Android TV - 4k videos downgrade problem
I have a Sony Android TV and installed kodi 17.5
On the system settings display menu the resolution is grayed (faded out) and I can't changed it.It is stucked at 1080p
Now when I play a 4k video the resolution doesn't switch to 4k (2160p) but instead kodi downgrades the video to 1080p.
The videos play smoothly without any chops and breaks and on Kodi 17.5 you fixed the problem with AC3 and dts passthough so good job.
But ....
Why there is no option to switch the resolution of Kodi to 2160p so we can enjoy 4k video in all it's gloyy?Is there a fix maybe a workaround?
Thx in advance Smile
There's nothing to fix. We support whatever android gives us so this is a Sony issue and you should report it to them.
Also the gui resolution is totally unrelated to whatever the video resolution is
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I see, thx for the fast reply!
(2017-10-25, 12:19)Martijn Wrote: There's nothing to fix. We support whatever android gives us so this is a Sony issue and you should report it to them.
Also the gui resolution is totally unrelated to whatever the video resolution is

When I play a 4k video and go to the calibration video menu I can see there the resolution the video is playing and it is 1080p instead of 2160p.
Alternatively, get a decent standalone player instead of the TV running the video.
I never have had TV internal hardware in high regard, since 9/10 times the hardware is very below par to what the screen can achieve.
I already have a TV box and I also connect my pc to my tv.At this point Android TV deliver the best picture quality.On pc Kodi doesn't fully support hevc and also kodi doesn't support at all hdr.On tv boxes sometimes there are chops and break up when I play uhd 4k with hdr on.On Android TV on the other hand I have no issues at all except for the downgrade res on 4k videos.I will contact with sony support and see what is going on.
Make sure you have Mediacodec Surface hardware acceleration selected to get 4k and use this to verify whether you actually get 4K https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=261768
(2017-10-25, 18:50)jjd-uk Wrote: Make sure you have Mediacodec Surface hardware acceleration selected to get 4k and use this to verify whether you actually get 4K https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=261768

Where I can find this option on kodi 17.5?
I think you are downplaying the issue, since upgrading from Jarvis to Krypton i have experienced this on 2 seperate external Android boxes, I have tested by downgrading both boxes back to 16 and can confirm display settings report correctly as 4k.
I have the same issue with Kodi 17.5 on Amazon Fire TV (2nd Gen).
The Fire TV plays 4K UHD content w/o issue, KODI will not (video freeze at open).

So I guess the better solution would be a Wiki or Forum post that tells us what settings/steps should be taken to ensure KODI is setup properly for 4K resolution.

Searching 4K or UHD in the Forum Search is invalid due to being too short of a search term.   Oo

Thanks for listening...
Dear all.

4K output from Kodi will work:

1) by setting up your Android TV on 4K output (general video parameters on your TV Box);
2) by inserting the following lines in the advancedsettings.xml file of your Kodi application:

<videoscreen>
    <resolution default="true">15</resolution>
   </videoscreen>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android TV - 4k videos downgrade problem0