Win Black screen after wake-up from standby
Recently my Kodi always shows a black screen after wake-up from Windows 10 Standby, when using Settings:Display:Full-screen. This problem does not occur, when using Settings:Display:Windowed.
When I re-connect the HDMI cable, the black screen disappears and the Kodi home screen is displayed.
I'm not sure, whether this started with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update or with installation of Kodi 17.5.
Does anyone have an idea, what could cause this?
I was about to do a post on this to let people know I’ve found a temporary solution.

The problem is the W10 creator update. I solved this issue last night by rolling back my latest version update. Google roll back w10 creators Update.

My resume from sleep is working fine now.

Unfortunately I didn’t get any logs so have nothing to post maybe you can capture logs which may assist in a long term solution.

My htpc is an amd A10 APU. Kodi 17.5.
I had a bit more of a play with this last night after rolling back the creators update.

I installed windows tool wushowhide.diagcab which prevents the installation of the update. While doing this I noticed the Radeon graphics drivers were also updated during the update. I’ll have a play this weekend to see if it was the drivers or the update that created the issue.
(2017-11-01, 22:47)Heustroh Wrote: Recently my Kodi always shows a black screen after wake-up from Windows 10 Standby, when using SettingsBig Grinisplay:Full-screen. This problem does not occur, when using SettingsBig Grinisplay:Windowed.
When I re-connect the HDMI cable, the black screen disappears and the Kodi home screen is displayed.
I'm not sure, whether this started with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update or with installation of Kodi 17.5.

What graphics card are you using?
(2017-11-02, 23:52)MadibaJ Wrote:
(2017-11-01, 22:47)Heustroh Wrote: Recently my Kodi always shows a black screen after wake-up from Windows 10 Standby, when using SettingsBig Grinisplay:Full-screen. This problem does not occur, when using SettingsBig Grinisplay:Windowed.

I also struggled with this what I found was to use the Microsoft hdmi sound driver this is a problem of a loss of hdmi handshake upon resume
there is software to correct this but it never worked for me this problem, doesn't happen for me when resuming into start page only into kodi 
but what I did was program kodi shutdown into my harmony remote and now if I get black screen I turn kodi off and the restart it .its a bit of a pain
but it works by the way this is a windows 10 issue win 7 no problems

rew88
After further tests I found that black screen only appears after wake-up from Windows 10 Standby with "sign-in options:require sign-in" = "never". Using "sign-in options:require sign-in" = "When PC Wakes Up From Sleep" is an acceptable workaround to me.
(2017-11-02, 23:52)MadibaJ Wrote:
(2017-11-01, 22:47)Heustroh Wrote: Recently my Kodi always shows a black screen after wake-up from Windows 10 Standby, when using Settings:Display:Full-screen. This problem does not occur, when using Settings:Display:Windowed.

I'm using the internal graphics of my Intel NUC5PPYH.
 Same problem for me. since Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. I use a Radeon HD6450 card.

Despite the blank screen, Kodi is alive as I can navigate in the UI and it displays correctly in a remote VNC session. Sending a "Resume screen" command remotely (through Eventghost) has no effect.

When activating debug mode, I noticed that FPS drops from around 50 in "normal mode" down to 2FPS after the buggy resume with blank screen.

I can resume until something is triggered "outside Kodi" (for example pressing Ctrl+W to open the Windows menu) or until is switch to windowed mode (Ctrl+Enter).

I setup a workaround consisting in sending a "Minimize window" command and a "Maximize window" command when resuming but a real fix of the issue would be nice.
I have the exact same issue. I usually press the / key twice on keyboard to switch to window mode and back to full screen mode. After that it all works without issues. Seems to me that this is a kodi resume issue, because Windows is working fine.
The issue is more related to display management: when Kodi changes video resolution for video playback (swithcing from 1080p@50Hz tp 1080p@24Hz), same issue on both TV output (HDMI) and video-projector output (DVI): screen goes blank.
And activating another window than Kodi resumes display.

Any idea ? This is really ennoying as my HTPC is remote-controlled (no keyboard)
(2018-01-09, 00:05)wawa79 Wrote: The issue is more related to display management: when Kodi changes video resolution for video playback (swithcing from 1080p@50Hz tp 1080p@24Hz), same issue on both TV output (HDMI) and video-projector output (DVI): screen goes blank.
And activating another window than Kodi resumes display.

Any idea ? This is really ennoying as my HTPC is remote-controlled (no keyboard)
For me what helped was to disable "Use FullScreen Window". But yeah, this is very annoying problem.
I was experiencing the same problem - and related issues to do with Window Placement.

I made some changes to an existing project called RestoreWindows which now wakes my screen up (it "presses" the windows key twice and sets the foreground window). Just run it on start up and it seems to work just fine with Win1709. (This should also work for Media Portal too - although I've not tried it)

https://github.com/sbs20/RestoreWindows
(2018-01-27, 17:49)sam_strachan Wrote: I was experiencing the same problem - and related issues to do with Window Placement.

I made some changes to an existing project called RestoreWindows which now wakes my screen up (it "presses" the windows key twice and sets the foreground window). Just run it on start up and it seems to work just fine with Win1709. (This should also work for Media Portal too - although I've not tried it)

https://github.com/sbs20/RestoreWindows
This is great! Can you also make it so that it restores HDMI sound in kodi? I now have the problem that kodi loses sound after resume, when the HDMI display was not started before the HTPC. This is very annoying, and I always have to kill the kodi task, and start kodi again to restore sounds.

p.s. I did try changing my monitor EDID inf driver in safe mode, but it wouldn't work as the inf driver was not 64 bit or something like that.
Thanks, but how does the executable work? 
I run it and it does nothing.
I put it in shellConfusedtartup and does not solve the issue.
Is it a service?
Does it have to be scheduled to run?
Can you provide some more details on "RestoreWindows.exe"?

Regardless of the workarounds which are not acceptable in my case, will Kodi team get that issue fixed?
Note that my current workaround is to use Launcher4Kodi and specify:

1. Kodi to close during Suspend
2. Kodi to start when resuming from Sleep

As you understand, if I pause a movie or TV and in the meantime HTPC goes to sleep then I have lost the movie/TV episode I'm watching so not acceptable workaround.

We need a fix for that please Kodi team.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen after wake-up from standby1