v17 Where I can toggle on/off SSH, Samba and Wifi | What the is default password via SSH
Question 
Hi all!

I'm not a NOOB, I'm actually a long time user of Kodi especially Libreelec.

For reasons a bit complex, I've had to go back to standard Kodi (17.4) on my Raspberry Pi 3, and I'm having a terrible time. I am seriously missing the Libreelec option in the Kodi Settings section. Without it, I cannot fathom where I can toggle on/off SSH, Samba and Wifi. It sounds daft I know, but I've spent hours researching online and all I keep finding is how to do those exact things in Libreelec and Openelec, but nothing about how to do that in standard Kodi.

I also cannot find what the default password is for accessing Kodi via SSH, but again resources detailing those facts for Openelec. But at least I know 'Kodi' is the default username for standard Kodi!

If there is someone out there can provide answers to all my questions it would help at great deal. Especially helping all those other people like me who'd want to find the same answers in the future, but would spare them hours of frustration as I've endured!

Thanks in advance.
When you say you're using "standard Kodi" on the Pi do you mean that instead of Libreelec you're using a full blown Linux OS such as Raspbian and have Kodi installed as an application?

If so then all networking is managed via the operating system.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
Those things can be enabled/disabled in the LibreELEC Settings Add-on.
LibreELEC has its own settings location, because normally with Kodi this would be done within the underlying operating system.

Default SSH login: root / libreelec
You can't actually access "Kodi" via SSH in any of the setups. In all cases you're accessing the underlying operating system, but in the case of LibreElec and OpenElec those operating systems are very minimal and cut down ("just enough for kodi").

As @Dangelus said, for a Raspbian install, everything you've mentioned is set up, configured and controlled the and totally outside Kodi. The LE and OE addons are just access routes to those settings as you can't access the OS itself. In Raspbian the direct access is there.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Hi Dangelus, Klojum, and DarrenHill

Thanks for your replies

Yes, I have Raspbian with Kodi installed.

Sorry I got confused being a Libreelec user for such a long time. I can now appreciate the underlying OS controls that functionality once Kodi is installed if not using Libreelec, or Openelec. Yes I was being daft... But never-the-less thank you!

So if I cannot ssh Kodi directly would any sudo commands to Raspbian be still passed on to Kodi?

Thank you.
Kodi is a program, things like ssh, samba, wifi connections, etc, are controlled by the underlying OS even on Open/LibreELEC. The diference is that there isn't (at least that I know off) an addon to controll this kind of things from within Kodi, compatible with Raspbian, like there is for Open/LibreELEC.
SSH on Raspbian comes disabled by default, also samba, for security reasons.
If you want to use Kodi on Raspbian, I suggest that you take a look on Raspbian documentation first:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/
I think raspbian has ssh server installed by default, so ssh in as the standard user named pi, default password raspberry )but you should change that!)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-10-24, 02:21)nickr Wrote: I think raspbian has ssh server installed by default, so ssh in as the standard user named pi, default password raspberry )but you should change that!)

FWIW, SSH is installed by default on Jessie, but disabled.  You have to use raspi-config to enable it.  And it you haven't changed the default password it bitches at you every time you do anything.  As well it should.
Newer versions of raspbian have SSH installed, but it is now disabled by default as a security measure since the default account is well known.

Default username is "pi", default password is "raspberry".

To make SSH start at boot, there's a few options.  Do *ONE* of the following

* Mount your SD card on some other system and create a file called "ssh" (no extension).  SSH will launch at next boot
* Run sudo systemctl start ssh from the running system.
* run sudo raspi-config.   Scroll to "interfacing options", then "SSH", then enable the SSH server.

Samba should be active if the packages are installed.  Not sure how you're configuring it.  I would normally edit `/etc/samba/smbd.conf` and restart the service (or reboot).
Hi rascas nickr pkscout bowlofred!

Thanks for all your replies.

I have successfully SSH and FTP to Raspbian and RetroPie prior to this thread. That's not been an issue for me, although I do appreciate the supportive comments. May be I wasn't specific enough with thread placement or the title? I just thought as I could also SSH and FTP in to LibreELEC, I could do the same with Kodi. Silly in retrospect... But its clear to me now LibreELEC on an SD Card is more akin to Raspbian on an SD Card, rather than Kodi intstalled on Raspbian on an SD Card.

Yes... I'm a muppet...

Thanks for reading!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where I can toggle on/off SSH, Samba and Wifi | What the is default password via SSH0