• 5(current)
v17 Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update
Hi all,

I'm also having the same problem.

N3150
My htpc is AMD and is having this issue.
(2017-11-12, 19:30)les_hd Wrote: There was no issue until Microsoft released the Fall Creator's Update.

Many people - including me - would think that Microsoft bears some responsibility, at the least for not properly testing the new release and working with Intel to correct the problem before the new release affected lots of users.

Further, I've seen reports of problems from users of external video cards (made by AMD) not using Intel graphics - that also indicates the problem goes beyond Intel.

Microsoft is on this hook, too.

Microsoft is a platform, an operating system.  They change things from time to time.  Some are more severe changes than others.  Those that want to continue using their things with MS have to adjust their things, abandon their things, and/or submit new things.  Competitive thing manufacturers are not going to help the competition.  MS doesn't have a responsibility to ensure things continue to work as they did in the past.  MS is going to advance with or without them.  They may address problems requiring small adjustments to help things work better but the bulk of the adjustment is on the thing manufacturer.  I can guarantee you, the need for you to turn off match refresh rate setting which creates other problems is not high priority on any front.  While AMD and Intel GPU's present this problem, others like NVidia do not according to user feedback including mine. Things like this are what influence my decisions for using what I do.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Right, it makes a lot of sense for Microsoft to release a new version of Windows that messes up the 95% of the market using Intel and AMD graphics.  That builds customer goodwill.  That makes people feel good about Microsoft.

Some people (like me) also use Ubuntu and Android, where things tend to work or have solutions.
My HTPC have an AMD Radeon HD 7660D and it is having same issue.

I have found a workaround setting the resolution to 1920x1080i (originally was 1920x1080p).
Updated also to Fall Creators Windows and had the same problem on a NUC6i3SYH incl. latest drivers installed.
 When connected the keyboard and pressed the Windows Key while playing a video, the video showed up and stayed.
Stop the movie, same black screen.
What solved for me the issue as a workaround was to disable Full Screen in Kodi.
Then all worked fine without problems.

Cheers
Tom

Microsoft released today an update to Windows Fall Creator Update and the changelog lists "Addressed issue that causes a black screen to appear when you switch between windowed and full-screen modes when playing some Microsoft DirectX games."
Was hoping it would address the problem we are facing, but still out of luck, back to disabling full screen mode. Still can control Kodi with my Harmony and with CEC
I HAD the same problems, strange colors and the need to Alt-Tab to resolve it. On a Intel NUC7i5BNH, Windows 10 (64bits), Kodi-App with 'always adjust refresh rate'.
Yesterday evening: latest Windows Update: KB4048955 (OS Build 16299.64) solved ALL 'color'-issues! (still some issues left but that is for another thread...). Both on 1920x1080p and 3480x2160p.
It takes longer for a movie to start play/resume/stop, about 3 seconds.
I just installed Windows Update xx8955 and everything is working perfectly again - as it was BEFORE the Windows Fall Creators 2017 Update.

As I said, a solution would have to come from Microsoft and Intel.  And that's exactly what happened.

Microsoft did bear major responsibility on this problem.
Les, the update for was for 'Game mode'.  I think the majority of the user posts here are for 'Video mode'.  Also, according to your previous posts, this update did nothing to get you working perfectly again since prior to the hotfix you were already working perfectly after updating your GPU drivers which had nothing to do with MS.  The important part is you are working perfectly although it appears the hotfix for game mode from MS has not done anything for others using video mode.  That would be up to Intel.  Fwiw, not running full screen (the temp fix) breaks external player calls.  I don't know what else if affects also?  This will not affect the majority of users as they have no need for external players.  For users like myself, we rely on external players for things like HDR and 3D seamlessly integrated with Kodi.  Curious when you say everything is working perfectly if those couple things are too?  I can't test for you.  I use NVidia.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Microsoft update KB4048955 didn't solve the issue for me (graphics AMD Radeon HD 7660D)  Sad
The system was not working perfectly after the Intel driver update.  I thought it was - but later I tried going into YCbCr mode from RGB, and the "green monster" effect was still there.  I had to go back to RGB to keep it working.

After the latest Windows update, YCbCr now works fine.  I don't use Game mode at all - so clearly the update affected more than just that mode. 

"Everything" means everything I use in Kodi, not everything in the possible universe of Kodi functions.  I don't use HDR or 3D in Windows Kodi.  I use the Smart TV's built in app for those, outside of Kodi.

Full functionality (as I use it) in Kodi did not return until after two Intel graphics driver updates and one Windows update.
In fact, the release notes from Microsoft for xx8955 say:

" Addressed issue that causes a black screen to appear when you switch between windowed and full-screen modes when playing some Microsoft DirectX games. "

This is exactly one of the problems that I and others experienced - in Kodi.  Clearly the bug affected not just "some Microsoft DirectX games" but also affected Kodi, and probably many other programs.  The bug came from Microsoft and was repaired by Microsoft.
And why I still have the same problem?

No, I think there is something else broken.

Cheers
Tom
just for curiosity, does this exe solve anything?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/979tx2nfaq7417j/kodi.zip (exe-only based on vanilla kodi 17.6)
Tagging along - I have two installs.  A NUC and an HTPC with an Nvidia GeForce 610 video card and both are having the issue since the creator's update.

I've updated the drivers of each to the latest and it still happens.  I really want to have the refresh rate synced to the video content because otherwise I don't get smooth playback on my projector for 24FPS content (most movies).
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with video after Windows 10 Fall Creators 2017 Update2