How to avoid rule violations
I just made my first post on another thread asking but Internet speed issues and it got closed because I mentioned a banned program add-on. First, my apologies for that. I am not trying to break any rules. I am not knowingly using any illegal add-ons. I'm new to Kodi and I am just trying to learn more about it.

My question here is how can I find out if an add-on is illegal before I get into trouble again. I had no idea the one I used was on the banned list. The only reason I installed it is because a search told me this was a tool I could use to measure my Internet speed. That is the only thing I used it for. In any case, it is gone now. I did another search and found a script that also works, but how do I know if this is also on the banned list? It is rather confusing. I have been careful to avoid any obvious pirate repositories and have only installed video add-ons from the official Kodi repository, but it is almost impossible to tell if something from a third party is okay or not. If anyone could help with this I would appreciate clarity.
Hello Rikkitic

An add-on can be banned for a number of reasons. The most common are as follows:
  1. If an add-on allows you to access content that you would normally have to pay for, then it is banned as it is pirated and copyright infringing. eg. if it is still playing at the cinemas, or only available on paid streaming sites like Netflix or Foxtel.
  2. It is suspected or known to perform actions that compromise security and/or privacy without the users consent
  3. Is so poorly written that it compromises the proper function of the Kodi software
  4. Is using code that does not abide by FOSS guidelines

If the add-on itself does not violate the above but it comes from a repository that hosts other add-on(s) that do violate the above, then the entire repository and all its add-ons are banned

Any build featuring or offering one or more of the repositories or add-ons that falls into the above reasons.

Some forks of Kodi are banned. Others are not banned, but we do not support them as they have their own support forum.

If you purchased a pre-loaded Kodi box, then you will not receive support here. You should seek assistance from the retailer that took your money. If that retailer is some dodgy salesman in a laneway, your loss.

To find abiding add-ons, or to avoid banned add-ons:
  1. There is a banned list on the wiki that can guide you. IT IS NOT a comprehensive listing. Apply common sense.
  2. If you downloaded from the Kodi repository (and there is only ONE Kodi repository) that is ok. 
  3. If there is a thread for an add-on in this forum about an add-on, then it is ok
Hope that clears things up a bit.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for the info. As a point of information, I am not using a pre-loaded box. I bought an inexpensive Android box to learn on and I have been installing downloaded Kodi versions on both Android and Windows to learn on and experiment with. I am having real problems with connection speed even though it is good on browser tests and I am trying to understand why. That and just learning how Kodi works is all I have been doing up to now. Apparently the add-on I was using for speed tests came from a banned repo. I did not know that.
Welcome. Don't beat yourself up too much about having your thread closed. We don't hold these things against you (unless you persistently break the rules after being made aware of them), you're new and finding your way around the forum. The good thing is that now it's happened you have been reminded of where to obtain the necessary information and have a better understanding about what we support and what we don't.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
@Rikkitic should be applauded for asking for further info and clarification as it will now possibly benefit other users that scratch their heads when their First posts unexpectedly end up in the trash. Wink

(2017-10-14, 08:12)Rikkitic Wrote: Thanks for the info. As a point of information, I am not using a pre-loaded box. I bought an inexpensive Android box to learn on and I have been installing downloaded Kodi versions on both Android and Windows to learn on and experiment with. 

Be sure to download Kodi either from https://kodi.tv or from the official Google Play Store. If you download Kodi from anywhere else then the installation package might have been modified to include banned repositories and/or addons.
Thanks for the responses everyone. I do only download from kodi.tv. But there are many things I don't understand and I can't find all the answers in the guides so I use Google and lots of things pop up in my searches. That is how I downloaded a couple of banned repositories. But I am learning my way around. My ultimate goal is to figure out how to make my own IPTV M3U8 links to content I have legal access to, but can only stream via my browser. For example, I would like to do this with Medici. I want to be able to use Kodi for the streaming convenience it offers, not for illegal access. But I need to understand a lot more about how it works first.
Hi Rikkitic,

Welcome back. I am not familiar with Medici. Can you explain or provide a link? I would hazard a guess at an Italian site?? (i am probably wrong)
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-10-19, 22:46)Rikkitic Wrote: Thanks for the responses everyone. I do only download from kodi.tv. But there are many things I don't understand and I can't find all the answers in the guides so I use Google and lots of things pop up in my searches. That is how I downloaded a couple of banned repositories. But I am learning my way around. My ultimate goal is to figure out how to make my own IPTV M3U8 links to content I have legal access to, but can only stream via my browser. For example, I would like to do this with Medici. I want to be able to use Kodi for the streaming convenience it offers, not for illegal access. But I need to understand a lot more about how it works first.
Why do you want to do it with Medici? notepad++ would prob be better.
Medici is such a widespread project, as for learning how to make those links use notepad++ to open legal addons.xml or what ever and see how they did it.
Thank you
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
(2017-10-19, 23:41)Karellen Wrote: Hi Rikkitic,

Welcome back. I am not familiar with Medici. Can you explain or provide a link? I would hazard a guess at an Italian site?? (i am probably wrong)

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been preoccupied with other things and have only just returned to this. Medici TV is a subscription site devoted to classical performances, such as music, opera, dance and other performing arts. The link is https://www.medici.tv/en/. I think they are in France, though I'm not certain. As far as I can tell, they only offer browser-based HTTP streaming. I would like to be able to subscribe to this site and then create my own add-on to stream it through Kodi if possible. That is what I am referring to.
(2017-10-20, 14:09)kimkl Wrote:
(2017-10-19, 22:46)Rikkitic Wrote: Thanks for the responses everyone. I do only download from kodi.tv. But there are many things I don't understand and I can't find all the answers in the guides so I use Google and lots of things pop up in my searches. That is how I downloaded a couple of banned repositories. But I am learning my way around. My ultimate goal is to figure out how to make my own IPTV M3U8 links to content I have legal access to, but can only stream via my browser. For example, I would like to do this with Medici. I want to be able to use Kodi for the streaming convenience it offers, not for illegal access. But I need to understand a lot more about how it works first.
Why do you want to do it with Medici? notepad++ would prob be better.
Medici is such a widespread project, as for learning how to make those links use notepad++ to open legal addons.xml or what ever and see how they did it.
Thank you

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure we are referring to the same Medici but inspecting and possibly modifying addons.xml would be useful in any case. I do have Notepad++ and have been using it to make my own IPTV list from a couple of different legal FTA sources.
(2017-10-14, 12:44)wrxtasy Wrote: @Rikkitic should be applauded for asking for further info and clarification as it will now possibly benefit other users that scratch their heads when their First posts unexpectedly end up in the trash. Wink

I agree thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to avoid rule violations0