Req Auto sync output resolution with input resolution
I have found a similar thread but it seems the OP abandoned his request. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=301461

I am using KODI with a 4K TV and most often the content I watch is in 1080p. So I have the output resolution set to 1080p. I use TVs upscaling and smooth motion features etc. TV has to use lower processing power on 1080p compared to 4K and most features work much better in 1080p compared to 4K. Also most TVs have more advanced upscalers.

Also for some reason this specific TV does not want to run in 3D when resolution is 4K and refresh is 23.98fps, it needs refresh at or over 30fps to start 3D mode. If I have output at 4K and have match FPS when playing a 1080p 23.98fps 3D content, then KODI switches to 23.98fps and I can't use 3D in TV. If output was 1080p then would be no problem.

Anyway, I would like to have the output to be 4K, only when playing 4K source. Perhaps it could be an option like 'Adjust display resolution' and there could be options like 'Match resolution', 'Only if higher resolution source'.
Are there any 4k 3D tv's ?

I was not aware of any. Not in my part of the world anyway.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-10-16, 23:02)Karellen Wrote: Are there any 4k 3D tv's ?

I was not aware of any. Not in my part of the world anyway.

There are several, but they only do 3D at 1080p. The HDMI standard doesn't have any 4K 3D modes.
E.g.:
http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/T...50&start=1
https://www.sony.com/electronics/televis...ifications
http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/uhd-hu8500...U8500TXXU/
Well, now because of HDR many manufacturers don't have 3D in their 4K TVs but 3D will come back soon anyway. When manufacturers realize 4K HDR sales are going down, they will add the 3D feature again to boost sales.

I have a Philips 58PUS6809/12 which is 4K and has 3D. It is rather an old model (~3 years old) but I got it for less than 90euro so I won't complain.

BTW it can do 3D with 4K 30FPS input. But the source is 1080p (I don't think there is any 4K 3D stuff available) so it doesn't make sense to use this mode for 3D. Also because you lose smooth motion and resolution enhancement features of the TV when you are in 4K 30FPS. I don't know why, but you can get smooth motion work with 4K 23.98FPS input but then TV doesnt support 3D. Those modes are for some reason mutually exclusive in 4K. Maybe it doesn't have enough processing power, it is an old TV after all.

So it is better to use TV with 1080P input setting unless you are running 4K content. This is why it would be nice if one could set 1080P in kodi but then it would match output only when higher resolution source is used.

I think this will be a very nice feature because with 4K TVs, you may want to set your input to match the source more. If you own a 4K TV, you may be running 1080p, 720p, 480p contents on it and you may want to take advantage of the upscalers of the TV or smooth motion etc. You will get better performance if TV does not have to process unnecessary pixels. If I have 480p source and my TV input is 4K, it would need to process at least 20 times more pixels for no reason, that is like ~7million unnecessary pixels processed for smooth motion etc....
I'm not sure if this is platform specific, but Kodi already does this on both my current (OSMC Vero4k) and previous (LibreELEC / intel NUC) HTPCConfused. I run the GUI at 1080p 60Hz, and it automatically switches to UHD resolution for UHD content, as long as "adjust refresh rate" is enabled.
(2017-10-17, 15:55)cyrano Wrote: I'm not sure if this is platform specific, but Kodi already does this on both my current (OSMC Vero4k) and previous (LibreELEC / intel NUC) HTPCConfused. I run the GUI at 1080p 60Hz, and it automatically switches to UHD resolution for UHD content, as long as "adjust refresh rate" is enabled.

It is funny, I didn't realize that. I thought it only changed refresh rate. I was wondering how come 4K content looks same on 1080p and 4K settings Smile

I now checked from the TV info screen and it behaves same on ubuntu, it shows UHD when I play 4K content. It seems it only increases resolution, which is perfectly fine. If I set default resolution 4K, it wont downgrade to 1080p for 1080p content.

Wow, so it works perfectly actually. Somebody should update the wiki I guess.
Feel free to create an account ad update the wiki
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
You just need to confirm your account via the "confirm account" email then you should be up and running with your wiki account.
My Signature
I have a 4k (3840x2160p aka UHD) display with 3D also. I set the windows desktop (GPU resolution setting) to 4k @60Hz RGB Full and NOT 1080p. Dumbing it down to a lesser resolution than the native display resolution of 4k is a step backwards and looks exactly that. Pictures, video, text, GUI's, etc. all look much better in 4k. The same is true for Kodi. I set it at my display native resolution of 4k also. The GUI looks tremendously better and not just artwork. When playing a 1080p video it is allowed to upscale because all my components have the feature and look fantastic. Dare I say 'close' to 2160p. Yes, I have 1080p and 2160p of the same title. I can barely tell a difference but don't get me wrong, there is especially when you start fine tuning sources with madVR (highly recommended). 1080p video upscale is rendered at 2160p. The same 1080p video played using 1080p settings is a step backward and renders at it's native resolution of 1080p. In fact, it looks like junk compared to watching it upscale imo. 4k video looks amazing but not by leaps and bounds you might think compared to it's 1080p counterpart allowed to upscale. UHD HDR is in a class of it's own. I have no 1080p HDR title that I could upscale and compare against its common 4k HDR counterpart. Highest resolution 3D remains 1080p to each eye using active. (Passive still blanks out every other vertical line of resolution lowering the resolution to half that of active and many claim due to increased pixels in modern panels and sitting at a farther viewing distance you shouldn't notice fwiw.) Frame packed 3D requires an HDMI 2.0 port or better when using a 4k display. Most modern GPU's have at least one of these. Many 'devices' do not. So with Windows and Kodi set to 2160p resolution, 3D titles still render at 1080p and resolution switching is automatic as is 3D mode. Common 23.976 frame rates will switch automatically when 'match refresh rate' is set to on. When finished, refresh rate will return to 60Hz in Kodi and Windows. If you do not match refresh rates, motion is flawed big time. A slow panning scene will reveal the flaw. I use an external player because Kodi does not handle 3D frame packed or HDR especially with 4k displays. This also allows me fine tuning Kodi does not. This is not to say the internal Kodi player is flawed. It is very nice for what it is and I prefer it for some titles.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
@Karellen thanks I added a line and reference link to this thread.

@brazen1 You are right about the KODI interface resolution. It looks definitely better at 4K when I am 50cm away from the display but then when I sit 5m away from the screen, the difference is not noticeable at all. Also, you are wrong about how rendering/upscaling is done.

You seem to think rendering video to 4K will give better result than rendering it at 1080p. This completely depends on upscaling algorithm. First of all, video is not rendered like vector graphics. You can't just render 1080p in 4K resolution. You need to render it in 1080p then upscale into 4K. So the question is if KODI upscales better or your TV.

If you watch 1080p video with 1080p output on your TV. Then your TV will be doing upscaling (instead of KODI doing it). TV manufacturers put very good hardware upscalers with good custom algorithms in a TV because a 4K TV have to do upscaling nearly 100% the time, for example for normal, SD/HD broadcasts. Basically, it has to do upscaling all the time when you watch anything but 4K content. TV manufacturers are surely keen on trying to get the best picture quality. So TV's upscaling easily beats KODI's upscaling. Perhaps MadVR does better job than KODI. But it will be neck to neck when compared to TV's upscaling on expense of huge processing power.

Moreover I can't use MadVR due to a number of reasons. I use a small Linux box with AMD APU. So:
1- MadVR does not support Linux. I now have all my KODI and other updates automated and working great.
2- MadVR require a lot of processing power (which is offloaded to TV right now). You need GTX980 or something better to beat TV's upscaling. That card itself costs same or double (if you want silent) of my htpc!  (https://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR_Chroma_U...eries_GPUs)
3- I checked some comparisons and the difference is not substantial enough. Here is an example, at least I cant see the difference:
https://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR_Chroma_U...ge_Quality
Here are images from no MadVR and madvr NNEDI3 256 Neuron Chroma upscaling
https://wiki.mikejung.biz/images/a/a1/00..._287_2.png
https://wiki.mikejung.biz/images/9/96/01...18_287.png
Not to mention even gtx980 can't do 256 neurons without dropped frames as I understand from the madvr wiki)
4- There surely is going on a debate about if TVs do better upscaling or MadVR. I found many people asking questions about this online. But I coulndn't find any certain proof on one is better than another consistently. Without a clear winner, I would imagine they are creating very close results. So this brings me the question. I already paid for TV which has the same thing that I need. Why I would want to buy a high end GPU and deal with extra configuration to run custom KODI/MadVR the do nearly same thing. The effort seems unjustifiable.

In addition, very specific to my case. The TV I have does 4K 30FPS maximum and in this setting, it loses smooth motion "soap opera effect" which you can't even get using MadVR. Also in 4K 23.98FPS this model does NOT do 3D!

So, in many ways it is better for me to watch 1080p 23.98FPS 3D content with 1080p 23.98FPS output and let TV do the upscaling and the "soap opera effect".
In comparison, if I output 4K. I have to run output at 4K 30FPS for 23.98FPS content and have all sorts of jittering and slightly worse upscaling done by KODI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto sync output resolution with input resolution0