Raspberry Pi Zero Remote Server
I have an old PC that has two old HDD's installed, unfortunately the PC is old and noisy so I don't like using it very much.

I also have a Raspberry Pi Zero from a failed DIY project, was wondering how difficult it would be to build a remote server using the Pi and connecting 2 HDD's using a USB enclosure. I'd only use the server for archived recordings, anything more current would be on my current NAS.

I'm hoping that I can put something together at a low/no cost, so also interested in any media server software (i.e. OpenMediaVault)
(2017-10-10, 18:04)se99paj Wrote: I have an old PC that has two old HDD's installed, unfortunately the PC is old and noisy so I don't like using it very much.

I also have a Raspberry Pi Zero from a failed DIY project, was wondering how difficult it would be to build a remote server using the Pi and connecting 2 HDD's using a USB enclosure. I'd only use the server for archived recordings, anything more current would be on my current NAS.

I'm hoping that I can put something together at a low/no cost, so also interested in any media server software (i.e. OpenMediaVault)

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computin...as-1315968
First you need to add ports - USB, ethernet, wifi ...
this one might be what you need to get going on thr rest of the project.
I created mine with stuff from the raspberry pi org projects site
Derek
Thanks for the feedback - I've had a rethink about this.

I already have a Raspberry Pi (can't remember if its a 2 or 3) - I'm using OSMC to provide Kodi and TVHeadend, the recordings are being stored in a NAS (I've also just started streaming games from my PC to the Pi).
I also have the Raspberry Pi Zero spare at the moment and two internal HDD's with some movies on.

Would it make more sense to take my Raspberry Pi 2/3 and install OpenMediaVault and TVHeadend, connecting the two HDD's over USB - Not sure on the approach either install Raspbian with OMV and TVH on top, or use the OMV image and install TVH on top. The HDD's would mainly be for archived content.

I can then reuse the Raspberry Pi Zero as just a Kodi frontend, OSMC seems to support RPi Zero's. Not sure what the performance would be like but I've seen positive comments at the moment.

What do you think?

Longer term I could replace the Zero with a larger Pi but it would probably do for me in the short term.
I've done exactly that (except just one HDD in my case) and it works fine. Using an OMV image with TVH installed into it (although I had to play with the partition sizes recently as the OMV partition ran out of space).

In my case the Pi3 OMV is used for SMB and Plex, and the TVH takes a feed from my HDHomeRun Connect and is then used by a second Pi3 which is my lounge media player (LE with the TVH PVR add-on).

If you're using 2 HDD's then you may need a powered hub to support them power-wise (unless they're self-powered), and of course you'd certainly need that on a Zero due to lack of ports.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Before I did anything to my current build I tried to install OSMC on the Zero, the good news is that the install went well and OSMC seemed to work pretty well. I tried to stream a game but it struggled over Wi-Fi, I then tried with a USB/Network hub that I have and Luna worked well, but my Xbox controller wouldn't work at the same time.

I'll need to rule out if its a power problem (The hub is unpowered) or if its a problem with the Pi/hub - In any case I need to find a way to get a wired network connection and USB connection in the Pi.

I'm wondering if the PiJack Ethernet Hat could be an option, then I just use the 2 USB for the controller and power.
Something like this may also be an option, although of course it's not powered for the USB ports. But if you have a powered hub that you can hang off it then it could work.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I might have another crack at this tonight before I go and buy any new bits and pieces - It appears that you can tweak the bitrate for moonlight, hopefully I can reduce this to a point where I don't have any problems over Wi-Fi but the game is still fairly good.

If that works without any problems I'll take a look at building the remote server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi Zero Remote Server0