v17 Nvidia Shield VS. (my older) HTPC
Dear users,

Im a huge fan of Kodi and been using it for a while.
I have both a Nvidia Shield and my old HTPC i can run it on.

When i first got the Shield i was madly in love with it and thought it was flawless.....so maybe its Kodi 17 for android or maybe its the latest update of the Shield itself but i cant have smooth playback.
Im running it on a LG OLED tv which is hooked up to a Pioneer SC-LX56k receiver.

Like i said i also have a old HTPC with the following specs; i3 Intel Processor, 16GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD5450 Videocard (which needs to be upgraded for 4K content).

On both devices i run Kodi 17.4 but i think the HTPC does it better and way smoother, what could be the cause of this??

Im using exactly the same settings on both devices, but on the Shield every 30-40 seconds the screen gets a bit jerky/stutter for 1 second and this annoys me......

I mainly watch 1080p Bluray movies and series.....

Would like to hear your thoughts because i do prefer to use the Shield but only if it will give me smooth playback of my content.

Thanks in advance,
Mitch.
Is your Shield switching the refresh rate on your tv when watching 24 fps content?
(2017-10-21, 17:58)FXB78 Wrote: Is your Shield switching the refresh rate on your tv when watching 24 fps content?

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah it is...the settings are exactly the same so thats the strange thing. Its changing to 1080p 24hz when a movie is running but still every 30-40 seconds there is a slight hickup...its on different content as well, content that is running properly on the older HTPC
People with other thoughts what could be te problem?
How about providing a Debug log (wiki).
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
PC architecture outperforms ARM...
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Shield or any other android will never better an optimized Intel rig. Dunno if the nvidia bug (from Linux) rears it's head on Android, but on Linux you need to specify custom modelines to get smooth playback of 23.976hz. Also on Intel you can do passthrough of the video levels. On android you let the SOC handle the video and the results are often unsatisfactory. YMMV.
Thanks for the replies guys, i appreciate it!
Should i just stick with Windows 10 or is Libreelec the way to go?

All i want is the best perfomance of the media being played, doesnt matter if its Windows/Linux whatever.
You can testdrive LibreELEC by running it off a USB stick on your PC.
(2017-10-23, 16:17)Soli Wrote: Shield or any other android will never better an optimized Intel rig. Dunno if the nvidia bug (from Linux) rears it's head on Android, but on Linux you need to specify custom modelines to get smooth playback of 23.976hz. Also on Intel you can do passthrough of the video levels. On android you let the SOC handle the video and the results are often unsatisfactory. YMMV.

Nothing to do with it, the Shield will playback 23.976 just as smothly.

(2017-10-21, 17:31)Mitchlw Wrote: Im using exactly the same settings on both devices, but on the Shield every 30-40 seconds the screen gets a bit jerky/stutter for 1 second and this annoys me......

I mainly watch 1080p Bluray movies and series.....

Would like to hear your thoughts because i do prefer to use the Shield but only if it will give me smooth playback of my content.

Thanks in advance,
Mitch.

Again, you need to provide a Debug log (wiki).

Also, I would try v18 nightly.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I will try out v18 tonight, i saw a tutorial on how to install it on the Shield so gonna give it a try.

If this doesnt fix the 'issue' i will upload a debug log.
Ahh so Kodi 17.5 just released with different Android fixes/enhancements?? Probably best to try that instead of v18 right??
(2017-10-24, 20:49)Mitchlw Wrote: Ahh so Kodi 17.5 just released with different Android fixes/enhancements?? Probably best to try that instead of v18 right??

No, as it has some issues.  If you're going to go with 17, wait for 17.5.1 you can already download it from the mirrors or you can wait for it to show up in the play store.
Thanks for the headsup Tinwarble, i just installed 17.5.1 and will go from there.
Are there many Android features/fixes/enhancements in Kodi 18Huh Should i give it a chance or just wait till a 'stable' release is out?
Yes, there are several features/fixes and v18 is what I run on all my Shields.

Also, there should be Shield firmware update coming fairly soon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield VS. (my older) HTPC0