Adding a custom "miscellaneous" category for non movie/tv show videos...
Hello!

I can’t quite figure out how to add a miscellaneous category to cover short tv clips, concerts, specials, basically all the video that’s not a movie, music video or episodic tv. From what I've read, it may not be possible with the default skin on the latest release, but I'm more than willing to change skins if that will allow me to add the custom category I'm after. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
My preference for files like that is to put them in their own folder and organize it however you would like. In Kodi, add that folder as a video source, but don't designate what the content is. Then you can link that video source wherever you want (I use Titan skin to accomplish this). So when I click Movies, I have a subcategory named File Mode that directly links to that folder. This is for files that specifically don't have any information that can be scraped.

Now you say miscellaneous CATEGORY, but what do you mean? Is the explanation above what you were looking for or do you want these files to have a TAG or GENRE of miscellaneous?
In this case, these would be video files that you have info scraped for and loaded in your library. I'll explain further if that is what you are talking about.
(2017-10-18, 01:23)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: So when I click Movies, I have a subcategory named File Mode that directly links to that folder.  This is for files that specifically don't have any information that can be scraped.

I have stuck my "odds and sods" under "favourites".
This is always a difficult question to handle, not knowing your personal interests and the effort you would put into your set-up. I'll start with the wiki's Custom video entries (wiki) which lay out some solutions using custom .nfo and manually creating artwork. Of course in Kodi you can use 'file mode' often called 'video mode', usually it's the button or menu item called 'Video' all files on the system are available to the player. The trick with that method is there is no meta-data, and you have to set scrapers to none and not allow library scrapes in the source folder, but you end up with access to the material. A lot of people use 3rd party media managers, which offer easier methods to create metadata and artwork.

I personally throw clips/youtube vids/home videos into designated folders (over time I've built up 50 locations) and use favourites, Add-on:Super Favourites (wiki), on the folders and skins that allow custom links to favourites from the home page. Custom home items (wiki) throw in smart playlists, tags and custom nodes and the candy bar becomes navigable.

Skin features compatibility list (wiki) You're looking for skins that support Custom home items.
Thanks so much for the quick responses!

I have several network share locations that my Kodi connects to. At any given location, I will have a MOVIES folder, a SHOWS folder and a MISC folder. MOVIES has subfolders like DVD, BLURAY and FILES so that I can set the scraper differently for those sources where a folder contains one title (DVD/BLURAY) and those where the folder will contain many titles (FILES). SHOWS just has subfolders with the name of each individual show. The MISC folders contain everything from Christmas specials to interview appearances from celebrities I'm interested in to a band performing on Saturday Night Live and so on. A scraper is obviously of no use to me for the MISC folders, and I've named each file meticulously so that either no scrape or a scrape based on filename (I'm honestly not sure if there's a benefit to that or not....I'm guessing there might be later on when I get to learning tags and such) would be sufficient. What I want is to have a "Miscellaneous" option on the home screen right alongside "Movies", "TV Shows" and "Music Videos" that shows me ALL of the video files I have in all of the MISC folders I have.
Ok, just do it the way I originally posted, but instead of making 1 folder as a video source, add all of your misc folders as 1 video source, again don't set content. Use a skin that allows home screen customization such as Titan (my personal favorite) and you can create a shortcut directly to that source or you can tuck it as a subcategory under movies/tv/anywhere you want!
So for bumping an old thread!
I've being using the old version of Krypton. And I use the Aeon Nox. But I really like the Titan skin. It was so easy to add miscellaneous videos.
I have a PC that I run Kodi on and I enabled UPnP. And on my other PC with the same install and skin, I could add it no problem adding it via UPnP.
Anyways this Titan skin will be my new skin.

The reason why I used the Aeon Nox skin was because I like to keep a spreadsheet of the movies I have, and what location they are located at, which that skin will tell me.
Also I use the spreadsheet for if I do a new install of windows/kodi, there might be some movies that I have to manually update, because it sees that movie as totally something different.
What I'm doing now is renaming my movie files and adding the year in brackets (2020). This helps if there are 2 movies with the same name.
An example would be Carrie (1976) & Carrie (2013).

Anyways if you're having trouble add misc. files like the I did, try out the Titan skin.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding a custom "miscellaneous" category for non movie/tv show videos...0