Another hardware question
Rainbow 
Hi all,

New to this Kodi stuff and trying to choose the right hardware. I’ve been reading through the “get started” thread but am just more confused!

Here is what I want to be able to do:

Play 4k
Play material from usb
Would be a plus if I can use the same device for Netflix/Hulu

I don’t mind doing some diy and my first thought was Raspberry Pi 3 but it doesn’t offer 4k. I like the Nvidia Shield but after reading through few threads here I’m not so sure about using android device.

Any suggestions?
Have you read this thread already? https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
(2017-10-28, 23:57)Klojum Wrote: Have you read this thread already? https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Yes
Please be very specific about the type of 4K viewing required.

Is it 4K HDR ?
4K VP9 of the type Google uses for 4K YouTube ?

4K Netflix?

The reason for all the questions is specific hardware platforms and Operating Systems are better for 4K Kodi HDR than others.
Others are better at 4K Netflix.

(2017-10-29, 02:02)wrxtasy Wrote: Please be very specific about the type of 4K viewing required.

Is it 4K HDR ?
4K VP9 of the type Google uses for 4K YouTube ?

4K Netflix?

The reason for all the questions is specific hardware platforms and Operating Systems are better for 4K Kodi HDR than others.
Others are better at 4K Netflix.

Thinking about 4K HDR - good Netflix 4k performance would be a plus but not necessity since my tv has a built in Netflix app that performs good
DIY 4K HDR LibreELEC Kodi, easiest to use = AMLogic S912's that do auto 1080p / 4K HDR refresh and resolution switching - with correct 4K colorspace switching for 4K HDR video playback.
No 4K Netflix on all AMLogic S912 platforms, some have 1080p Netflix in a Dual Boot setup.  Suggest S912's with Gigabit Ethernet for minimal 4K streaming hassles - like the MINIX U9-H.

Other quality options = 4K HDR capable Vero 4K.

4K HDR Netflix = NVIDIA Shield, with Kodi 1080p / 4K HDR refresh and resolution switching - BUT only problem is there are colorspace issues when auto resolution switching to 1080p / 4K

Suggest you read THIS post about various Kodi Krypton resolution switching issues when using the Shield.

Does this box need to play anime from "scene" sources?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another hardware question0