4K HDR Streaming Box
Hi there, I've been reading for hours and am really struggling to pin down what hardware I should be targeting.

It seems like the boxes to go with for local file playback (x264, x265, mkv, mp4, and the Blu-ray files) and also streaming through Kodi add-ons (movies, tv, live sports) is gonna be either a Vero 4k, Minix, or one of the 9XX sets.

My problem is triple-fold though as far as I can tell.

1) I have no experience with Linux whatsoever. I have a Windows laptop that I use adb on when I'm rooting my phone, but that's as close to command line stuff as I've ever gotten. I get the distinct feeling that properly setting up and troubleshooting the OSes besides Android may require additional tech savvy and possibly even a computer running Linux?

2) I have Amazon Prime and Netflix, both of which I'd like to be able to use on whatever box I choose. I was reading over at the Very 4k forum and it seemed to me that these apps were not available to be run on that setup. It sounds like there are certain other of the 9XX devices that can possibly run those apps, but perhaps not in top quality.

3) I have a significant other who has no tech savvy beyond a standard millennial who has grown up with computers and cell phones. I need her to be able to use this device to play local files, Netflix and Amazon without me being their to supervise.

As far as I can tell, the Android boxes are not the answer here because of numerous issues, constantly having to adjust the settings based on what you're watching, and potential slowness because of all the Android overhead.

I'm trying to learn what I need, but I'm really struggling here despite doing about 12 hours of reading over the past month. I am trying to figure out what device I need before Christmas, and right now it's not looking good.

Can anyone give me any sort of guidance? I'll trade suggestions about what to read, what device you think I should target, what skills I need to acquire, or anything else.

Thanks!!
If local video playback means streaming files off a NAS or Hard Drive connected into a home router or some other sort of file server, over a home network. Then the HDR10 & DolbyVision capable Apple TV 4K should be looked at because it is really easy to use, has Netflix and Amazon Video and can also run MrMC (Kodi Jarvis) or the well regarded, child's play - Infuse App for local video playback.

MrMC will NOT allow you to stream thru Kodi video Addons, that capability had to be removed to get the App into the tvOS (Apple) Apps store.

If local playback means plugging a hard drive into a machine for playback of files with Android Kodi Krypton or SPMC, plus Netflix and Amazon Video you will need to buy the NVIDIA Shield. You will be absolutely fine just playing back standard SDR video content. No need to fiddle with settings then if you are not viewing mixed SDR / HDR10 video.

What am I using ?

An Apple TV 4K for virtually everything including 4K Netflix, 4K Amazon Video, MrMC, Infuse, local IPTV Apps & more because I value 24p smooth video playback when using all Apps plus correct colorspace outputs by enabling Apple's frame rate and dynamic range matching options... Smile

And if I need really demanding Kodi Krypton usage, with all the Addon bells and whistles a AMLogic S905 ODROID C2 with a Wireless remote running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. Any S9xx box would do as well for DIY LibreELEC Kodi Krypton (easy-ish to do) or you could just buy a Plug n Play Vero 4K.

Note: only AMLogic S905X / S912 chipset's can do AML LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - HDR10

Ok, Now I'm considering an Apple TV 4k even though I already have an Nvidia Shield and Minix Minix U9-H.  Can MrMC do movie and tv show libraries like Kodi and can it use local nfo/posters/fanArt created by Media Companion?  Also how is it with VC-1 encoded files?  These seem to be files android has issues with.  And is 32GB enough?
Why not just run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton as a Dual Boot setup on the (S912) MINIX U9-H for hands off, mixed mode SDR / HDR10 Kodi Krypton usage ?
Because that LE setup has correct colorspace output working out of the box.

A very recent Linux/LibreELEC GPU drivers update for AML S912 devices had added extra snappiness to the Kodi user interface as well.
Works really well. Smile
You already have very capable hardware in the U9, just add LibreELEC Kodi Krypton too it.

As for the Apple TV 4K, yes MrMC can do all the normal TVDB, MovieDB, IMDB - Kodi Metadata scraping. You cannot add extra Skins over and above those already included or use ANY Python coded Kodi Addons tho. Apart from that it is solid (Kodi Jarvis based) software with extras thrown in as well like Plex, Emby, MySQL and Trak.tv clients - selectable from the Kodi user interface.

Problematic VC-1 video playback that causes issues for other platforms like VC-1 Batman Begins, surprisingly plays without issues as well. ATV 4K Picture upscaling to 4K is of high quality and 1080i TV deinterlacing (YADIF2x) is excellent.
I still find the touch sensitive Apple TV 4K remote a dexterity "challenge". It really needs a Silicon cover to bulk it up in size a bit for easier use.

I'm actually already running LE on the U9-H.  I'm just looking for the best options for playing all my content with the best quality and without having to constantly mess with the settings.   Thanks.

I have no intention of using the remote that comes with it.  The Apple TV 4k does have an IR receiver, doesn't it?
Yes it has an IR receiver, you can custom program any IR remote you want to use with it from tvOS settings really easily.

To understand because i am not very familiar with ATV4 & MrMC..
It can play all x265 hevc 10bit hdr & x264 files?
Is there an additional charge to install MrMC on Apple TV 4k?
(2017-12-17, 08:02)leonkoum Wrote: To understand because i am not very familiar with ATV4 & MrMC..
It can play all x265 hevc 10bit hdr & x264 files?
Yes for the ATV 4K, just throw content at it, handles anything I've tried 1080p Hi10P Anime included, even High Bitrate 4K video over 5GHz N Band WiFi.
You can use other media player Apps like Infuse that are even easier to setup, but less flexible compared to a Kodi fork like MrMC

(2017-12-17, 09:06)jh82 Wrote: Is there an additional charge to install MrMC on Apple TV 4k?
The unrestricted version is US$6.99

I have been sitting on the fence for years looking at all these various Apple TV's that have come out, but none of them had the Operating System & Firmware smarts to handle video properly.
This 4K model has been on the market for not even 3 months and already it is superior to any other App type media player on the market IMHO. It just works. Set and forget.
Apple have actually listened to video enthusiasts for once and gone on the bug busting hunt. Smile

Hell it even has legacy audio support for decoding Dolby Digital Plus audio you get from Apps like Netflix and Amazon Video and extracting that to DD/AC3 to support older HDMI audio receivers. Try doing that on officially licensed Android TV media players and you come up empty handed.
All that may be needed is Dolby Atmos and DTS:X passthrough audio support, but not many people have that sort of expensive AVR & speaker setup anyway.

It doesn't appear that Amazon carries ATV 4k.  Which is odd.  I thought they sold everything.  However, the local BB has the 32GB in stock.  I think I'm going to get one.
Look, until now apple TV 4K do not support atmos & DTS-X but the promise to support audio passthrough 'very soon'..
It has official support for netflix (not amazon) and it has HLG and Dolby Vision (and is takes something like 'kodi'  Nod).
So if you are NOT interesting for any kind of add-on and you are NOT playing games i don't see the reason to bye the nvidia shield (or cheap faulty chinese box..) and not this brilliant media box...
So, why not?  Devil
Amazon Prime Video arrives on Apple TV in over 100 countries

Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware

(Shield) - No 5.1 Surround with Netflix

Android - ALL Kodi17 - (TvHeadend) PVR - SW/HW Decoding issue

High Quality, reliable TV de-interlacing option (ATV 4K) ?

High quality 1080p > 4K picture upscaling

Wink

So, the only thing to do is to wait for audio passthrough..
Big Grin Nod
'Soon'!!!
Tnx @wrxtasy just waiting your experience  Wink
(2017-12-17, 18:09)leonkoum Wrote: Look, until now apple TV 4K do not support atmos & DTS-X but the promise to support audio passthrough 'very soon'..
(2017-12-17, 19:34)leonkoum Wrote: So, the only thing to do is to wait for audio passthrough..

Just something to note is they've said that Atmos is something they're looking to support, but didn't mention DTS-X. A key thing about Atmos is that it can be done over EAC3, not just TrueHD. If they do support Atmos, I would expect it to only be the EAC3 variety since all of their streaming movies from iTunes is EAC3 or AC3. Real passthrough of TrueHD+Atmos or DTS-X is stretching farther than I'd be willing to expect.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2017-12-17, 20:13)timstephens24 Wrote:
(2017-12-17, 18:09)leonkoum Wrote: Look, until now apple TV 4K do not support atmos & DTS-X but the promise to support audio passthrough 'very soon'..
(2017-12-17, 19:34)leonkoum Wrote: So, the only thing to do is to wait for audio passthrough..

Just something to note is they've said that Atmos is something they're looking to support, but didn't mention DTS-X. A key thing about Atmos is that it can be done over EAC3, not just TrueHD. If they do support Atmos, I would expect it to only be the EAC3 variety since all of their streaming movies from iTunes is EAC3 or AC3. Real passthrough of TrueHD+Atmos or DTS-X is stretching farther than I'd be willing to expect. 
so, we must wait and see....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR Streaming Box0