4K HDR Streaming Box
Thanks... would love to have @Koying's input here on S912 and what kind of 3D decoding to expect. I haven't been keeping up with S9xx happenings as there so many variants and gotchas, but looks like we may have some gems.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Yes its pretty amazing that you can now buy a AMLogic S905X/S912 and with some simple DIY - or that is not even needed in the case of the Vero 4K - get a 4K HDR Kodi platform with auto refresh switching and auto 1080p / 4K resolution switching that will playback High Bitrate 24p HDR 4K properly with HD Audio passthrough inc. Dolby Atmos.

Plus there is no need to manually fiddle with any Kodi settings all the time, its Auto everything. Set and forget.

And that is pretty much running a near bug free Kodi Krypton where all Kodi's core features work including PVR TV viewing clients with proper, reliable high quality deinterlacing.

Even 4K HDR playback on a non HDR 4K 10bit TV looks pretty decent, with no washed out colorspace mapping.

A lot of credit for AMLogic S905X/S912 HDR support goes to the LibreELEC developers @kszaq and @JohnGalt who did the AMLogic HDR Linux Nougat Kernel porting, bug busting and AML LE Kodi Krypton HDR integration. Smile

@hdmkv have a read from this POST onwards regarding a discussion about Android AMLogic Frame Packed 3D Nougat support.

Thanks for pointing me to that discussion, but it's more about using MP4 as a container for full MVC 3D (not possible I believe as @wesk05 pointed out). It sounds like 3D handling on AMLogic remains full MVC decode, but limited to half-rez output (not full SBS or full TAB)...
wesk05 Wrote:Amlogic Nougat does have MVC decoding and frame packing output (with amcodec, not with mediacodec). It is just the the output is not correct. It can however decode MVC and output as SBS/TAB 3D.
If so, still something with a cheap box being able to do 24p, 4K HDR, full HD audio & decent 3D via Kodi.
My Family Room Theater
(2017-10-13, 03:24)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes its pretty amazing that you can now buy a AMLogic S905X/S912 and with some simple DIY - or that is not even needed in the case of the Vero 4K - get a 4K HDR Kodi platform with auto refresh switching and auto 1080p / 4K resolution switching that will playback High Bitrate 24p HDR 4K properly with HD Audio passthrough inc. Dolby Atmos.

Plus there is no need to manually fiddle with any Kodi settings all the time, its Auto everything. Set and forget.

And that is pretty much running a near bug free Kodi Krypton where all Kodi's core features work including PVR TV viewing clients with proper, reliable high quality deinterlacing.

Even 4K HDR playback on a non HDR 4K 10bit TV looks pretty decent, with no washed out colorspace mapping.

A lot of credit for AMLogic S905X/S912 HDR support goes to the LibreELEC developers @kszaq and @JohnGalt who did the AMLogic HDR Linux Nougat Kernel porting, bug busting and AML LE Kodi Krypton HDR integration. Smile

@hdmkv have a read from this POST onwards regarding a discussion about Android AMLogic Frame Packed 3D Nougat support.

I just tested kszaq build on my s905 minimx, I can't get 3D iso to play in 3D, I don't have time now but in a few hours I'll move the s912 box to my 3D tv and test..
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2017-10-13, 14:30)hdmkv Wrote: It sounds like 3D handling on AMLogic remains full MVC decode, but limited to half-rez output (not full SBS or full TAB)...
wesk05 Wrote:Amlogic Nougat does have MVC decoding and frame packing output (with amcodec, not with mediacodec). It is just the the output is not correct. It can however decode MVC and output as SBS/TAB 3D.

On Nougat, the procedure is:

* Working post process manager for 3D is needed. I remember on some older kernels this was borked; which is why Memphiz added support for SW fallback for 3D -> 2D. 

* Enable FP in amports
* Set 3D mode to ON (signalled with AV Infoframe). This is why auto 3D switching doesn't work properly under AML. 
* Set fp mode in sysfs (there's a bug here, because AMLogic thinks the VIC mode is the same; so it needs to be reset twice).
* Need proper hints detection so that Kodi sets codec to VFORMAT_H264MVC and pre-header feading works for amcodec.

(2017-10-13, 15:00)dukester Wrote:
(2017-10-13, 03:24)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes its pretty amazing that you can now buy a AMLogic S905X/S912 and with some simple DIY - or that is not even needed in the case of the Vero 4K - get a 4K HDR Kodi platform with auto refresh switching and auto 1080p / 4K resolution switching that will playback High Bitrate 24p HDR 4K properly with HD Audio passthrough inc. Dolby Atmos.

I just tested kszaq build on my s905 minimx, I can't get 3D iso to play in 3D, I don't have time now but in a few hours I'll move the s912 box to my 3D tv and test..

I believe you need a demuxer for that
(2017-10-13, 15:58)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2017-10-13, 14:30)hdmkv Wrote: It sounds like 3D handling on AMLogic remains full MVC decode, but limited to half-rez output (not full SBS or full TAB)...

* Working post process manager for 3D is needed. I remember on some older kernels this was borked; which is why Memphiz added support for SW fallback for 3D -> 2D. 

* Enable FP in amports
* Set 3D mode to ON (signalled with AV Infoframe). This is why auto 3D switching doesn't work properly under AML. 
* Set fp mode in sysfs (there's a bug here, because AMLogic thinks the VIC mode is the same; so it needs to be reset twice).
* Need proper hints detection so that Kodi sets codec to VFORMAT_H264MVC and pre-header feading works for amcodec.

(2017-10-13, 15:00)dukester Wrote:

probably i still have Kerbers kodi 16 build in the devices internal storage, 3d ISO playback works there.. i dont think i want to remux all my 3D ISOs, i rarely watch 3D anymore anyways ;-(
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2017-10-13, 16:27)dukester Wrote:
(2017-10-13, 15:58)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:

* Enable FP in amports

(2017-10-13, 15:00)dukester Wrote: I just tested kszaq build on my s905 minimx, I can't get 3D iso to play in 3D, I don't have time now but in a few hours I'll move the s912 box to my 3D tv and test..

probably i still have Kerbers kodi 16 build in the devices internal storage, 3d ISO playback works there.. i dont think i want to remux all my 3D ISOs, i rarely watch 3D anymore anyways ;-(

I am talking about changes to Kodi; not a need to change container type

Things have come a LONG way since I built my first XBMC PC 5 years ago, and then my second as I couldn't get bitstreaming to work correctly with the first. I remember probably hours of fiddling with the settings to get 24P to work smoothly. 

I ordered the Minix yesterday, is this the best guide to use for Libreelec instructions?

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/5848-8.../?pageNo=1
XBMC specs: MINIX U9-H LibreELEC 4K all day

Home Theater - Samsung 65KS8000 - Denon 3200- Ascend Acoustics speakers - Maelstrom 18in sealed sub 7cu ft - Behringer EP2500

UNraid Server – Pentium G3258 – MSI - H81M-P33 – Antec HCG-400M PS - 8Gb RAM

Bear with me as this whole box thing is a new concept to me and Ive been trying to process as many posts as I can.
Based on your postings, am I good to go with the Minix U-9H? Ive read your "Start Here" stuff as well as some of your replies in other threads. I was under the impression that the Minix U-9H cant run LE yet. Am I wrong? I got rid of my Mibox and I'm trying to replace it now. It seems like LE is the way to go. 

I appreciate any input you have. I also apologize if this is a question you've answered 1000x already.
|Kodi: Nvidia Shield 2019|Media Server: Unraid 40TB|TV Tuner: HDHR Prime|Server Apps: TVHeadend w/ Cablecard (FIOS), Plex (Kodi backend), Radarr, Sonarr
Up until about a month ago I was not recommending AMLogic S912 platforms like the U9 to run LibreELEC Kodi due to slow GPU video drivers that caused noticeable Kodi user interface picture tearing problems.  

These drivers have now been optimised by the AML LibreELEC developer @kszaq and there are now NO Kodi interface picture tearing issues.
The S912's especially ones that have Gigabit Ethernet in quality hardware with proper heat sinks and thermal management like the U9 now make really good LE Kodi platforms.

You also get a nice integrated MINIX Wireless remote Mini Keyboard for the U9 which makes for a nice snappy, responsive setup Smile

The S912 chipset is now packing in a lot of separate processor cores that generates more heat than the rest of the AMLogic family.

The U9 (and U1) with its massive internal heat sink is the coolest running AMLogic platform I have seen, it's rare I see the box hotter than 50 degrees C. This is the sort of device engineering you are paying for which results in long term stability and reliability.

The Vero 4K does not seem to run very hot either.

There is also now a pretty decently Android TV ROM for the U9 if you want to dual boot Android TV / LibreELEC.

(2017-10-22, 01:13)wrxtasy Wrote: The Vero 4K does not seem to run very hot either.
The Vero 4K is a rebranded cheap X96 box  Wink
$30 X96 + $3 RF remote + another logo = £119  Laugh
I posted this on the Minix forums:

Running LibreELEC on my new U9-H off of a USB key as the micro SD card read does not work currently.

Video wise it is perfect and it has played every 1080P and 4K file that I have tried.

The problem is with bitstreaming. Sometimes it works and sometimes all I get is loud digital noise through the speakers. If I stop and start the exact same file it works and sometimes the same digital noise. Doesn’t matter if it is 1080 or 4K. Dolby Atmos or DTS-X. I need the bitstream output to my pre/processor for the height surround channels.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

I may have to return the unit as it is a dealbreaker in my system if bitstreaming doesn’t work...
(2017-10-13, 01:35)dukester Wrote:
(2017-10-12, 23:24)hdmkv Wrote: John Wick 2 UHD disc hits 90+ Mbps I believe.

@ dukester, is this the box you have? Wonder if any/most S912 boxes would work?

yes thats the box im using, the 8gb version, im just running libreelec off SD card and its been really good so far using BT harmony remote paired up as Microsoft Kodi Box

John Wick 2 is a pretty good flick with HDR. 
Can you take a look here. I'm getting only 8-bit and no 3D.
My Family Room Theater
SSH login to LE and issue the echo command in this thread

TESTING][S905(X)] 10bit/HDR/Dithering Test Builds & Discussion

Thanks... now I have 10-bit, but 4K won't display. Let me try this.
My Family Room Theater

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR Streaming Box0