NEWBIE - Dedicated KODI server streaming to a Samsung Smart TV and/or ROKU
Hi,

I had an old laptop which was slow and has a bad space bar key, so I decided to make it into a dedicated KODI server.
I did this by going to OpenELEC and installing its stripped down version of Linux and KODI 17.3.
Their software created a boot USB stick and in about 30 minutes, I had a dedicated KODI 17,3 server :-)

I also successfully loaded several channels into KODI and am able to watch them on my dedicated laptop :-)

I am struggling with my next steps....maybe someone here can help:

* I want to stream video channels from my new KODI stand alone server to my smart Samsung TV (How can I do this ?)

* I want to stream video channels from my new KODI stand alone server to real old TVs (for example, I bought a ROKU Express+ for an old TV. (I connected my ROKU Express+ to a VCR via composite cables and then connected the VCR to the TV using a COAX antenna line). The ROKU works fine, but, the question still remains, how can I connect KODI to an old TV which only has composite or antenna input ?

Thoughts ?
Ideas ?

Thank you !
Hello Expertmagician

Great to hear a positive outcome for some old hardware.

Hopefully you will receive lots of advice, but for the following question...
Quote:* I want to stream video channels from my new KODI stand alone server to my smart Samsung TV (How can I do this ?)
Kodi is not a server. It is a stand alone media player. Sure it has some server type functionality, but not intended or designed as the primary use

I strongly urge you to connect the laptop directly to the TV. It is the best solution for using Kodi. Trying to "stream" kodi to a tv is not its main intended use. You are simply using DLNA and uPNP functions that severly limit the functionality of Kodi.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-10-17, 23:35)Karellen Wrote: Hello Expertmagician

Great to hear a positive outcome for some old hardware.

Hopefully you will receive lots of advice, but for the following question...
Quote:* I want to stream video channels from my new KODI stand alone server to my smart Samsung TV (How can I do this ?)
Kodi is not a server. It is a stand alone media player. Sure it has some server type functionality, but not intended or designed as the primary use

I strongly urge you to connect the laptop directly to the TV. It is the best solution for using Kodi. Trying to "stream" kodi to a tv is not its main intended use. You are simply using DLNA and uPNP functions that severly limit the functionality of Kodi.

+1
I did know that KODI was a player and not a server...my error in terminology. Sorry :-)

I was hoping to be able to have any TV in my home access a single KODI player (via it's IP address or some other way) and have each TV display different KODI channels. Maybe even using a smart phone remote control application.

As a first step, can you tell me if there is a way to have my smart TV use my wireless LAN to watch KODI video streams ?
Plugging my old laptop into my TV is not practical, especially since my old laptop does not have an HDMI port.

I have a Samsung Smart TV connected to my wireless LAN. I also have an IP attached disk drive which allows me to watch movies.
How do I attach KODI to watch video streams ? and can I navigate KODO on my TV vs. on my laptop ?

Ideas ?

Thanks !

PS: After I get my smart TV to work, I them plan on trying to get my old TVs with composite connectors to work (if possible).
I don't think what you are suggesting is even possible. I think the best way would be to have a Kodi device attached to the TV. What do you mean by Kodi Channels?
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
When I say KODI Channels...I am referring to the "add-ons" which allow me to stream videos.

I wanted to be able to have my smart TV connect to my KODI player so I can watch my "add-in" channels on a real TV by using my WI-FI vs. directly attaching to my TV.
Looks like there are iPhone apps which allow me to "remote control" KODI running on my laptop, which is cool.

I also managed to see my KODI player using Microsoft Edge. But, for some reason, I did not see the video play on my browser...need to experiment more.

Ideas appreciated.

Thx !
You can't.

Streams from addons can only be played via HDMI or equivalent, at least without a lot of messing about outside Kodi.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Guess my laptop idea was not good then, if I can not stream via WIFI to my TV :-(

Sounds like to need to look into running KODI on a Firestick, or Chromecast ?

Which do the people in this Forum think is best ? Firestick, Chromecast ? Other ideas ?

I have a ROKU Express+ which I just bought because I wanted to stream to a TV that only had Composite input. But, I read somewhere that the ROKU does not support KODI, is that true ?
Kodi can't run on a Chromecast.

As this is now becoming a hardware discussion I'll move the thread there, but start by looking at the stickied threads in that section.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks I will look in the hardware thread
Sounds like you want your laptop to run Kodi and be the SOURCE for all your other TV's to get their content from...as has been stated, that is not an ideal use-case for Kodi. It looks like you know this now, and now want to just have Kodi on all of your TV's.

So...for starters, Kodi doesn't run on Roku so you can forget that Roku device.

All of your TVs should have their own Kodi player on them, via plenty of cheap devices that become Kodi boxes (e.g. RPi, AMLogic, actual computers, Android boxes, iPhones, iPads, whatever can run Kodi) you will need one each for every TV you want to run Kodi off.

You obviously have your network set up OK, so every TV with its own Kodi box will be able to access the internet and use whatever channels you want. The SOURCE does not have to be your laptop, but it can be.

Another use for your laptop is to become a server itself, NOT running Kodi, but something like unRAID or FreeNAS or whatever. Turn it into a NAS that all the other devices on the network access, that would be an OK use for that laptop.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NEWBIE - Dedicated KODI server streaming to a Samsung Smart TV and/or ROKU0