Nvidia Shield vs Minix U9 -h vs cheap android boxes
Man this is hard, as i have seen many of the same threads pop up here, but i guess to each his own.
I need a box capable of running h265 10bit HDR/Dolby Vision
Decoding Dolby ATMOS, DTS X, DTS HD MA
Run PLex server (optional)
Has GBIT/WIFI AC
Plays ISO/m2ts 4k hdr 10bit with full menu
No box on the market meets what you are looking for. Tech Specs may be one thing but you need Firmware and supporting software to even to be able to use media player features.

Dolby Vision buy an Apple TV 4K

Plex Server buy a NVIDIA Shield or Intel Box or a NAS

Mixed 1080p and 4K HDR with correct colorspace mapping after auto, hands off resolution switching buy a MINIX U9 and run LibreELEC on it.

Bluray Menus means a Zidoo X9S, not sure how well that works.
The Himedis Q10 may have Bluray Menus as well. Check in its individual thread.

No box does everything.

(2017-10-25, 16:58)wrxtasy Wrote: No box on the market meets what you are looking for. Tech Specs may be one thing but you need Firmware and supporting software to even to be able to use media player features.

Dolby Vision buy an Apple TV 4K

Plex Server buy a NVIDIA Shield or Intel Box or a NAS

Mixed 1080p and 4K HDR with correct colorspace mapping after auto, hands off resolution switching buy a MINIX U9 and run LibreELEC on it.

Bluray Menus means a Zidoo X9S, not sure how well that works.
The Himedis Q10 may have Bluray Menus as well. Check in its individual thread.

No box does everything.

thank you, i know that there isnt a box that can do everything but was looking for something that is close. since you are the most knowledgable here about the boxes, whats the main diference between the U9 and the shield?
@Tinwarble or the Shield guys can reply first outlining what Android TV on the NVIDIA Shield provides these days....

(2017-10-25, 16:58)wrxtasy Wrote: Mixed 1080p and 4K HDR with correct colorspace mapping after auto, hands off resolution switching buy a MINIX U9 and run LibreELEC on it.

What do you mean with 'correct colorpace mapping after auto' wrxtasy?

Are you saying the Minix U9 is doing HDR->SDR conversion (if so - do we know who and what algorithm its using) ?
(2017-10-26, 10:35)noggin Wrote:
(2017-10-25, 16:58)wrxtasy Wrote: Mixed 1080p and 4K HDR with correct colorspace mapping after auto, hands off resolution switching buy a MINIX U9 and run LibreELEC on it.

What do you mean with 'correct colorpace mapping after auto' wrxtasy?
Shield colorspace 1080p / 4K auto resolution switching Issues:
https://github.com/koying/SPMC/issues/1060
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...uzmannv/1/

Quote:Are you saying the Minix U9 is doing HDR->SDR conversion (if so - do we know who and what algorithm its using) ?
Yes in fact...
All AML S905X and S912 OSMC / LibreELEC releases that are using the common @kszaq / @JohnGalt massaged AMLogic Nougat based Linux Kernel.
No idea what Algorithm is used. @Wek05 may know more. It may be a custom AML job.
Visually looks fine on my 10bit (8bit dithered) non HDR 4K TV for 10bit 4K HDR video content playback.

The Shield will meet most of you needs other than Dolby Vision. However, that may be added in a future firmware update, though it may be software rather than hardware support.

No box will decode Atmos (and I believe that extents to DTS:X) as it is spatially-encoded object based substream. If you want pass-through, the Shield is capable of passing all HD audio formats to a compatible AVR.

At also comes pre-installed with Plex Media Server, has GigE and 802.11 AC 2.4 + 5GHz wi-fi. Full specs are here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304226

Playing "ISO/m2ts 4k hdr 10bit with full menu" is not something anyone should be worried about as there is NO way currently to rip 4K BDs. Unless you are planing on playing a bunch of test videos the only legal way to play 4K at this time is through streaming apps such as Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-10-26, 10:16)wapvi Wrote: thank you, i know that there isnt a box that can do everything but was looking for something that is close. since you are the most knowledgable here about the boxes, whats the main difference between the U9 and the shield?
MINIX U9 runs Android touchscreen/tablet OS which needs an Air Mouse to control touchscreen Android Apps properly. There are more Apps available from the Google Playstore vs Android TV but they are harder to use on a TV screen with an Air Mouse. Some people detest Air Mouse Apps control on a TV screen. Non Tech users simply hate it due to the co-ordination and concentration required to use such an Air mouse on a TV screen.

U9 also Dual boots to LibreELEC Kodi Krypton and can also install an unofficial Android TV ROM to internal eMMC storage.
At the moment an optimised LibreELEC Kodi Krypton is superior when running on the U9 vs the Android Kodi on the Shield simply because 1080p / 4K HDR Kodi, Kodi HDR > SDR and Kodi PVR's and deinterlacing work properly. There are also less Kodi limitations once you ditch the Android OS.

NVIDIA Shield runs Android TV. Android TV Apps are specifically designed for use on a TV screen using a simple Wireless Voice Remote. These Apps are a LOT easier to control on a TV screen. The Shield has all the required DRM and HDCP certificates needed by Netflix & other paid for streaming Apps and Google themselves these days.
The NVIDIA Shield has the most powerful hardware out of all the Android boxes on the market, its a great all rounder media player.

Tablet Android Apps usually do not run properly on Android TV. There is even a seperate Android TV only Google Playstore.
Once you use Android TV Apps and its control method, going back to tablet ANDROID Apps is really painful.

In the end it depends on what users consider are the most important media player features and Apps needed and ones they must have working properly without workarounds and continually fiddling with settings. Just do proper research before buying anything.

(2017-10-26, 12:44)Tinwarble Wrote: there is NO way currently to rip 4K BDs

https://www.deuhd.ru/index.html supports more than 60 4K UHD discs, and will be updated weekly

€199 to rip your UHD discs.....
(2017-10-26, 13:43)komplex Wrote:
(2017-10-26, 12:44)Tinwarble Wrote: there is NO way currently to rip 4K BDs

https://www.deuhd.ru/index.html supports more than 60 4K UHD discs, and will be updated weekly

€199 to rip your UHD discs.....

yep that's why i'm asking :Smilehat tool does a 1:1 copy of the uhd bluray
(2017-10-26, 13:13)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-10-26, 10:16)wapvi Wrote: thank you, i know that there isnt a box that can do everything but was looking for something that is close. since you are the most knowledgable here about the boxes, whats the main difference between the U9 and the shield?
MINIX U9 runs Android touchscreen/tablet OS which needs an Air Mouse to control touchscreen Android Apps properly. There are more Apps available from the Google Playstore vs Android TV but they are harder to use on a TV screen with an Air Mouse. Some people detest Air Mouse Apps control on a TV screen. Non Tech users simply hate it due to the co-ordination and concentration required to use such an Air mouse on a TV screen.

U9 also Dual boots to LibreELEC Kodi Krypton and can also install an unofficial Android TV ROM to internal eMMC storage.
At the moment an optimised LibreELEC Kodi Krypton is superior when running on the U9 vs the Android Kodi on the Shield simply because 1080p / 4K HDR Kodi, Kodi HDR > SDR and Kodi PVR's and deinterlacing work properly. There are also less Kodi limitations once you ditch the Android OS.

NVIDIA Shield runs Android TV. Android TV Apps are specifically designed for use on a TV screen using a simple Wireless Voice Remote. These Apps are a LOT easier to control on a TV screen. The Shield has all the required DRM and HDCP certificates needed by Netflix & other paid for streaming Apps and Google themselves these days.
The NVIDIA Shield has the most powerful hardware out of all the Android boxes on the market, its a great all rounder media player.

Tablet Android Apps usually do not run properly on Android TV. There is even a seperate Android TV only Google Playstore.
Once you use Android TV Apps and its control method, going back to tablet ANDROID Apps is really painful.

In the end it depends on what users consider are the most important media player features and Apps needed and ones they must have working properly without workarounds and continually fiddling with settings. Just do proper research before buying anything.
thanks for the details, i had bought so many gadgets over the time that just end up in a box somewhere becaus ei didnt not reseaarch on it enough or because i didnt know my needs. As it stands right now, i know i want a tool /box to allow me to play UHD HDR 10bit with Atmos (passthrough). I have smart tvs for NETFLIX and AMAZON 4k/hdr
Get a MINIX U9 then for your local 4K HDR content. Android Kodi on it can do what you want, but with a bit of DIY - LibreELEC is the superior Kodi 4K HDR choice with a whole bunch of working Kodi Auto switching options. Android will just get in the way for trouble free 4K HDR Kodi playback.

(2017-10-26, 16:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Get a MINIX U9 then for your local 4K HDR content. Android Kodi on it can do what you want, but with a bit of DIY - LibreELEC is the superior Kodi 4K HDR choice with a whole bunch of working Kodi Auto switching options. Android will just get in the way for trouble free 4K HDR Kodi playback.

yup just ordered one, should be here in 3 weeks hopefully. Thanks for the help
In terms of video quality for any given resolution, does the Minix U9 offer any significant improvement over an Nvidia Shield?
Hehe im still torn as i told the seller to cancel my order and seeing the shield is on sale now. Dunno which one to get :/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield vs Minix U9 -h vs cheap android boxes0