• 2(current)
v17 Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update
Indeed MS updates have been known to create issues. Looking over this thread, and it looks like the pile on 'me too' effect, but from my perspective, the onl.y common denominator seems to be the graphics engine issues. (statement of bewilderment of graphics card design is withheld) although some of the set-ups may contribute to the issues. In that, I would have liked each poster to have their own thread in which others could offer their contributions and experiences; and it that would be the 'Solved' moniker, that could help others with like problems. While not all issues will have successful outcomes, some will; but this thread can never be marked solved, and becomes a huge vent that doesn't lead to any solid conclusions.

I do thank those who contributed proper debug logs, it's the first step to enlightenment, the solve may come with your own post.

My quick notes:

-Green colours in the display seem to be related to hardware decoding, set for software decoding.
-Desktop Resolution: 3840x2160 32Bit at 60Hz, most of Kodi is still at 1920 x 1080 x 60, try that res.
-Recheck your driver, looks like some are not installed 100%
-I note some of this intel integrated gfx are at issue, wondering if the shared memory can be increased?
-If a standalone player works well (VLC, MPC-HC, Zoom etc) player core factory can be brought into play.
-Add-ons and their interaction with hardware can cause unforeseen issues, try a portable install with zero extras.
-Sometimes software ills will weed out with an update, try 17.5 nightly or jumpt to Leia and devs will look carefully at your log.
-I've got a ten-year-old system and Kodi runs fine, I don't mean to piss anyone off but I'm having my coffee.
(2017-10-22, 10:43)upD8R Wrote: Hi, I also have issues with refresh rate changes after fall update 1709. I'm using Kodi with DSplayer but I don't think it's related. Even if I disable DSplayer as default I don't get any picture as soon as a movie requires a refresh rate change. 50fps material works.
If I disable refresh rate change everything works as expected. Also did a fresh install of latest NVidia driver.
Logs here, but I couldn't spot anything obvious.
https://pastebin.com/igiAT19t

Okay, I understand PatK's proposal but it seems at least I can save my energy as I found the root cause for my issue.

While googling I came across some Geforce forums and they mentioned that after 1709 the color bit depth seems to cause trouble. In my Nvidia setting it's set to 12bpc and I guess my TV can't handle it. So I changed to use Nvidia settings instead of application settings and set the value to fixed 8bpc. Now the refresh rate changing in Kodi (standard and DSplayer) works as expected.

Maybe it helps other, too.
Kodi 17.x running on Nvidia Shield, 1x KODIbuntu
mySQL hosted on WHS 2011
@upD8R thanks for that, one down seven to go.
I also had issues, I rolled back my windows update and everything works as expected.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I have the same problem, no video after the Fall Windows 10 update. Only the movies will not play, everything else (home videos, music, still photos, all menus, etc) work fine.
I did some experimenting and found a work around that works for me.

I have a Vizio 70 inch 4k panel going thru a Denon AVR-X4300H to a Asrock ITX board with an AMD APU processor with 4 compute cores and 6 graphics cores. This combo has been working perfectly for about four years ( I had a
Pioneer receiver before the Denon which worked OK as well) without any special settings needed to make Kodi work just fine. When I built this system, I was really surprised to see that the R7 graphics system fully supports a 4K panel without any special software or drivers right out of the gate. The desktop looks fantastic on the 70" screen, sharp as a tack. And it is 3840x2160 because the systems tells me that info on the screen.

So now I upgraded a few days ago and Kodi will no longer play videos loaded from the MOVIES database. Screen is totally black, not even pressing "S" on the keyboard will display the "kill" dialog box.
I did set Kodi to a windowed setting and that worked, but all of the bottom icons and other distractions are still on the screen, so that's not acceptable at all.

Here's what I found (and it makes no sense at all):
If I right click on the desktop (before Kodi is started), I go to the display settings and choose screen resolution. Normally, when any display is connected to a PC, you get a list of resolutions you can choose going from the
highest (the native resolution of the panel) to the lowest. In my case the highest setting available is 4096x2160 which is NOT correct as all consumer panels are 3840x2160. However, the next lower setting is 3840x2160
and it's marked as RECOMMENDED! When I set that resolution, the desktop shows up slightly horizontally compressed (by 256 pixels) showing black bars on either side (very small). Now, I start Kodi, and it fits into the desktop
as expected, and it now plays movies! And those movies now fill out the entire screen, no tiny black bars. When I go back to the main menu, the bars are also gone. If I kill Kodi, the desktop is still compressed, but
Kodi now starts completely full screen! And it stays that way.

Just for fun, I went into the Radion driver app and played around with some scalling settings to make the desktop full screen, but no matter what, if the desktop is full screen, Kodi will NOT play movies. If I try to change the scaling
back, it has no effect on the desktop. I have to change the resolution to 4096, then back to 3840 to get everything working again.

So it seems that there is some kind of bug in the way the panel is telling the system what it's resolution is, or it could be the Denon is reporting the wrong value, yet Windows does see the recommended resolution as 3840x2160.
And Kodi seems to get out of whack when Windows reports a true 4K resolution in the data path. Of course, all of this started with the latest Windows upgrade, so something definitely changed there.

So maybe this will help others who are having difficulties like I was. I'm OK now, at least until the next upgrade!

Joel
Just an FYI, NVidia 387.92 is supposed to be the Win 10 1709 compatible driver.  There is a thread on GForce forums https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...10-17-17-/ looking for feedaback on problems with the driver.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Ok I have done some more Testing as I have 2 PCs with Kodi 17.4 running. The one with Radeon HD 5570 external Graphic card runs Win10 1709 and Kodi 17.4 no problems. The PC with onboard Intel 4500 Graphic chip does not show video but if you do a Alt Tab the video is there you have just lost all the controls from the remote control. So it seems to be only some Graphics chips/ configurations are having this problem.
Hi folks,

After I updated to the "Creators" update all it "created" was total chaos with Kodi. No video, crashes, green video, stuttering audio, no audio, loss of audio, loss of video... More of a destruction than a creation.

It drove me nuts for two days. Well, the woman would say it drove me MORE nuts.

Anyway, after trying everything I could think of, here's what worked for me, so that I can now return to the sane world.

I went to the motherboard manufacturer's website (in this case, Gigabyte, and I'm using internal video of an Intel i3-7100) and downloaded and installed the video and audio drivers located there. In each case, I was warned not to do so, as they were older than the current drivers.

However, after going back to those old drivers, things are working fine.

Of course, Windows will probably try to update these old drivers, and it may cause the problems to return. If so, I'll reinstall the old drivers.

I hope this may help others with similar problems.

Les
On my pc with Intel HD 4000 and latest drivers the only workaround is to set 'Use fullscreen window' to OFF in Kodi settings.

Go to System Settings -> Display -> Use fullscreen window  and set it OFF

Hope helps someone Wink
(2017-10-22, 18:46)PatK Wrote: Indeed MS updates have been known to create issues. Looking over this thread, and it looks like the pile on 'me too' effect, but from my perspective, the onl.y common denominator seems to be the graphics engine issues. (statement of bewilderment of graphics card design is withheld) although some of the set-ups may contribute to the issues. In that, I would have liked each poster to have their own thread in which others could offer their contributions and experiences; and it that would be the 'Solved' moniker, that could help others with like problems. While not all issues will have successful outcomes, some will; but this thread can never be marked solved, and becomes a huge vent that doesn't lead to any solid conclusions.

I do thank those who contributed proper debug logs, it's the first step to enlightenment, the solve may come with your own post.

My quick notes:

-Green colours in the display seem to be related to hardware decoding, set for software decoding.
-Desktop Resolution: 3840x2160 32Bit at 60Hz, most of Kodi is still at 1920 x 1080 x 60, try that res.
-Recheck your driver, looks like some are not installed 100%
-I note some of this intel integrated gfx are at issue, wondering if the shared memory can be increased?
-If a standalone player works well (VLC, MPC-HC, Zoom etc) player core factory can be brought into play.
-Add-ons and their interaction with hardware can cause unforeseen issues, try a portable install with zero extras.
-Sometimes software ills will weed out with an update, try 17.5 nightly or jumpt to Leia and devs will look carefully at your log.
-I've got a ten-year-old system and Kodi runs fine, I don't mean to piss anyone off but I'm having my coffee.

Thank you for the feedback. I did some testing after your post. I reinstalled my graphics drivers and still had the green issue. I run my HTPC at 3840x2160/60 so I tried disabling hardware acceleration and still got the issue. I dropped the res to 1080p, with and without acceleration I also get the issue. The work around for me so far has been to not use adjust refresh rate option. Not using this option results in normal video display. Hopefully that helps.
Being the Halloween season, my Kodi problems came back even after I thought I'd killed them by re-installing the original manufacturer video and audio drivers (Gigabyte motherboard, Intel Core i3-7100). Green video, unstable playback.

Trying more possible solutions, it appears (for now at least) that the problem goes away if I switch from YCbCr to RGB color. Hope this helps others. The downside is that I do prefer YCbCr, which appears more accurate to me and I believe is in fact the native format for most consumer video sources.
I have a NUC7i3BNH with windows 10 1709 and Kodi 17.4 with the same problem of shuttering and poor quality. The only thing that helps a little is put fixed FPS to 60p and disabling Kodi to change FPS according to material to reproduce. The FPS 23,9..FPS with bluray film give very orrible quality. In this moment is better a "chinese android box" that costs 30$; but INTEL and Microsofts seem to not understand this.
The same problems happens also with VLC and Media Home player: the only app that seems quite good is "Film & TV" of windows, but it is very poor app unable to make an HTPC. From INTEL forum seems to be a problem of compatibility between windows 1709 and new driver for these upgrade of windows. It is not possible to go back with driver because you will receice error that the old drivers is no more usable with windows 1709. So if you will go back you must also go to Windows 1703.

This situation is not the first time for those peolple that will use a PC with windows + Kodi as HTPC. Every upgrade of S.O. or drivers leads to this similar situations; with my NUC is the third time in 6 mounts: it is a hell; i did spent more time to configure and stabilize my HTPC than to see my films

Regards

Filippo
Same problem also for me,
But i am using Kodi 18
looking on google seems that this symptom is also there in some games.

My pc use an HD6670 connected to ONKYO TX-NR609, before fall update everything goes well,
bot now when kodi changing refresh rate on play, the screen turns black and the audio sometimes crashes and resumes.

I have also done various tests without results as:
*Reinstall kodi
*Use default windows video drivers
*Reinstall AMD Radeon drivers
*Changed BPC color and Format Pixel
*Use Win+G to set to kodi all resources as a game
but nothing fix the problem.

For now the only solution is disable "Adjust display refresh rate"
At least so you can see the videos,
although rewinding and advancement cause green screen for a few seconds...
Dev-Maintainer of Netflix add-on ▫ Skills Python, C#, VB.NET and a bit of C++
I really hate to be that guy, but you shouldn't be updating Windows to the latest version without a fresh install. With 8 machines running Windows 10, I can say without a doubt that upgrading to these "service packs" (Threshold 2, anniversary update, creators update, fall creators update) can and usually does cause problems. This isn't to say that you can't do it without having issues, but every reproducible problem I found was non existent if I did a fresh install vs updating. I would recommend EVERYONE to do a fresh install with these updates until Windows 10 is actually finalized. Just my 2 cents and experience.
in my 3 computers that i have never had any problems with massive updates,
i have windows 10 since it came out and i've never made fresh install to avoid updates because it never created problems at least to me.

and Windows 10 does not need to be "finalized". The updating policy does not follow the policy of old operating systems (service packs).
Now windows itself is seen as a "service", so microsoft periodically updates with the same version.
I advise you to update your immense experience.
Dev-Maintainer of Netflix add-on ▫ Skills Python, C#, VB.NET and a bit of C++
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update2