Image poster load slowly
Hi

I'm using kodi 17.4, and my movie posters take about 3 seconds to load every time I go into the movies category.
When I select Movies, most of my moves appear with a black poster with a movie camera. After a few seconds, they load. If I go to TV, they load instantly. If I come back to Movies, there is that lag again.
Anyone has any idea how to fix this?

Thanks

3-second sort with covers doesn't seem that far out of place for over a thousand movies Smile Perhaps you could enter the movies category, back out and then into it again, to check if your cache is working. Once you enter the TV Shows category, it's likely the movie cache is dumped (needing mem). You could limit the size of the thumbnails and background art to facilitate faster handling. Artwork/Cache (wiki). All of this is somewhat dependent on the speed of your system, networking? gpu/cpu and bandwidth constraints. Without a proper debug log at hand all I can suggest is the overall impediments that become cause and effect of this issue.

I suggest that with a larger collection acquired over time, that the library is somewhat fragmented, an export of the library to separate files and a local re-scrape would put you in good shape. Just a quick note, background tasks can be deleterious on the performance of the software, note my sig regarding add-ons. You may find this useful https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=272112
i have the same problem and with 5-6 seconds to load
@acc.

Please provide a debug log which captures an Update Library.

I note your quick succession of posts in 10 minutes... all consisting of 3-4 words. Please respond to this post or I will assume you to be a spam bot and ban your account
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I have a roughly 5 second delay before the musicvideos thumbs are displayed. That's on all Kodi devices.
One one Kodi pc, all video thumbs (movies and tvshows) are displayed instantly.
On another Kodi pc, not all thumbs from movies are displayed right away, which could still be a caching problem although I'm sure some of the thumbs have been cached before. Als the file server for those videos is offline...

So it's still hard to pinpoint where the real bugger starts.
Unless I'm mistaken, the cached images of artwork 'double check' themselves against what resides next to the titles in their folders. This means if you only have one hard drive and it's already spun-up, the images are instantaneous. If you have more than one drive, Kodi waits for that drive to spin-up until it can confirm it's cache of artwork that is on that drive before it will display any artwork on that drive. If you have yet another drive (or more) Kodi will wait for these drives as well. Drives only spin-up in succession, not all at once. So, if you have many multiple drives, it can take quite a while for all of them to spin-up. Also, Kodi only shows a limited amount of titles depending on your view. Once you start scrolling your library, Kodi will start displaying titles of a drive(s) that has not spun-up yet and you will have to wait. Lastly, just because you spun-up drives and finally see artwork doesn't mean it will remain. My drives are set to spin-down after 10 minutes. If I scroll my library for longer than 10 minutes or watch a title and return to the library for instance, the drive(s) have spun-down by the time I re-scroll or refocus them and I have to wait all over again. I've brought this up before with debug logs and never received a reply. I was told not to ever let data drives spin-down and just let them roll forever whirring away needlessly. I was also told spinning drives up and down is hard on the drives. I disagree. This is not an answer. Imo, doing away with cache rechecks in endless loops are, otherwise what's the purpose of a cache.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
In my case, the musicvideos (only 7 videos!) are on the same file server as the tvshows (the same pc does the Kodi database server), and it is running 24/7. The TV episode thumbs are shown instantly, the musicvideo thumbs first 'wait' 5 seconds before showing up. And those thumbs have been cached a long time ago. So that is still weird to me.
(2017-10-17, 02:18)PatK Wrote: 3-second sort with covers doesn't seem that far out of place for over a thousand movies Smile Perhaps you could enter the movies category, back out and then into it again, to check if your cache is working. Once you enter the TV Shows category, it's likely the movie cache is dumped (needing mem). You could limit the size of the thumbnails and background art to facilitate faster handling. Artwork/Cache (wiki). All of this is somewhat dependent on the speed of your system, networking? gpu/cpu and bandwidth constraints. Without a proper debug log at hand all I can suggest is the overall impediments that become cause and effect of this issue.

I suggest that with a larger collection acquired over time, that the library is somewhat fragmented, an export of the library to separate files and a local re-scrape would put you in good shape. Just a quick note, background tasks can be deleterious on the performance of the software, note my sig regarding add-ons. You may find this useful https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=272112

Hi

I think it could be the large collection. You say I could limit the size of the thumbnails and background art to facilitate faster handling. How could I do that?

thnaks
Hi @perezbalen

Have a read of section 3 in the following link, particularly the section on Cache.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork#Managing_Artwork
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Image poster load slowly0