Thinking about writing a plugin to stream "now playing" content to other Kodi boxes
My wife and I like to watch TV shows together but sometimes we end up getting pulled into different rooms of the house and cannot watch the same TV. So, I thought it would be nice if we could just "turn" say the kitchen Kodi to the living room Kodi "channel" and watch/listen to the same thing. One big point is that the videos need to be in sync so that we don't miss parts or have the audio going "in a round" throughout the house. 

Does this sound plausible? 

spit balling, high level steps:

get path to "now playing"
create/host video stream 
have method for listing active streams on other boxes
play selected stream. 

I have a decent back ground in python but no experience working with videos or streams. 

My current configuration consists of 4 instances of Kodi running on Raspberry Pis with all the media files and library DB on a headless Debian box. 

thank you for your comments, questions and or suggestions. 

Jay
hello world down. 

Next I need to figure out how to output to the/a log file and then how to get the now playing information. 

I am also a little concerned about how to run/trigger my add-on. Ideally I would like it to kick off just after anynew media starts playing but kicking off on boot and polling for/if the now playing file is a less than ideal option. 

For now I can kick it off manually.

Jay
(2017-10-25, 06:41)jay123035 Wrote: hello world down. 

Next I need to figure out how to output to the/a log file and then how to get the now playing information. 

I am also a little concerned about how to run/trigger my add-on. Ideally I would like it to kick off just after anynew media starts playing but kicking off on boot and polling for/if the now playing file is a less than ideal option. 

For now I can kick it off manually.

Jay

There are many plugins including some I've already written that "Share" content with other Kodi instances for a "Multi-room" effect.

You don't actually share anything, the idea is to have a central server, the plugin syncs Kodi instances to play everything in  unisense.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking about writing a plugin to stream "now playing" content to other Kodi boxes0