Movies & Tv Series Library not working on remote devices
Hi, I have read this forum for about 2 days now and can't find the answer to my question. I have a windows pc with koi on as my server running xampp with mysql on there. I am using upnp to access the files from the server on 2 other devices. Now this works fine if I go to videos/files/server/movies/title. This way i can select the movie i want to watch and it updates what I have watched and resume points on all devices. However I would like to be able to select the movie i want to watch from the home screen movies tab as it would be much easier and I can also select movie sets, recently added etc. Whatever i select in the movies tab whether it just does nothing apart from make a noise that I have selected it. When I select a movie from the title tab in movies tab it says this file is no longer available. Would you like to remove it from the library?
Have you actually scanned/scraped your video collection to your kodi video library first?
AFAIK, UPnP uses the video library for sharing. See http://kodi.wiki/view/Set_content_and_scan

Quote:When I select a movie from the title tab in movies tab it says this file is no longer available. Would you like to remove it from the library?
Apparently. the video is no longer at its scanned location. Kodi stores the full (network) path including file protocol per video in the kodi video database.

And on a personal note: why use UPnP? Using SMB on a Windows machine may be a better option IMO.
(2017-10-19, 10:40)Klojum Wrote: Have you actually scanned/scraped your video collection to your kodi video library first?
AFAIK, UPnP uses the video library for sharing. See http://kodi.wiki/view/Set_content_and_scan

Quote:When I select a movie from the title tab in movies tab it says this file is no longer available. Would you like to remove it from the library?
Apparently. the video is no longer at its scanned location. Kodi stores the full (network) path including file protocol per video in the kodi video database.

And on a personal note: why use UPnP? Using SMB on a Windows machine may be a better option IMO.
(2017-10-19, 10:53)bigboyarron Wrote:
(2017-10-19, 10:40)Klojum Wrote: Have you actually scanned/scraped your video collection to your kodi video library first?

And on a personal note: why use UPnP? Using SMB on a Windows machine may be a better option IMO
My other 2 devices are an Amazon fire tv and an android tv box and I heard smb didn't work to well with non windows based (Please tell me if this is incorrect). When you say scrapped/scanned do you mean adding the files/movies from the files section when you tell koi if the files are movies or tv series? If thats what you mean then yes I have done that. 

Also my library works perfect on the windows/server kodi install.
I don't have that much experience with UPnP combined with storing videos on the same local server.
There must be something running passed eachother in terms of video file paths and/or UPnP paths.
When videos work fine via Video/Files, but not via the Movies section on the Kodi homepage, then something is wrong.
Doublecheck the file path for a movie via the Information section.
Thanks. I did check the log file yesterday and it seemed the remote device was trying to access the D drive (where my movies are located on the server) instead of an ip address. Not sure if thats where the problem lyes?
Your remote device has no direct access to the D: drive of your PC.
It would be actually easier if you had the video collection on a separate PC/'server'.
Now your network is being confused with local and UPnP links.
thats what I thought. The remote device is trying to access the files locally instead of through the local network. I think this is the source of my problem but I do not know how to change it.
Seeing as you have MySQL on your Windows machine, I'm assuming you're using that for hosting your Kodi databases.

You can share the folder holding your movies, and use that as the source on the Windows installation of Kodi.  Point your other devices at the MySQL databases using an advancedsettings.xml file (or within their Kodi forks if that's how they work).  That should synchronize where all of them are looking for media.

For more details, see http://kodi.wiki/view/Syncing_and_sharing in the wiki.  Specifically, the MySQL part in section 1.1, and the File Sharing part in section 2.

If you absolutely have to use UPnP, I can't help you there as I don't use it.
Thank you so much for all your help. I finally realised that I needed to use windows network (SMB) for the library to work how i wanted it too. Now it all works perfectly. Thanks again for all the help that made me figure this out.

Just in case anyone that comes across this in the future. When you add videos make sure you don't add it from upnp tab but from the windows network (SMB) and enter your windows username and password for the login. This will make the library work as it should do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movies & Tv Series Library not working on remote devices0