Kodi box with external HD
Hi everyone. I'm new to Kodi and am wondering whether Kodi might be the solution to what I've been looking for. Basically I'm looking for a setup that will allow me to play all my movies and photos (approx 50GB). I have an Apple TV but since that doesn't allow for an external HD, it's not an option. I have Plex running on a Mac but that means having to turn on a desktop computer just to access my files which isn't ideal. Then I heard about Kodi but since there are so many options out there I just don't know which way to turn. What is a good, solid Kodi Box that will allow me to plug in an external HD without any fuss?

Many thanks.
As long as the external HDD is powered separately via a powered USB hub, you should be fine with 99% of the pc/android boxes.
Depending on your budget and the complexity of your movies (say h.264 1080p maximum) and photos, a simple and cheap Raspberry Pi 3 setup running LibreELEC could already be an option.
Hello ulfstein

Just to ensure there is no confusion, there is no such thing as a Kodi box.

Kodi is software. You can install on any computer, and you do not need to purchase a "Kodi Box". You can simply use a computer. You can install right now, if you click the Download link at the top of the page.

But, if you are specifically looking for new hardware to install Kodi onto, then have a read of this guide here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

If you have your media stored on your external drives, then Kodi will easily access and play those once correctly set up. That is Kodi's primary function.

50GB is not a very large collection, so I assume this is a single Extarnal HDD you have? A single USB port should be adequate, but I always recommend planning for future expansion and ensuring you have ample ports available. Only you will know how fast your library is growing.

Please browse the link and come back with specific questions if you have any.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I'd get a 64GB SD card or USB stick for that amount of video/music... Much easier than a HDD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi box with external HD0