just a small question about playback and buffering...
Just wanted to ask the following...

If I want to playback a video, and I want to avoid buffering, I will pause my video at the beginning and let it build up so when I resume playing the video I reduce the probability of freezes etc. My question is, it appears to me that Kodi will only get so far ahead of the video regardless of how long I have it paused, so pausing for 5 mins or 30 mins is the same, there is no additional cushion created by pausing for a longer period of time. Is this a default setting? Is there a way to change this somehow so that the longer I pause a video the more cushion will be created?

Thanks.
It's basically set up as the default and pausing is unlikely to give you much more time (tiny amount of RAM for the video cache, about 60 MB) . HOW-TO:Modify the video cache (wiki) and Caches explained (wiki). The most common cause of streaming video buffering is bandwidth limitations of the source and the hops for that signal to get to your set-up, sometimes a re-connect will give a more direct pathway. I've never had buffering on a local source unless it became unavailable after start (someone unplugged the drive).
thank you Pat...perhaps its my home media editing software and the final product's interaction with kodi that creates the occasional problem (could certainly be something im doing incorrectly) ..not a major issue at all, but nonetheless, why not have it cache more rather than less if I am away from my pc for a while while its paused.

PS - I would urge the Kodi team to find a way to create a simple technique to making adjustments such as these that does not require going into files or editing items, but rather some Kodi addon etc which one could input info into and have it overwrite xml files. Asking a novice to create, move and edit files is just asking for trouble imho.

thanks again Smile
There's the 'feature request' thread, if enough people get on board, someone with skills might oblige. https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9
Perfect Styles, I also tried to get some info about the subject in my last thread I did here, the only way is the advancedsettings.xml way to get bigger cache.... it works but ONLY on single videofiles like MKV, M2TS and so on,, dont work on ISO or Bluray folders(.mpls file) at all...

I would also like someone to add this future in kodi, for ALL types of videofiles....
I think the stock +20mb forward cache is a bit to small in some cases, wouldnt hurt to change that to at least 100mb... or more..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
just a small question about playback and buffering...0