Long term plans for xbmc distro?
Question 
Sorry if this is covered somewhere else, and this is in no way a feature request, just a question. I was wondering what the long term plan for an xbmc linux distribution is. Obviously Ubuntu makes sense now given where xbmc is in development (already very impressive, thanks!) but in the long run you clearly don't want a box under your tv booting up a full featured desktop OS. I see the threads about running xbmc without Gnome or KDE or booting from a flash drive, which is all cool - just wondering where it's going.

Are there any plans to work on making a platform that is more appliance-like - something that boots very quickly and only has the bare minimum dependencies installed? I understand this would be non trivial, but it's also something that a wider group of people could work on like linux experts who might not know a lot of C/C++. Is making an xbmc linux distro of some kind something that the developers are interested in working on down the line after the core application is feature complete? Or is this something that end users should be figuring out for themselves?
mpw222 Wrote:Sorry if this is covered somewhere else, and this is in no way a feature request, just a question. I was wondering what the long term plan for an xbmc linux distribution is. Obviously Ubuntu makes sense now given where xbmc is in development (already very impressive, thanks!) but in the long run you clearly don't want a box under your tv booting up a full featured desktop OS. I see the threads about running xbmc without Gnome or KDE or booting from a flash drive, which is all cool - just wondering where it's going.

Are there any plans to work on making a platform that is more appliance-like - something that boots very quickly and only has the bare minimum dependencies installed? I understand this would be non trivial, but it's also something that a wider group of people could work on like linux experts who might not know a lot of C/C++. Is making an xbmc linux distro of some kind something that the developers are interested in working on down the line after the core application is feature complete? Or is this something that end users should be figuring out for themselves?
milestone 3 from the xbmx linux wiki
Quote: * Milestone 1 - Get all existing XBMC functionality (features/functions) working as they already work on the Xbox version of XBMC.
o During this first phase XBMC will only need to be running as app in a third-party Linux Desktop Environment (ie. under KDE/GNOME)
o This phase also includes audio/video playback using all of XBMC's player cores (MPlayer, DVDPlayer, PAPlayer, and MODPlayer)
* Milestone 2 - Add Linux specific items (hardware configuration, network settings, multiple input-device support, driver packaging, etc.)
o During this phase support will be added to also run XBMC as its own Window Manager / Windowing system (without KDE/GNOME)
o XBMC will need to have all the built-in settings for mouse, keyboard, joystick, etc. to act as a shell (without third-party dependencies)
* Milestone 3 - Package XBMC with a stripped version of an existing Linux distribution as a bootable LiveDistro (a.k.a. Live CD) (alternatively our own custom Distribution)
o The idea being that XBMC should be installed onto any USB flash drive using this LiveDistro (a.k.a. Live CD) on the target device.
o Though a custom version of the Linux distribution (stripped for XBMC use only) the plan is still to use a vanilla kernel (if possible).
* Milestone 4 - Native 64-bit support (AMD64/EMT64), XBMC and all its libraries to be compiled on and for 64-bit.
* Milestone ? - Yet to be decided; after XBMC Linux port reached a certain maturity the "linuxport" branch in SVN might be merged into the "main SVN trunk.
o At this point in time it is impossible to say exactly when and at what stage or even if this merger will ever happen.
Milestone 1 is looking pretty good so far! Very impressive progress IMO.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Long term plans for xbmc distro?0