Solved Kodi Crashes While Connecting to Online Data
Pastebin: kodi.log

I just installed a fresh Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit. I installed Kodi from the team-xbmc/ppa as described in the wiki. Kodi is version 17.4. Hardware is Intel NUC, Core i5-4250U, 16GB RAM.

Every time Kodi tries to download something from the internet, it crashes immediately. I first noticed this after updating my TV Shows library and navigating to the list of titles. As soon as I arrow down to select season of a TV show, Kodi crashes to desktop. Also, when I try select "install" for any add-ons, Kodi crashes to desktop.

Disabling my ethernet connection "fixes" the problem -- no crashes. But that isn't really a solution. I also reinstalled Kodi once... didn't help.

Any idea what is going on here and how to fix? I spent 45 minutes searching for this problem and came up with some old stuff from 2016 that was not applicable.

In the kodi.log I pasted, I navigate to "TV Shows", then to "Titles", select a title, then arrow up and down a few times between Season 3 and Season 4 of a show and it crashes.

Thanks in advance!
It probably is irrelevant, but we will never know as we don't know what it says. At a guess I would say it is relevant as it is the entire startup procedure that tells us what is being loaded.

Also you need to capture the problem in the log. If you don't capture it, then the log is of no use.

Try again Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
That's the best part of the log:

Quote:...skipped a bunch of irrelevant stuff...at least I think it's irrelevant...
Big Grin
My bad. After I submitted, I thought to myself "Maybe they would want to see the middle."

Anyways... I updated the log: kodi.log

I generated the above log file while performing the steps in this video clip: Google Drive Video Link

I took another video while trying to install an add-on: 2nd Video Link
Is this most likely an OS issue, considering the log just ends? Is this similar to any other issues I could search for online?
Probably the reason can be found in OS logs, /var/log/*. There are several for Mint, it does not log into /var/log/messages.
I caused another crash and checked many of the logs in /var/log/ for the correct timestamp. The only one mentioning Kodi is in the syslog file. It says:

Quote:Oct 15 12:16:10 livingroomtv kernel: [396664.416260] kodi.bin[4287]: segfault at f4c ip 00007f892940effc sp 00007f88a9610a00 error 4 in libpython2.7.so.1.0[7f89292ae000+2f2000]

Looks like a error in the Python library? This is above my level of experience to diagnose further. Can anyone provide some more guidance? Thanks!
I finally figured this out. There is a problem with python-cryptography in Linux Mint 18.2. I feel like this solution should be stickied somewhere since Mint is such a popular distro.

I was messing around in the settings and noticed Kodi's primary DNS was set to something I'm not familiar with (127.0.1.1). I researched this and found the solution which also fixed my crashes.

Link to forum post of solution.

Solution below:
Quote:wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/299484105/..._amd64.deb
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/292839640/...-1_all.deb
sudo apt install ~/python-cryptography_1.7.1-2_amd64.deb ~/python-openssl_16.2.0-1_all.deb

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Crashes While Connecting to Online Data0