Bug Picture - 'Juddering', 'stuttering', 'stalling', 'jumping', 'freezing', 'skipping'
This topic (and 'problem') will probably draw a lot of questions related to my hardware, internet speed and type of media playing. I would just like to say that over the last few years despite changing ALL the above the problem still exist. For the record I am currently using a Minix Neo Z83-4 with Windows 10 64bit.

I am talking about picture - 'juddering', 'stuttering', 'stalling', 'jumping', 'freezing', 'skipping' or any one of a number of other terms used to describe the picture quality during films, TV progs or live streams, in other words all media does this.

The exact condition I am referring to can be seen most clearly during a long or medium distant shot/pan of a scene involving 'continuous' movement of an object, vehicle or people walking. The picture seems to 'skip' or 'freeze' for approx <1sec and occurs approx every 2 - 3 seconds. This is NOT a buffering issue. Usually no frames are dropped when looking at the feed statistics by pressing 'O'.

This situation has been noticeable on every version of Kodi going back at least 5 versions even when it was known as XBMC.

I have read all the posts detailing the 'problems' with frame rates, audio/video sync, settings adjustments, all have made very little difference. I have even tried alternative players (MX and VLC). VLC appeared slightly better but, amazingly lacks the ease and 'quality' of the standard Kodi player.

So, is this something which I will just have to 'put up with' or is there any sensible and definitive solution to what I think is a major problem for a media player.

Please don't tell me that you have never had this issue and your setup is "smooth as silk/butter" and you are "using the standard configuration so it must just be me"; as this will be of little help. Please try to offer constructive suggestions of what this can be and a way to fix it - for good.

I have great faith in all the experts and informed enthusiasts on here. If you can't fix it, nobody can.
Even experts won't be able to start fixing a problem when they don't have specific details on the videos you play. So please begin with providing us with your Debug log (wiki).

Also, I'm just guessing here: are you trying to play 10bit videos on your Minix Neo Z83-4?
I see where you're coming from. I am afraid this is a Windows issue.

I have some of these issues when running a ticker for example. If I tune into a news broadcast with a ticker beneath it it doesn't scroll smoothly. If I record it and play it back it is the same issue. I've also had an occasion where I had a white screen with a small black line over it (all as it was supposed to be) which was flickering.

When I take a recording like that and play it on my Humax or if I play that recording (while still on my Windows HTPC HDD) on the Humax or on my Philips TV it is smooth as a whistle!

I have been playing with all sorts of settings as well. Recently I've found a setting that got rid of the flickering and the ticker plays a little smoother, but it is not really a solution.

There are some other issues, but I won't bother you too much with that without having sufficient proof.

Time permitting I am creating some files (preferably I create one rather small file having all issues in one) and test that on different devices. What I think I will end up with is: a power consuming relative expensive Windows machine for hosting my tuners, storage for recordings, movie, music and pictures, DVB Logic, decryption software etc. on one hand and a cheap Android box for viewing the content on the other hand.
Many thanks for the quick reply Klojum. I will certainly post the Debug Log hopefully in the next few hours, however, I'm mystified what you will get from this in terms of - "......specific details on the videos you play". It is ALL videos, immaterial of the original source. every single video shows signs of stutter, or judder, what ever best describes it. For completeness I will have to post a selection of material in order to demonstrate what I mean.

I understand that the frame rate, codec and other coding methods used could have an impact on the quality but, surely this would not apply to every single video? The one thing that is common is that the judder is more noticeable on long pan shots. Close up, you would hardly notice it.

Also, how would I know if am about to play 10bit video?

Plantje, thanks for the reply. What do you mean by - "I am afraid this is a Windows issue". What common problem is there on the Windows platform that is noted for this effect? Also, before I changed to the Minix Neo I had an Android box. The same issue was there also.
Well, unless you have specific hardware, 10bit video will stutter like *%@ on the less powerfull machines.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picture - 'Juddering', 'stuttering', 'stalling', 'jumping', 'freezing', 'skipping'0