Solved Windows 7 update killed Kodi's connection to Windows Network
I apologize if something like this has been asked.

I had Kodi running 17.4 no issues at all on a GoodBang Doo Android box then I needed a windows update and it was a big one because I had turned it off a while back from updating.

Once that update was in place I lost my connection to all my shared folders.   Tried reinstalling Kodi but no help.   Kodi can see the PC name but anything beyond that and it spins.    I'm sure its something obvious but I'm out of ideas on what that stupid update did to kill the connection.

Running Windows 7 64 bit
Hi texmaster,

Were you using SMB sharing?

Can you supply a debug log (wiki) please. When you enable debugging mode, restart Kodi then perform an Update library.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Can you connect to the shares outside Kodi (just via file explorer or something like that)?

There have been a lot of updates for SMB lately due to WannaCry and similar security nasties which may be coming into play here.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-10-13, 07:40)Karellen Wrote: Hi texmaster,

Were you using SMB sharing?

Can you supply a debug log (wiki) please. When you enable debugging mode, restart Kodi then perform an Update library.

Hi!  Yes I was using SMB sharing.

Got the log.  Sorry, never did it before and it took a bit to figure out Smile

https://paste.ubuntu.com/25732498/
(2017-10-13, 10:13)DarrenHill Wrote: Can you connect to the shares outside Kodi (just via file explorer or something like that)?

There have been a lot of updates for SMB lately due to WannaCry and similar security nasties which may be coming into play here.

I figured it was a patch for one of the wanna cry bugs yes.    Just didnt think it would block Kodi.

This is my only share so never tried to connect any other way.  What should I do to test?
See if you can connect to it from Windows File Explorer and open/access files in it directly.

It may also be worth removing and recreating it, as you may need to enter user credentials (username and password) which perhaps weren't required before.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-10-13, 16:50)DarrenHill Wrote: See if you can connect to it from Windows File Explorer and open/access files in it directly.

It may also be worth removing and recreating it, as you may need to enter user credentials (username and password) which perhaps weren't required before.

Oh yeah I can do that from the PC.   Its sitting on a RAID 5 in the computer. The settings for the share don't look like they have been changed at all.
When you set the share up in Kodi you'll need to enter username and password. I'd remove and recreate it and see if that helps.

if all else fails you can map a drive to the share in Windows and use that as a local share in Kodi.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-10-13, 17:40)DarrenHill Wrote: When you set the share up in Kodi you'll need to enter username and password. I'd remove and recreate it and see if that helps.

if all else fails you can map a drive to the share in Windows and use that as a local share in Kodi.

I guess I'm not following.  I'm going to add a file source, then browse, then SMB then workgroup, and there my PC is listed but once I click on it, nothing but spinning.
anyone?   Smile
Maybe try creating a new public share on the PC and see if that is visible.

As kodi can see the PC it sounds like the issue may be at the server end, or communication between the two of them.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-10-14, 11:57)DarrenHill Wrote: Maybe try creating a new public share on the PC and see if that is visible.

As kodi can see the PC it sounds like the issue may be at the server end, or communication between the two of them.

I finally figured it out but its ridiculous.   A complete power down of the server.

Thanks again for your help @DarrenHill 
Your welcome.

Thread marked solved.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 update killed Kodi's connection to Windows Network0