Solved How to install OpenVPN client on FireStick with Synology OpenVPN Server
Hope this helps someone. I have used a Mac to run adb tools but the commands should be identical for other platforms.

1. Enable OpenVPN on Synology (Synology VPN server package)
  2. I mainly used default values for OpenVPN config on Synology. I disabled compression on the link for some reason.
  3. Make sure the synology user account to be used for VPN connection has privileges for OpenVPN (wasted lot of time on this). Do not use admin account. Create a new user account if needed. Please test user account by logging in and, if possible, initiating a vpn from an OpenVPN client on a PC or mac from inside the home network to the synology internal IP address. I had been using the L2TP/PPTP vpn servers on synology for the past few years so i knew this part of my setup was working. I only had to enable the OpenVPN part.
  4. Download opvn config file from Synology OpenVPN config screen (Export configuration) after applying OpenVPN config. Extract the .ovpn file from inside the exported zip file.
  5. Edit the .ovpn config file
    • Replace “YOUR_SERVER_IP” with the Public IP or Dynamic DNS name of your home internet connection/Synology. Something like “ralph.myds.me” . I used a DNS name registered with synology (Synology had dynamic DNS support).
    • Uncomment #float by removing the #
    • Change “#dhcp-option DNS DNS_IP_ADDRESS” to “dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8”
    • Uncomment “#redirect-gateway def1” by removing the #
  6. On home internet router enable Port Forwarding for UDP port 1194 to the synology IP address (or whichever port/protocol has been configured in OpenVPN config in Synology)
  7. Download “OpenVPN Connect” APK (i used version 1.1.17) from
  8. [color=#222222][size=small][font=Verdana]Enable ADB debugging mode in firestick settings (Device -> Developer Options)
  9. Download Android ADB tools from https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html -> SDK Platform Tools for mac.
  10. Unzip the platform-tools tools on mac and add to $PATH.
  11. In Mac Terminal/Shell, connect to Firestick IP address with ADB
    • MacOS-shell_prompt> adb connect 192.168.1.27
  12. Check connections (should show firestick connected)
    • MacOS-shell_prompt> adb devices -l
  13. Install the apk on the firestick (use full path for apk file and escape whitespaces with ). You will see a notification that the app is installed.
    • MacOS-shell_prompt> adb install /Users/ralph/Downloads/OpenVPN\ Connect_v1.1.17_apkpure.com.apk
  14. Create a openvpn folder on the firestick under /sdcard (folder can be any name)
    • MacOS-shell_prompt> adb shell
    • adb-firestick-shell-prompt> cd /sdcard
    • adb-firestick-shell-prompt> mkdir openvpn
    • adb-firestick-shell-prompt> exit
  15. Copy openvpn profile file (from synology) to the openvpn folder on firestick
    • MacOS-shell_prompt> adb push /Users/ralph/Downloads/VPNConfig.ovpn /sdcard/openvpn/
  16. On the firestick open the OpenVPN app. Click on the options button on the remote (☰). It might take a couple of click for the options to open.
  17. Go to “Import -> Import Profile from SD Card”. Scroll down to the openvpn folder created above in step #14. Go inside folder and select the .ovpn config file copied in Step # 15.
  18. Screen will show “Profile Imported”. Enter the username and password of the synology user from Step # 3. Select Save so that password is saved. Click connect to connect to VPN. App should show “connecting” followed by “connected”
I have not used this from outside my home but have tested it over a phone hotspot wifi connection and the external IP seems to be consistent with a VPN. I am hoping to use this to access my library internationally and from hotels that may slow down video streams over their “non-premium” wifi networks.
We don't support VPN usage here, as for almost all normal Kodi operations it's not necessary.

Thread moved to Off Topic
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to install OpenVPN client on FireStick with Synology OpenVPN Server0