trying to fix the symptom and not the fault.

I have no experience of FLIRC remotes. But I have a hunch, what power supply are you using?
(2017-10-15, 10:55)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2017-10-15, 00:30)Ferkner Wrote: Well, it did work, but now it didn't. The remote is not navigating again., nor does the Select/OK button work.

Rather than going backwards I would find out why the remote stops working.  You are trying to fix the symptom and not the fault.

I have no experience of FLIRC remotes.  But I have a hunch, what power supply are you using?

I am using the same power supply for the Pi 3 that I have used from the beginning: 5V 2.5 amp. The Flirc is just a little USB dongle so I doubt it draws enough power to cause an issue. And it was working flawlessly before my Pi crashed the other week. Then it worked after I upgraded to Libreelec for a bit. Sometimes it would work for a bit, and then othertimes it wouldnn't.
(2017-10-15, 18:46)Ferkner Wrote:
(2017-10-15, 10:55)speedwell68 Wrote:

I have no experience of FLIRC remotes.  But I have a hunch, what power supply are you using?

I am using the same power supply for the Pi 3 that I have used from the beginning: 5V 2.5 amp. The Flirc is just a little USB dongle so I doubt it draws enough power to cause an issue. And it was working flawlessly before my Pi crashed the other week. Then it worked after I upgraded to Libreelec for a bit. Sometimes it would work for a bit, and then othertimes it wouldnn't.

Ok.

A few weeks ago the RPI 1B I use in my Bedroom randomly started crashing, but only when playing a 1080p video from my server.  I checked everything, could find nothing wrong, yet still the fault persisted.  So I swapped Samsung 2.4a USB PSU with an identical one on my Daughter's RPI 1B.  The fault moved, but on hers it was when the wireless keyboard was used, mine didn't have a keyboard.

Like I said, it is a hunch.
(2017-10-16, 08:15)speedwell68 Wrote:
(2017-10-15, 18:46)Ferkner Wrote:
(2017-10-15, 10:55)speedwell68 Wrote: Rather than going backwards I would find out why the remote stops working.  You are trying to fix the symptom and not the fault.

Ok.

A few weeks ago the RPI 1B I use in my Bedroom randomly started crashing, but only when playing a 1080p video from my server.  I checked everything, could find nothing wrong, yet still the fault persisted.  So I swapped Samsung 2.4a USB PSU with an identical one on my Daughter's RPI 1B.  The fault moved, but on hers it was when the wireless keyboard was used, mine didn't have a keyboard.

Like I said, it is a hunch.

I'll give it a try and swap the powersupply out. It hasn't crashed since that one time, but I'll give it a try just to make sure.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to repair kodi install on Pi 30