WDTV to KODI (Transition Help Needed)
I have a collection of movies and for the past 5-6 years I've been using Western Digital's (WDTV Live) TV box for my movies.  Using it as a means to organize my movies with poster artwork and film info.  I LOVED using it because of the ease of WDTV's UI and setup.  When retrieving movie information it would auto-create metadata files, movie artwork, and an XML file with the movie info.  I would delete the Metadata file, swap out the auto generated poster artwork for my own fanart, and edit the XML files to match my movie genre folders.  Plus all you had to do for sub folders is literally label a jpeg file "folder" and throw it in that parent folder and it would generate a thumbnail image for it, simple as that.  

Even though the WDTV box still works, its definitely showing its age.  From lengthy boot up times, information taking forever to compile, and just a generally slow and dated interface, I knew I wanted to upgrade.  I haven't found any specs on it, but I bet the thing has a Wireless N/G antenna, and maybe half a gig of RAM. Plus I just recently discovered that Western Digital officially stopped selling them in 2014 and dropped support for them, which means no patches or updates anymore.  That's when I did some research into a new streaming box and stumbled upon Kodi.  After thorough research over several days, I downloaded Kodi on my main computer and tested it out.  Unfortunately Western Digital and Kodi don't generate metadata info the same way, so I can't just transfer my library from one source to the other.  I believe they use the same source for information (The Movie Database), but WDTV generates 3 separate files whereas on Kodi you have to "Export a Library" and it generates a single .NFO file for each video that you can edit with third party software if needed.  I now have to manually reconfigure my entire film collection and I'm hoping some of the more veteran Kodi users might have a solution for me.  All I need help with is the following.

Obviously I need a TV box that runs Kodi, and there are dozens of these things out there, I don't need a lot of frills, just one that will run smoothly and run basic Kodi and Netflix.  I'm open to suggestions.

I want to know if there is a way to batch edit a group of films to all be the same genre, instead of having to edit each movie .NFO file one by one.

Lastly, I want to know if there is a way to create new "genre" sub-folders.  I noticed that Kodi has some preset folders for genres, but I have more specific folders like "War" and "Disaster" films.  

Any help is much appreciated.  I feel like a dunce just now finding out about Kodi, and it's been around since 2002!  Really is a fantastic piece of software, and a bit intimidating coming from that dinosaur of a box that was WDTV Live.  

Thanks!
Hummm... I wonder if there's some old WDTV Live guys around here?
https://community.wd.com/t/mojo-for-the-...9-12/67169

Seriously though, welcome to the forum. Yeah, the old WDTVs are getting long in the tooth, but fortunately there's plenty of devices you can load Kodi on and have as good or even better experience.

First, don't worry about your old metadata, best to just dump your old WD metadata and just let Kodi rescrap you library. You don't need to worry about transferring that data to Kodi, plus Kodi scraps more data anyway. Since Kodi is much more advanced than how WDTVs handle their data you have many more options on how to organize and to modify your library to your liking.

The first place you should start to get familiar with Kodi is the Wiki, starting with First time user (wiki) and Quick start guide (wiki).

Second, you need to decide on what you want your device to be able to do, what codecs it needs to handle, whether you want something that is only 1080 or you need something that can handle 4K. Do you need HD audio pass-through?

If all you need is something that can play your local media and do Netflix, you may be better off with a device running LibreELEC. You should really check out the Start Here thread in the Hardware section first: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

If you want an Android device that can do more than that, then really, in my opinion there is only one chose, that's the Nvidia Shield: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304226

But I would first suggest you do some reading first, starting with the first link and then look through the Hardware section to get some ideas.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hello LDK5119 and welcome to the Kodi world,

I am also an ex-WDTV user, so believe me when i say you will never look back. Although I must have had an older version box as it never scraped metadata, it just displayed a list of movies

Quote:Obviously I need a TV box that runs Kodi, and there are dozens of these things out there,
I built my own HTPC almost 5 years ago, and it is still running strong.
There are some great hardware recommendations here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Quote:I want to know if there is a way to batch edit a group of films to all be the same genre, instead of having to edit each movie .NFO file one by one.
There are a number of ways to scrape metadata. The first is using Kodi's native scraper. The second way is using a Media Manager. For more info click NFO Files in my signature below

I use a program called Tiny Media Manager (TMM) and it will scrape and create your nfo files which Kodi can read and create the library. There is a batch editor in there. See image

You would use TMM to create the nfo files initially, batch edit your genres.. and then scrape into Kodi.

Quote:Lastly, I want to know if there is a way to create new "genre" sub-folders.  I noticed that Kodi has some preset folders for genres, but I have more specific folders like "War" and "Disaster" films.  
Kodi does not nominate Genre's. They are created from the metadata, either from the scraper site (TMDB) or whatever you nominate in the nfo file.

Hope that helps.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-10-30, 00:53)Karellen Wrote: Hello LDK5119 and welcome to the Kodi world,

I am also an ex-WDTV user, so believe me when i say you will never look back. Although I must have had an older version box as it never scraped metadata, it just displayed a list of movies

Sounds like a you were an old gen1'er. Wink
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
That sounds about right. A very small box not much larger than an optical disk.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
All of them, with the exception of the HUB which had a 1TB HDD in it, were about the same size.

But they had the WDTV Live, then the Live Plus, then the HUB, the SMP and then what ever came after it which was just a SMP without Netflix. I had them all other than the Plus and the last one. Plug one in about a month ago, and good grief it was slow. Don't know how I lived with it.

Oh, almost forget about the short lived Play, which was a disaster.
Just rummaged around my junk cupboard, and found it. It is a "WD TV Mini Media Player" which I purchased circa 2009, and I attached1TB HDD via USB to it. I was the envy of my friends back then.... hehehe how times change. Had never heard of Kodi at that time.
My Signature
(2017-10-30, 00:23)LDK5119 Wrote: I have a collection of movies and for the past 5-6 years I've been using Western Digital's (WDTV Live) TV box for my movies.  Using it as a means to organize my movies with poster artwork and film info.  I LOVED using it because of the ease of WDTV's UI and setup.  When retrieving movie information it would auto-create metadata files, movie artwork, and an XML file with the movie info.  I would delete the Metadata file, swap out the auto generated poster artwork for my own fanart, and edit the XML files to match my movie genre folders.  Plus all you had to do for sub folders is literally label a jpeg file "folder" and throw it in that parent folder and it would generate a thumbnail image for it, simple as that.  

Even though the WDTV box still works, its definitely showing its age.  From lengthy boot up times, information taking forever to compile, and just a generally slow and dated interface, I knew I wanted to upgrade.  I haven't found any specs on it, but I bet the thing has a Wireless N/G antenna, and maybe half a gig of RAM. Plus I just recently discovered that Western Digital officially stopped selling them in 2014 and dropped support for them, which means no patches or updates anymore.  That's when I did some research into a new streaming box and stumbled upon Kodi.  After thorough research over several days, I downloaded Kodi on my main computer and tested it out.  Unfortunately Western Digital and Kodi don't generate metadata info the same way, so I can't just transfer my library from one source to the other.  I believe they use the same source for information (The Movie Database), but WDTV generates 3 separate files whereas on Kodi you have to "Export a Library" and it generates a single .NFO file for each video that you can edit with third party software if needed.  I now have to manually reconfigure my entire film collection and I'm hoping some of the more veteran Kodi users might have a solution for me.  All I need help with is the following.

Obviously I need a TV box that runs Kodi, and there are dozens of these things out there, I don't need a lot of frills, just one that will run smoothly and run basic Kodi and Netflix.  I'm open to suggestions.

I want to know if there is a way to batch edit a group of films to all be the same genre, instead of having to edit each movie .NFO file one by one.

Lastly, I want to know if there is a way to create new "genre" sub-folders.  I noticed that Kodi has some preset folders for genres, but I have more specific folders like "War" and "Disaster" films.  

Any help is much appreciated.  I feel like a dunce just now finding out about Kodi, and it's been around since 2002!  Really is a fantastic piece of software, and a bit intimidating coming from that dinosaur of a box that was WDTV Live.  

Thanks!

I wanted to quickly thank everyone for the replies.  All of your information has helped me immensely.  I'm slowly figuring out all the little quirks, and gradually organizing my movie library how I'd like.  I do have one more question however, and after this I should be set.

Is there a way to add movie sets to genres, like a sub-folder?  When opening a genre folder, it seems to just compile all the movies in one list instead of rendering the sub-folders for film collections.  This isn't that huge a deal, but I like a more clean look, and having sub-folders helps a lot in maintaining that.  I know I can just go under the "files" section and view them this way, but this also nullifies all of the movie information and only displays the poster art.  Is there perhaps an "add on" where I can apply this method and arrange my movies as such?
Glad it has been of help to you.

As for your movie sets question, have a read of this wiki page which was only recently updated. Section 2 talks about settings and will achieve what you are after.

Enjoy Smile

--- Edit ---
Oops. You probably need the link... Movie_Sets (wiki)
My Signature
(2017-10-30, 06:41)LDK5119 Wrote: Is there a way to add movie sets to genres, like a sub-folder?  When opening a genre folder, it seems to just compile all the movies in one list instead of rendering the sub-folders for film collections.  This isn't that huge a deal, but I like a more clean look, and having sub-folders helps a lot in maintaining that.  I know I can just go under the "files" section and view them this way, but this also nullifies all of the movie information and only displays the poster art.  Is there perhaps an "add on" where I can apply this method and arrange my movies as such?

It also depends on the skin and what it allows. Some skins can be highly modified and allow you more control over how you view your library.
Thx guys, I'm sure a little more tinkering and I'll be able to get it setup like I'm wanting.
(2017-10-30, 07:54)Karellen Wrote: Glad it has been of help to you.

As for your movie sets question, have a read of this wiki page which was only recently updated. Section 2 talks about settings and will achieve what you are after.

Enjoy Smile

--- Edit ---
Oops. You probably need the link... Movie_Sets (wiki)

The expert settings under the library tab did the trick, selecting "show movie sets" compiled my movie sets within the genre folders exactly like I was wanting.  Not the same as WDTV, but hey, works for me.  Now's time to play the the inner workings of Kodi and mess with some skins and whatnot.  

Again, I can't thank you all enough for welcoming me to the community.  It's going to be a long week or two of organizing, but I welcome the challenge, lol.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WDTV to KODI (Transition Help Needed)0