NAS purchase assist
My Setup::
WD MyCloud 6TB & 1 6TB External HD.
1x old laptop plugged into modem for Kodi (using the MyCloud).
1x Chromebox plugged into an external hard drive (not network) for the same relevant content.

I basically am sick of making manual backups, so I need to move to something with a backup bay and better access.

MyCloud EX2 with 2x 8 WD Red units is what I'm looking at replacing my setup with.

I've noticed that my current MyCloud won't stream 1080p video over the Wifi (if I need to). Everything else works great.

Uses: 
Auto Backup of 2x phone content (current)
Auto Transfer of Laptop (Windows 10) content (current)
Stream video via ethernet (current)
Stream 1080p video via wifi (n/a) <--not as important
Access content remotely via app (current & not fully needed)

The question is...is there something cheaper/better/more efficient that I should be buying or doing? I've been researching a while and am still a little stuck.
The new setup appears like it will cost around $700 to complete.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Sounds like a networking issue. Take a look at powerline adapter kits.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Wifi has nothing to do with your EX2 NAS or what you can stream. Changing to another NAS is not going to fix your underlying network issue.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
It's always sooo difficult to recommend hardware solutions to people, since we don't know things like financial situation, size and conditions of your domicile and its wiring, types of files in your libraries, etc.  That being said, and not being one who is afraid to tell other people how to spend their money, here goes:

If you can't use direct hardwired ethernet to connect to your Chromebox, use powerline ethernet like bry said. I use this: Zyxel Powerline and they have worked flawlessly with 250-300 Mbs throughput (worst case), more than enough for several 1080p blu ray streams simultaneously.

As for a NAS, I use a Synology DS215j 2 bay NAS. The latest version is the DS216j, and a DS218j may come out soon. If I were you, I'd dump my 2 8Gb WD Reds in one of those. Oh, BTW, you *do* realize that having your only copies of your files on any particular NAS does not constitute having a *backup*? No matter how the drives are configured? Minimum 2 copies of each file, on 2 different devices, is needed to avoid future unhappiness.

For phone and laptop backups, it doesn't really matter about the NAS, does it? Other than capacity. That's more an issue of what backup software you want to use  (like Acronis or Macrium, etc.). They don't care about the target location.

Of course, it's your money and your situation, so it's ultimately your choice!

Go with God and my best wishes :-)

http://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_serv...r-PLA5456/
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
Awesome. I like all of that. Great tips.

The only reason I thought maybe a different NAS was something I read on a WD forum stating the MYCloud basic wasn't capable of streaming 1080p over WiFi. Who knows. It won't be a major issue soon.

The powerline adapter seems right on.
I mostly just needed a few good stable examples of what everyone else is doing for comparison.

Thanks so much for the info!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS purchase assist0