4K HDR Streaming Box
I’m not waiting I love the ATV4K.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2017-12-17, 03:13)wrxtasy Wrote: MrMC will NOT allow you to stream thru Kodi video Addons, that capability had to be removed to get the App into the tvOS (Apple) Apps store.

This unfortunately poses a bit of an issue, as I was planning on utilizing the add-ons somewhat heavily. (streaming live sports, tv and movies.) This rules out the ATV4k, correct?

(2017-12-17, 03:13)wrxtasy Wrote: If local playback means plugging a hard drive into a machine for playback of files with Android Kodi Krypton or SPMC, plus Netflix and Amazon Video you will need to buy the NVIDIA Shield. You will be absolutely fine just playing back standard SDR video content. No need to fiddle with settings then if you are not viewing mixed SDR / HDR10 video.

This is indeed what I meant by locally. I have a 2 TB Western Digital USB 3 powered HD that I figured I'd download content to, and then plug into whatever device I buy. Or I suppose I could get like a 128GB USB stick and use that if for some reason the HD wouldn't work...

Am I correct in believing that the Shield and the Mi Box both require fiddling with the framerates and resolutions in the settings? I know there are some audio issues with the Shield and Mi Box too, but those don't seem too pressing for someone like me who doesn't have surround sound (I will probably either just use the TV speakers, get a sound bar, or maybe get a set of two speakers...)

By the way, the reason I'm mentioning the Mi Box too is because originally that seemed like the best bet, but as I kept reading, I noticed a lot of reports about struggling with certain content.

(2017-12-17, 03:13)wrxtasy Wrote: An Apple TV 4K for virtually everything including 4K Netflix, 4K Amazon Video, MrMC, Infuse, local IPTV Apps & more because I value 24p smooth video playback when using all Apps plus correct colorspace outputs by enabling Apple's frame rate and dynamic range matching options... Smile

Sounds like this does *almost* everything I'd need, but again, I think the inability to use Kodi add-ons is probably a deal breaker as I will rely on those for live TV and live sports, and probably other content as well.

(2017-12-17, 03:13)wrxtasy Wrote: And if I need really demanding Kodi Krypton usage, with all the Addon bells and whistles a AMLogic S905 ODROID C2 with a Wireless remote running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. Any S9xx box would do as well for DIY LibreELEC Kodi Krypton (easy-ish to do) or you could just buy a Plug n Play Vero 4K.

Note: only AMLogic S905X / S912 chipset's can do AML LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - HDR10

I believe that the issue here is that these can't do Netflix and Amazon Prime video, correct?

Thank you for taking all the time to help. I appreciate it very much.
This is an informative thread. Could somebody clarify the thing about MrMC fork and addons? All addons are banned? I don't care for illegal ones, just to be clear.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2017-12-17, 23:51)ashlar Wrote: This is an informative thread. Could somebody clarify the thing about MrMC fork and addons? All addons are banned? I don't care for illegal ones, just to be clear.
 AIUI MrMC can't include Python support because Apple's App Store doesn't allow regular iOS/tvOS apps to run third party code (i.e. you can't run code within them that isn't actually distributed as part of the app).  As a result MrMC has removed the Python support, and as Video Addons are usually written in Python, this means no addons.  (Of course Apple have their Swift development playground app that breaks their own rules...)

Some addons (PVR clients) are supplied with MrMC as binary addons as part of the app - and this is fine for App Store apps and doesn't cause Apple issues.
(2017-12-18, 02:01)noggin Wrote: Some addons (PVR clients) are supplied with MrMC as binary addons as part of the app - and this is fine for App Store apps and doesn't cause Apple issues.

Yup, they also have some subtitle addons baked in, which I believe are opensubtitles.org and popnapisi.net. If the addon isn't in python you can always request it be added. They also moved MySQL support (Kodi 17 db) into the settings next to the Trakt, Plex, and Emby service.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2017-12-18, 02:01)noggin Wrote:
(2017-12-17, 23:51)ashlar Wrote: This is an informative thread. Could somebody clarify the thing about MrMC fork and addons? All addons are banned? I don't care for illegal ones, just to be clear.
 AIUI MrMC can't include Python support because Apple's App Store doesn't allow regular iOS/tvOS apps to run third party code (i.e. you can't run code within them that isn't actually distributed as part of the app).  As a result MrMC has removed the Python support, and as Video Addons are usually written in Python, this means no addons.  (Of course Apple have their Swift development playground app that breaks their own rules...)

Some addons (PVR clients) are supplied with MrMC as binary addons as part of the app - and this is fine for App Store apps and doesn't cause Apple issues. 
 Thanks for the clarification. It sorta makes sense in an "appleish" sort of way.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2017-12-18, 02:11)timstephens24 Wrote:
(2017-12-18, 02:01)noggin Wrote: Some addons (PVR clients) are supplied with MrMC as binary addons as part of the app - and this is fine for App Store apps and doesn't cause Apple issues.

Yup, they also have some subtitle addons baked in, which I believe are opensubtitles.org and popnapisi.net. If the addon isn't in python you can always request it be added. They also moved MySQL support (Kodi 17 db) into the settings next to the Trakt, Plex, and Emby service. 
They really ought to add Addic7ed, the ban on addons from their side was lifted months and months ago, as far as I understand it.
(2017-12-18, 12:12)ashlar Wrote:
(2017-12-18, 02:11)timstephens24 Wrote:

They really ought to add Addic7ed, the ban on addons from their side was lifted months and months ago, as far as I understand it. 
You really think Apple would approve an app with that add-on Huh
(2017-12-18, 12:40)noggin Wrote:
(2017-12-18, 12:12)ashlar Wrote:
(2017-12-18, 02:11)timstephens24 Wrote: Yup, they also have some subtitle addons baked in, which I believe are opensubtitles.org and popnapisi.net. If the addon isn't in python you can always request it be added. They also moved MySQL support (Kodi 17 db) into the settings next to the Trakt, Plex, and Emby service.  
Ehm... if they approved podnapisi, why wouldn't they?
(2017-12-19, 12:00)ashlar Wrote:
(2017-12-18, 12:40)noggin Wrote:
(2017-12-18, 12:12)ashlar Wrote: They really ought to add Addic7ed, the ban on addons from their side was lifted months and months ago, as far as I understand it.  
Ehm... if they approved podnapisi, why wouldn't they? 
My mistake - I thought Addic7ed was a streaming addon not a subtitle source. I suspect subtitle copyright is far less of an issue.
Hello,
i have a MINI M8S box with S905xand 2gb but only an ethernet connection.
Some UHD BluRay have a bitrate 90+ and ethernet connection is too slow.
There is a box with a good gigabit?
Don't understand if boxs with gigabit and s905/912 are USB ethernet...
Otherwhise, with an usb-gigabit adaptor this will works?
usb are 480mbps, maybe i can get ~200 or more mbit...
Thanks
(2018-03-17, 19:42)merlino Wrote: Hello,
i have a MINI M8S box with S905xand 2gb but only an ethernet connection.
Some UHD BluRay have a bitrate 90+ and ethernet connection is too slow.
There is a box with a good gigabit?
Don't understand if boxs with gigabit and s905/912 are USB ethernet...
Otherwhise, with an usb-gigabit adaptor this will works?
usb are 480mbps, maybe i can get ~200 or more mbit...
Thanks
S905 (and I think S912) SoC has native GigE, S905X has native 10/100Mbs.  

If you want improved network performance on an S905X then you can use an external USB3->GigE adaptor (even in a USB 2.0 port you should get ~300Mbs throughput, and reports are that this solves issues with high bitrate UHD content)
For Kodi, I would insist you go with NVIDIA Android Player. It is the most popular and the best streaming device for Kodi users.
(2018-07-03, 08:50)raghuvirgupta Wrote: For Kodi, I would insist you go with NVIDIA Android Player. It is the most popular and the best streaming site for Kodi users.
I'm not sure about this device, It's extremely popular but surely not the best one

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR Streaming Box0