• 13(current)
v17 Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update
(2018-03-20, 16:46)afedchin Wrote: try tomorrow's nightly
 Tried it, preliminary testing seems to indicate that it's fixed (on my configuration). Running a 2013 AMD apu.

I only tried changing the refresh rate from the System settings tab (running as standalone to get the option), because it would take more time setting up my video sources etc. But anyway, in Kodi 17 and in earlier Leia nightlies, that would also have resulted in a black screen, and now I get the menu screen back.

I'll test it with video later this week when I have some more time.
(In v17 I could get out of the black screen by pressing the Winkey, and then changing focus back to Kodi. But that resulted in very choppy video playback, so that wasn't a solution. Without testing that specifically, I"m not sure whether it's really fixed. But things are looking good.)

Thanks for looking into this Smile
I can also confirm. The most annoying bug is gone. I can now use the borderless window. Thank you for fixing it.
(2018-03-22, 18:58)willemd Wrote:
(2018-03-20, 16:46)afedchin Wrote: try tomorrow's nightly
 Tried it, preliminary testing seems to indicate that it's fixed (on my configuration). Running a 2013 AMD apu.

I only tried changing the refresh rate from the System settings tab (running as standalone to get the option), because it would take more time setting up my video sources etc. But anyway, in Kodi 17 and in earlier Leia nightlies, that would also have resulted in a black screen, and now I get the menu screen back.

I'll test it with video later this week when I have some more time.
(In v17 I could get out of the black screen by pressing the Winkey, and then changing focus back to Kodi. But that resulted in very choppy video playback, so that wasn't a solution. Without testing that specifically, I"m not sure whether it's really fixed. But things are looking good.)

Thanks for looking into this Smile  
 Well, I was curious, so I tried some more. I copied my settings from v17 so I could reach my video files.

I played a 23.976Hz file. The refresh rate on my TV changed and I could see the video. So far, so good.

But I got many missed frames. (Also tried other files, same thing.) Not sure if that's related to this bugfix, but I didn't get these missed frames with v17 pre-1709. But I thought I'd report it anyway.

See screenshot:

Debug log: https://pastebin.com/qQKEE2fF
There is still a black screen when I resume from sleep unfortunately.
My Dell 7040 Optiplex which I'm using as an HTPC running Windows 10, 1703, just won't take no for an answer and insists on updating to this bloody build!!! So damn frustrating!! Seriously considering downgrading to Windows 7! Sick of it!!

I've tried all the tricks and for so long they worked! Setup my wifi connection as metered, hidden the update using wushowhide utility, deferred the update, disabled the windows update service in service settings etc etc etc
Use Windows Update Blocker Tool from sordum, this little tool prevents Windows Update service from activating itself again.

pOpY
This is a joke....had this issue for months...reinstalled my HTPC today to see if it resolved this issue, along with a few others.

When I realised it hadn't resolved it, I did some random Googling, and realised it's a common issue, caused by 1709. Awesome.

So, has anyone tested 1803? Does 1803 fix the issue? It's easy to jump in the Insider program and grab the Fast or Slow ring. I might do it myself to see, if no one else has. I can't keep putting up with havign to CTRL-ALT-DEL after watching any video file or live tv.

Not willing to compromise with watching in windowed mode...this isnt 1995.

This is one hell of a frustrating issue....and yet only Kodi is affected?  Undecided

I have an AMD APU for interest. A6 5400K with integrated HD7650.
@the_scotsman

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=330652
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-04-08, 06:22)Karellen Wrote: @the_scotsman

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=330652
 Yea, I saw that, but I'm not really using that as any sort of measure. That sounds like an upgrade fail or some kind of one off.

I find it massively unlikely that the 1803 update causes all those issues.
Well I think, at least fir now, I've solved it, for myself anyway.

I added a 1 second delay after the change of refresh rate in Kodi display settings, and I haven't been able to make it happen again since.

It may just be fluke, or it may be legit. But I've been forcing it to happen by playing all sorts of files that I know would normally cause it to happen, and it's not happening.

So I'll leave it with this 1 second delay and see how it goes.
So far I've been doing all I can to stop 1709. Windows sure does keep trying though. It says I need the newest update and starts downloading, so I reload to interrupt it, then uninstall Windows Update Assistant. I've since created a task at login to disable it when Windows turns it back on. So far so good, but we'll see. Glad to hear there is a potential fix coming.
(2018-04-11, 23:55)lightstorm22 Wrote: So far I've been doing all I can to stop 1709. Windows sure does keep trying though. It says I need the newest update and starts downloading, so I reload to interrupt it, then uninstall Windows Update Assistant. I've since created a task at login to disable it when Windows turns it back on. So far so good, but we'll see. Glad to hear there is a potential fix coming.
Also had this problem.
Just delete the windows update assisstant and use windows update Blocker tool from sordum.

pOpY
The only thing is I am trying to keep getting 1703 updates, just not 1709, so I didn't want to disable windows update service completely. I'll see how much of a pain it becomes and how long it takes for the stable Kodi release.
Has anyone tried installing the April 2018 update to see if it corrected this? I plan to install it today or tomorrow.
Since adding the delay after the refresh rate change, I haven't had it happen again at all. 

I even dropped the delay down to a couple of tenths of a second, so that it's barely noticeable, and this also keeps the fix in place. Still no more issues.

So this is worth trying if you're still having the issue. The small delay isn't noticeable. This was an instant fix for me.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update2